Should I re-trade into the Beauty and Wellbeing Sector?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rizzix

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Strange one for you -

I'm currently in the RAF as an IT geek. However, with current SDSR stuff, reasons to stay in the military becoming few and far between, and the civilian IT industry being massively over-saturated; is it worth re-trading into Hairdressing and following my wife?

Basically it got suggested half-heartedly at first, but the more I think about it the more it seems like a good idea. My wife has followed me from posting to posting for 4 years now, and has been out of work (she's a qualified nvq2 hairdresser) whilst we brought the kids up. I feel it would be nice for me to learn her trade and follow her to let her career be nurtured.

Now that the kiddies are nearly school age, she would be looking to get back into the hairdressing scene.

So, my questions:

-Would my wife need to attend any sort of 'refresher' course to get back into it or would she learn new techniques through experience?

-How long would it take (roughly) for me to learn and qualify as a hairdresser?

-Are male hairdressers sought after or avoided?

-Of course, the dream being to own a hair salon together; what would be the best path to try to meet this goal? (or would we have to go with other options first?)

-and lastly; with the current economic climate, is it foolish trying to start up with this industry? Or is it florishing?

Sounds all a bit crazy at first, but if the opportunity was there I'd put all my effort into this venture

Sorry for the wall of text, but any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks ever so much in advance! :lol:

Last edited:
Hmmm, maybe I should have posted this in the hair forum or chit chat? Doesn't seem to be much activity here at the mo :(

Thanks for responding :)

Yeah it does help tbh - it'd be nice to see the majority of people agree that the idea has potential.

Either that or I can find out early if it's destined for crashing! :p

Latest posts

Back