Single therapist businesses - how do you cope with being extremely busy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, read and absorbed! Policies on the wall? That's not something ive done before due to working on my own but can you give me an idea what things you put up in writing? Thank you for your time hun x

I'm off today ill pm u the pics of them tomorow :) first one on the list is "no huffing or sulking!" Haha I remember that one 😂

Haha, no huffing or sulking.. Love it! So tempting to put that on display 😀😀😀

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

This thread is so helpful to read.
I've been in my new beauty room (rented within a hair salon) since march and sometimes find it so difficult to switch off.
Somedays, like today I worked 10am-9.30pm and yesterday was a later start but still a long day. I'm so bad for saying no. I have my open hours for example on a sat 10-3 but I always end up doing 8.30-5/6/7 sometimes 8 at night! My room is tiny and I don't know whether to take the plunge looking for a salon and employing an apprentice. It's difficult though because some days can be dead! How do you know when you should expand?!
I'm trying to be more firm with my open hours but I just think if I don't get everyone in its money lost and they might not ever come back! I can't complain because I love what I do but sometimes I just find myself (like now) not being able to switch off and have to be up early for another busy day!
I have one friend who works in an office and moans when she has to do the late shift until 6.30!! I'd love it if I could finish that early!!!

This thread is so helpful to read.
I've been in my new beauty room (rented within a hair salon) since march and sometimes find it so difficult to switch off.
Somedays, like today I worked 10am-9.30pm and yesterday was a later start but still a long day. I'm so bad for saying no. I have my open hours for example on a sat 10-3 but I always end up doing 8.30-5/6/7 sometimes 8 at night! My room is tiny and I don't know whether to take the plunge looking for a salon and employing an apprentice. It's difficult though because some days can be dead! How do you know when you should expand?!
I'm trying to be more firm with my open hours but I just think if I don't get everyone in its money lost and they might not ever come back! I can't complain because I love what I do but sometimes I just find myself (like now) not being able to switch off and have to be up early for another busy day!
I have one friend who works in an office and moans when she has to do the late shift until 6.30!! I'd love it if I could finish that early!!!

lol this sounds like whats in my head right not

re the issue to expand or staff..

I would need to take someone on but don't want to as the thought of the extra work it would involve is putting me off

ive kinda set a target in my head of when im so much booked up in advance ill take someone on

I thought about an apprentice and i did have a saturday girl for a while but i dont have time to spend with them so i have taken people on on a commisson basis. I didnt really want the extra hassle of tax/ni/holiday pay etc plus this way i also believe people work harder as the harder they work and upsell snd get people in the more they earn and so do i!! When there are two of you working st same time its much easier and iu dont need to work such long hours. I LOVE what i do BUT i also have a family and want time to go out for dinner or chill etc, of your working all hours when you do have time off your knackered!!!

Jo who works for me i met through salon geek, she has a home salon but its also nice to be in a salon part time (gets her out the house as she would put it) the second girl im talking to is also from here but i dont know her. For me what works in my salon is the personal approach, so the fact i knew jo before she worked for me i knew she was like me in that she does the same training as me, she loves the beauty shows, demos, is on here etc

souz - what does on a commission basis mean exactly?

I presume self employed as they only get a commissions of the treatment. If they are employed they have to receive minimum wage (commission can be used but it must equal or be more than minimum wage) and the employer deals with all PAYE stuff. Having self employed staff has it's pros and cons but you just keep it legal from HMRC's pout of view.

Jemima :)

It means that instead of paying a daily rental to use the room they pay me a percentage of what they earn, it differs everywhere but can be 60/40 or 50/50 split. They are self employed and tell me what hours they can work and what they offer. They are responsible for their own tax and ni as they are self employed. Obviously of its quiet for them they dont earn but then i dont get my percentage either. This way means they can earn double nmw and work hours to suit them but also suit me.

Im looking forward to a time where this is a problem for me! Just started renting a room in a salon and I'm sat twiddling my thumbs (on salon geek!) as we speak!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

This has been great to read.

Iv had my business for a year in July
I was mobile fri/sat until December and then I rented a floor above a hairdressers from dec until present. I'm currently renting 2 places to boost my clientele as the hairdressers is full of very mature clients who don't want things doing.

I can't wait to be busy! I'm giving my notice in at the hairdressers tomorrow and keeping the sunbed shop going. Iv had loads of interest but with only working there mon-wed Iv been turning people away for the weekend as they don't want to come to the hairdressers.

It's been very hard and Iv had to put up with some nasty stuff from the hairdressers below.

