Show us your Shellac French

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Studio white is not meant to be a solid white, but a softer white. It doesn't wrinkle like cream puff so you can go a little heavy with it and the topcoat will fix most ridges. I sandwich my French. Base, pink of choice, white tip, clearly pink, then topcoat.
Thanks for this Chickafish, I was just thinking to ask about how to get a nice soft while when I read your answer, cheers!

I used Studio White in the pic I posted too, it was two coats. I learned a tip from the Fingernail Fixer that I do every time. When you have painted your white, take your flat oval brush and gently swipe away a tiny margin at each corner, so that your top coat completely covers and encapsulates your white. This will prevent chipping at the corners.

Also make sure your free edge isn't bulbous.

Right I've just done a french on myself using studio white, was very difficult cause my nails are so short and I really struggled with getting a block colour wih studio white without it being bulgy at the free edge.did 2 coats and none wrinkled.

Here's the results ladies....
Be honest, If I did these on you- would you pay? Dunno if I've got serious self doubt or I'm just naff at French!

Xx ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1407006250.435047.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1407006275.834325.jpg

You should get full coverage with two thin coats of Studio White. If you find them going bulbous at the free edge try painting them down the nail towards the free edge instead rather than going across the nail with your brush. Or if you really like painting your French that way, just go down the nail after to remove any bulbs.

You should get full coverage with two thin coats of Studio White. If you find them going bulbous at the free edge try painting them down the nail towards the free edge instead rather than going across the nail with your brush. Or if you really like painting your French that way, just go down the nail after to remove any bulbs.

Thanks Hun, I did do this. Dunno if they are actually bulbous n I'm just not used to having a slight raise on the tips.

What do u think from the pics? X

Advice I got for shorter nails of tie nails is to use a dotting tool instead of your brush. Maybe this would be easier?
Personally I would prefer a slightly thicker smile line but it's harder on short nails to not make if too thick so if doesn't look odd.

Thanks Hun, I did do this. Dunno if they are actually bulbous n I'm just not used to having a slight raise on the tips.

What do u think from the pics? X

To be honest, it's really hard to see from the pics. Fingernail Fixer has several videos covering French, including one that focuses on getting it thin. I do one colour coat of Grapefruit Sparkle and then two of Studio White, so I accept that I will be able to feel that on the nail, but the white is nice and flat with no bulbs.
The only time I painted side to side my client had an issue, so I went back to painting the way I do and never have any issues. However, I have been working on the other way as I'm sure it's probably quicker.

Ahh I love doing French! Here's mine using Negligee and Creme Puff...ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1407107588.618625.jpg

I used Studio White in the pic I posted too, it was two coats. I learned a tip from the Fingernail Fixer that I do every time. When you have painted your white, take your flat oval brush and gently swipe away a tiny margin at each corner, so that your top coat completely covers and encapsulates your white. This will prevent chipping at the corners.

Also make sure your free edge isn't bulbous.
That's an interesting tip, would you happen to have the link to the video that was in? My brain just isn't quite seeing what you mean...

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1407128973.339026.jpg

Practice practice practice!!

That's an interesting tip, would you happen to have the link to the video that was in? My brain just isn't quite seeing what you mean...

Subscribe to the FingerNail Fixer on Youtube and have a browse. She has so many helpful videos on there, for me to link this for you would take me too long to find. Your best setting aside some time to go through them all and enjoy them at your leisure. :)

This is my last French done for a bride last week on natural nails. I used grapefruit sparkle, cream puff and a few swarovskis 💅

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1407139395.703884.jpg

Loads of practice, when we get newly qualified girls start at the salon we get them to do it in varnish to start with and using dark colours. Try lots of different angles, rest your hand in something and it will just click when you get the right position xx hth

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1407247304.906914.jpg
Did my first ever French today and after reading all of your comments on this thread I went freehand and didn't use the guide stickers I bought! There are a couple of dodgy bits but not too horrendous for a first attempt (I don't think 😖)

Thanks ladies! My French in studio white is holding up fine so far and I've made sure to give it some grief ;)

Funny thing is I can paint an awesome smile with any other colour but I find creme puff to thick if applied normally and streaky if applied thinly and studio white I feel has to be blobbed on thicker than other colours to establish the smile and get an opaque-ish finish

I've attached a pic of my current *ahem* mani.... I know my nails are awful but I'm trying to grow them :)

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1407264970.888437.jpg

Beau/Negligee & Cream Puff x

Sent from The Bat Phone

Attachments

• 1407318074162.jpg
    1407318074162.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 323
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1407370467.175172.jpg
Beau/Cream Puff/Silver Vip

Latest posts

Back