Should I just give up?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfp1980

Reaction score
Nail extensions are not my strong point, and I've not been completely happy with one set yet that I have done.

I haven't charged anybody and have taken before and after photos so I can use as case studies but I don't even feel they are even good enough to use.

When do you decide enough is enough and accept that an area is just not your forte? How long did it take everyone else to do perfect 10's??

Feel so deflated after spending so long doing a set, only for both myself and the client being disappointed 😟

I think this is a hard skill to master and you have got to do a great number to get good. How often are you practacing?

Don't give up!! Practice practice practice....makes perfect :) what products are you using and who are you training with? X

I did my course with a local supplier - and was trained and I use cuccio T3 gel.

I'm probably not practicing enough but half of my friends can't have nails for work - my family don't want extensions and I don't want to do clients if I can help it because I don't want them to feel I'm inadequate 😩

I have already returned to the course provider to sit in on the practical of another course - I just feel useless 😪 xx

I could of written this post myself!!! Feeling exactly the same, any clients I get only want gelish, most my family work in hospitals so can't have them and I'm left with no ginea pigs for my acrylic !! :( argh xxx

Practise makes perfect! You could advertise for models on Facebook & only charge them a small fee. This means you are covering your costs, starting to get your name out there & getting that all important practise.

Don't get disheartened by it all, you will get there in the end! Have you tried calling Cuccio Head Office to see if you can get some technical support from their customer service team?

Alison :)

When I first qualified in Gelish I advertised for people to come and have the treatment in exchange for a bottle of wine as I'd only just qualified, I was inundated with people (and wine lol) but the experience I got from it was invaluable and most of these people are regulars now :)

Have you thought about buying a training hand? They're invaluable when your learning and you don't have to worry about getting models although the more 'real' nails you can do would be good too.

I have one of those!! There amazing :) and you can take your time.....also if you get some thing wrong you can pop the nail off and start again without feeling embarrassed. Love love my training hand. I think you can get them on ebay or essential nails do them x

Muzza love the wine idea!! :) x

The other thing you could do, is if a client comes in and they've broken a nail, offer to sculpt them a replacement 😊

Rather than committing to doing 10 at once, start small.

I'm currently having the very same issue with hard gel. I do my own - even my less dominant hand - and they're lasting and looking good.

I just don't have the confidence to sit down and do a whole set on somebody else. It's so silly and I'm so frustrated with myself because it's only me getting in the way.

So I've asked a few friends if I can do just a couple of nails for practice, and I push myself to offer sculpts if someone's lost a nail.

I think the baby steps approach is better for me 😊

HTH xx

I am at the very early stages of learning acrylics with CND, and so far have only practiced on the Trainer hand (which has really big nail beds) my own nails and my daughters nails.

I too, (like yourself) was thinking of giving it up, it did make me wonder how many other people find this stage very difficult, especially as the acrylic is so difficult to remove, my own nails are paper thin at the moment.

However, all that said, this site and it's lovely members have offered me some invaluable tips + lots of encouagement, and also we have invested a fair amount of money to get to this stage so we owe it to ourselves to continue and not give up.

Good Luck

Nail extensions are not my strong point, and I've not been completely happy with one set yet that I have done.

I haven't charged anybody and have taken before and after photos so I can use as case studies but I don't even feel they are even good enough to use.

When do you decide enough is enough and accept that an area is just not your forte? How long did it take everyone else to do perfect 10's??

Feel so deflated after spending so long doing a set, only for both myself and the client being disappointed ��

I did a beauty course 10 years ago loved nails but same as you gave it up
I always regretted it so decided a couple of years ago to do a course at college to retrain as my confidence was so low

I now love doing nails I still don't have a lot of confidence to go mobile properly but I have a nail trainer and use that a lot I also do my own nails
and I get a lot of compliments but I make myself do my own nails each week or im sat in front of the tv with nail polish and tips
my weak point is nail art
it took me a while to get my speed up but that was through practise at lot of practise
watch youtube for inspiration
if you enjoy nails don't give up

Hi Hun, when I trained in nails extension I advertised on facebook explaining that I just qualified and that I wanted models to practice on and asked to pay me £5 to cover the cost of the products.

If you explain that you just qualify and how long it takes you they won't expect a perfect set.

I had lots of people replying to my posts and just under 2 weeks I was confident enough to charge full price.

My training was excellent though so for me was more about practice and gaining confidence.

Don't give up hun, I'm sure all you need is keep practicing, we all been there and we are all here to help you

Xxx

Thank you everyone for your positive comments - I will definitely get a hand and practice - and put a post on FB asking for models - hopefully i will improve - I struggle with tip application if the lady has flat nails, and they are also bumpy even after filing..there were 1 or 2 nails that I was happy with but I just end up all bumpy even after filing... It's
Embarrassing lol xx

I've been looking on eBay at the hand trainers 😉

I was going to put a photo on the thread but I'm too embarrassed 😆🙈🙊 xx

I was going to put a photo on the thread but I'm too embarrassed 😆🙈🙊 xx

Don't be embarrassed! Honestly, we've all been there, we all did our first set at one point and none of them were perfect :) I bet no-one on here can say their early nails were beautiful lol Some might have got there quicker than others but still we were all novices once.

Post a picture. No-one will laugh or be horrible but what we can do is give advice and tips and tricks. I used to post my early sets a lot and got really helpful advice.

Oh my heart went out to you. I did exactly the same. Trained ten years ago or so with LCN (gels) then CND a always hated my results doing acrylics and gel. Did lots of extra one to one courses and still couldn't get rebalance And gave up nails. Looked back over some old photos and realised they were not as bad as I thought.
Did a Shellac course two summers ago to restart doing manicures and pedis and shellac. Did one paying customer who to be fair the minute she sat down and slagged off another technician I felt deflated. I knew she would return and she did. The shellac "fell off"!!!!
Always had a problem with thick top coat despite buying two new bottles - invested £90 in one of those nail shaking machines (seriously I had to laugh at my self over that). My next step could be another course but I'm just about ready to give up again. That and people in my area are doing shellac (that's what they advertise as) at nearly half the price I was recommend to charge by cnd!
I have a lovely set up at home - feel frustrated fed up annoyed - you name it!!!!!!

Don't be embarrassed! Honestly, we've all been there, we all did our first set at one point and none of them were perfect :) I bet no-one on here can say their early nails were beautiful lol Some might have got there quicker than others but still we were all novices once.

Post a picture. No-one will laugh or be horrible but what we can do is give advice and tips and tricks. I used to post my early sets a lot and got really helpful advice.

Thank you Pure....promise not to laugh 🙈🙉🙊 to be fair the lady had really short bitten nails/cuticles so it was a mare dry prepping but still...xx ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1422104893.058135.jpg

Latest posts

Back