It's onwards and upwards now!
Iv taken notes and il be implementing them when I need too.

This has been great to read.

Iv had my business for a year in July
I was mobile fri/sat until December and then I rented a floor above a hairdressers from dec until present. I'm currently renting 2 places to boost my clientele as the hairdressers is full of very mature clients who don't want things doing.

I can't wait to be busy! I'm giving my notice in at the hairdressers tomorrow and keeping the sunbed shop going. Iv had loads of interest but with only working there mon-wed Iv been turning people away for the weekend as they don't want to come to the hairdressers.

It's been very hard and Iv had to put up with some nasty stuff from the hairdressers below.

It's onwards and upwards now!
Iv taken notes and il be implementing them when I need too.

Good luck with yiur new venture

Ive found that wed to sat is manic where tuesdays are either dead or busy....ive even contemplated closing on tuesdays and opening later wed-fri permanently

Hope it all works out for you

I'm a 'one girl band' busy therapist.

I now allow all clients to book online 24 hours a day via Salon Lite. It's convenient and it saves clients emailing me/calling and waiting for a reply (they can just book themselves in whenever it suits them).

Perfect!

How do you find time to put your appointments in though? I'd love a system like that....

How do you find time to put your appointments in though? I'd love a system like that....

You put your opening times in, put your treatments in, cost and timings (make sure you put time in for consultation). If you want to block yourself out you can (so no one can book at that time).

When you add clients into the database you have an option to allow them to book online, you must have their email address to do this. The system sends them a link to set themselves up (it's very simple).

They log in, choose the date, treatment and it will give times that are free. You then get an email to say that a client has booked online. The booking gets put in your calendar for you.

I use www.salonlite.com it's free and very user friendly.

That sounds brilliant! Off to google it right now.... Thanks so much!

Thanks, read and absorbed! Policies on the wall? That's not something ive done before due to working on my own but can you give me an idea what things you put up in writing? Thank you for your time hun x

I've been trying to send these via pm but not working I'm not sure if I'm having issues with the app or my phone so ill just put them on here instead, ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1401390653.655270.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1401390662.724400.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1401390671.102108.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1401390683.165986.jpg

The 1st 2 are reminders on what's expected policy wise the 3rd is a list for when their bored (they edited themselves) and the 4th is what their working towards, lol they had a little heart attack today when they saw me taking pics they thought I was going to add more to it! Haha

omg your wayyyyyy worse than me lol!!!

To be honest I've realised I'll wreck myself if not careful

I'm such a healthy fit strong person but just don't seem to have the energy for it all

I think my head is still where it was when I started... the mentality of take all the business to build be perfect and amazing

Sooo took onboard advice from here and put in 30 min lunch this week it was hit and miss - today I wolfed my porridge when a tan customer was drying lol o god but its a start

I get what you mean about feeling trapped in your room

I've also decided to stop doing treatments that are less profitable, not as popular or I don't enjoy as much - starting to streamline down and be more focused

I'm putting my prices up on certain things - today after a facial one of my lovely customers told me that I should charge more for them haha she even advised how much I should raise it by and weirdly that was the figure was in my head

I've been turning away customers .... BUT... I feel loyal to my regulars who supported me in the early days and really were amazing so I try my best to look after them

I'm spreading the word book in advance (here people are notoriously last minute - very laid back)

I'm going to be better re facebook and text bookings late at night - I'm resisting the urge to reply tonight lol

It's hard!! I love making money

I have a holiday coming soon that will give me time to recharge and think

But basically I want to stay loving what I do and financially I'm in good position so I'm going to work at a more controlled pace

Gina - how can you physically cope with all that? What do you think you could do?

I used to dream about being this busy and I'm so grateful I am.

Physically I'm fine. I do about 50 hours a week in salon and paperwork and stuff at home.
I have a cleaner at home so I don't do that.
I see a chiropractor every 5 weeks for my back.
I have a personal trainer twice a week at the moment so I think that helps with stress.
I've just had a week in gran canaria, got a weekend in Barcelona in June, 4 days in Italy in July, a weekend at v Fest in aug and a week in Portugal in Sept.
So my answer is holidays!!! I don't take any days off other than if I'm on holiday. And I always do extra hours leading up to my hols to make up for it.
I don't go out at weekends really as I'm too tired but I've got my hols.
Book a holiday hun xx

Ok...I have a question for all you super busy ladies. How did you get to the stage where you were so busy? Was there one thing im particular you did?

Ok...I have a question for all you super busy ladies. How did you get to the stage where you were so busy? Was there one thing im particular you did?

