Should I train in Hairdressing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxy vixen

Reaction score
Hi im on here all the time but never really post anything but would like some advice please. I am a full qualified beauty therapist and have had my own hair and beauty salon for over four years now. I love what I do and its all going well but im interested in doing a hairdressing course so I can expand on what I offer. I currently have a self employed stylist and she is great but I also have an empty station that is going to waste. I was talked out of doing hairdressing when I was younger by a guidence teacher at school but have always wanted to do it. I dont know if it would be worth doing a course now as I dont know if a beauty therapist also doing hair would have the same credibility as a stand alone stylist. I wouldnt want to take clients away from my exisiting stylist and after trying to rent out the position over and over I never seem to get the right type of person. Sorry to ramble on but im almost 27 and dont want to wait untill I have family to start training again from scratch if I do decide to retrain. Any advice?

Vicky x

I am not gonna stamp on your dream by saying "don't do it". However it is a complete trade and not an easy one to master. I too am a salon owner and wouldn't dream of taking the time out from my salons to go and learn another trade.

As for credibility, I don't really know. A salon owner I used to work for years ago was a qualified hairdresser but worked as a therapist(we used to do a 3 year combined hair /beauty in those days). She did the odd bit of hair, but refused point blank to do any when I was present as she felt awkward and cack handed compared to me. In turn, I have not really done any beauty since I left college.

My bit of caution is that it takes in my experience, around 10 years to become a truly established and accomplished hairdresser with a good clientele. Some really talented stars acheive it a bit quicker, some never get there at all.

If you look for salon trained hairdressers around age 25-30 for your salon you will not go far wrong.

Hi Persianista thanks for your reply. I have bitten the bullet and applied to my local college for SVQ Level 2 Hairdressing on a part time basis. It will take two years. I will find out if I can realistically put enough time and effort in to the course before I commit because I dont want to go in to it half heartedly or compromise the beauty side of things. I had a look at the Saks fast track course and was accepted but I wasnt convinced one day a week for a year would be enough for me to be completely confident in what I would be doing even though it would be the quickest and least time consuming option.

Latest posts

Back