Should I become a hairdresser?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zach

Reaction score
I'm a guy, which isn't really the problem. I just would like to know if it's something I should pursue. It's the only career I can really see myself in realistically. I have incredibly good grades in High School, but no academic careers interest me so much. I think the working environment seems really enjoyable to be in. Is the pay enough to be comfortable with?
Opinions and personal stories please! :Love:

I was the same as you. I did really well in highschool, but just wasn't interested by any other academic careers.

I've just finished my hairdressing training now, and while I love the industry and think I will enjoy being a hairdresser, I know that it is not a well paid job and will involve lots of hours.

In my area inparticular, most stylists are on minimum wage, which is £5.93 currently (About $10)

when you first start out in hairdressing as an apprentice the wage is £95-100 a week. i worked in two salons through my training, the first was AWFUL. the people there treated me awfully, even point out ignoring me sometimes when i tried to start up a conversation with them! i worked 42 hours a week, and every day i had to ask if i could go on my break and eat something, i would have around 10 minutes lunch then back to work again, it was awful!! i was shouted and sweared at in the face for absolutly nothing, then when my boss had a call from the education authority she made us take an hours break, so that is the legal requirement. i then moved to another salon, it was a million times better, the people were so passionate about hairdressing and were always travelling to shows etc, i went to a catwalk show with them and it was incredible, i had 45 minute lunch and 50 hours a week for £95 so the hours were more, but you werent in a hurry to havve your lunch, it was an actual BREAK lol! the main thing was that the people were lovely we would all go out for a drink after work and it was just a much happier enviroment to work in. wages for graduated stylists vary according to salon and experience, for example, some salons in a rough council house area give out minimum wage, average suburban salons around £8-9 an hour for stylists, senior stylists, and then creative directors and managers will earn around 10-15 an hour, depending on experience and quality of salon. it takes anywhere from 10-25 years to become a creative director, manager, salon owner. toni and guy give out the best wages in comparision to other chains such as regis, umberto giannini, saks, but toni and guy stylists have what is called a toni and guy diploma where they train extensivly for 6 weeks in the london or manchester studios. wheras the other chains dont do this. when you are a nvq level 2 stylist and nvq 3 thats all they care about! the maximum wage you can obtain in this business is as a session stylist. where you travel round the world to catwalk shows such as london fashion week and can earn 20,000 a day!! or have your own chain company such as toni mascolo founder of toni and guy, who then opened the sister chain essensuals, and have the product chain label.m and toni and guy products in boots, this man is a BILLONAIRE. his daughter sacha mascolo-tarbuck is close on his tail too and has an estimated fortune worth 750m, imagine how much she'll have in inheritance afterwards too when her dad goes!

Only go into the career you really love doing, no matter what it is. You spend most of your waking life at work and even if you have a terrific work-life balance, it's an awful lot of hours to be doing something you don't really love.

It helps if you have the knack for your chosen profession and that there are openings and the possibility of earning good money.

I suppose what I'm really trying to say is, if you WANT to do, then go for it.

Latest posts

Back