When I started I had 0 clients and knew no one in town.
I was in the salon during opening times always (I'm above a hairdressers)
In case of walk ins.
I spent time at the hair reception greeting clients taking coats etc to get to know those clients, offered free file and polishes etc.
I handed out price list in the high street.
I took price lists with 50% off cards to shops and restaurants in the high street.
I figured 50% of something was better than nothing.
I offered a free treatment to owners of bars and restaurants if they would put my leaflets in their ladies loos.
I gave every customer lots of recommend a friend cards - I called them 'double discount cards' they both get 50% off - again I might as well be doing clients half price rather than doing nothing. This took off amazingly well, everybody wants something half price!! I encouraged everyone to put them in their staff room, notice boards etc so they could get lots of half price treatments. As my client base grew I dropped this offer to 25% then 20% and now I don't offer it at all I just say thank you very much for recommending me :)
I posted a lot on face book. Any gaps I had I did a flash sale text now for half price treatment.
I send out a newsletter every month. I always collect email address and my letter goes out to about 700 now.
I go through my record box every 3 months and if someone hadn't been for 6 months I send them a letter and a discount card for 25% off valid for 2 months.
I was available at anytime for any client in the beginning and was very flexible.
I invested in great brands HD, Lycon, Dermalogica, Fake Bake I think using known brands helps.
I pay a premium listing for yell.com which I think is about £14 a month but think it's worth it.
I invested in an amazing website and it was worth every single penny and it's top in google for my search listings.
I also have google places review which put it to the top.
I'm super excited about my profession and I think it's infectious.
I suppose I'm not very professional at work In all chat chat chat and my clients know all about my life, it's not for everyone but I think it's given me a great client base that feels like lots of friends.
With 50 hours a week in now book till 14th July (but I'm away 10th-12th) but I've even where I am for 6 years
I'm so dedicated to my work and clients and they know that.

Lots of other stuff that I can't think of now but marketing marketing marketing x

When I started I had 0 clients and knew no one in town.
I was in the salon during opening times always (I'm above a hairdressers)
In case of walk ins.
I spent time at the hair reception greeting clients taking coats etc to get to know those clients, offered free file and polishes etc.
I handed out price list in the high street.
I took price lists with 50% off cards to shops and restaurants in the high street.
I figured 50% of something was better than nothing.
I offered a free treatment to owners of bars and restaurants if they would put my leaflets in their ladies loos.
I gave every customer lots of recommend a friend cards - I called them 'double discount cards' they both get 50% off - again I might as well be doing clients half price rather than doing nothing. This took off amazingly well, everybody wants something half price!! I encouraged everyone to put them in their staff room, notice boards etc so they could get lots of half price treatments. As my client base grew I dropped this offer to 25% then 20% and now I don't offer it at all I just say thank you very much for recommending me :)
I posted a lot on face book. Any gaps I had I did a flash sale text now for half price treatment.
I send out a newsletter every month. I always collect email address and my letter goes out to about 700 now.
I go through my record box every 3 months and if someone hadn't been for 6 months I send them a letter and a discount card for 25% off valid for 2 months.
I was available at anytime for any client in the beginning and was very flexible.
I invested in great brands HD, Lycon, Dermalogica, Fake Bake I think using known brands helps.
I pay a premium listing for yell.com which I think is about £14 a month but think it's worth it.
I invested in an amazing website and it was worth every single penny and it's top in google for my search listings.
I also have google places review which put it to the top.
I'm super excited about my profession and I think it's infectious.
I suppose I'm not very professional at work In all chat chat chat and my clients know all about my life, it's not for everyone but I think it's given me a great client base that feels like lots of friends.
With 50 hours a week in now book till 14th July (but I'm away 10th-12th) but I've even where I am for 6 years
I'm so dedicated to my work and clients and they know that.

Lots of other stuff that I can't think of now but marketing marketing marketing x

Thank you so much this is amazing advice. I love the part where you say it's better to have a customer paying half price than nothing at all.
Im building up from scratch and facing an empty appointment book! Im trying not to be downhearted but it hard....especially when you offer a free file and polish and someone looks at you like you've said something really offensive!!!

Fab thread, thank you all, am learning lots

Think of those gaps as opportunities to see new customers.

Give lots of gift vouchers to charities, hospital raffles, school fun days etc.
Lots of people do things for charity in the summer.
I do the vouchers for £10 so they have to contribute too and you can give them rec a friend cards.

Put pictures on Facebook. Maybe start a blog?

Latest posts

Back