Skincare advice please, new salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBJ

Reaction score
Hi Everybody...

I am a qualified therapist and am looking for a good skincare range to use in the small salon I am opening...I know I will be unable to have an account without actually being physically trained by the range supplier (which I will be doing)..but in the meantime I would like to offer facials to clients in the interim.. do you have any suggestions as to my initial skincare range?

There is another therapist in the same building using dermalogica so I would like to avoid that one as I think it's good for clients to have a choice and also it seems silly to use the same product when I would either need to fall in line with her prices or be prepared to justify a higher or lower price (ie..will it look greedy and unreasonable and put off clients, after all why would they want to pay more .. or would it look cheap and nasty and possibly appear that I was offering a lesser service) ..any suggestions/advice welcome

I have considered all of the salon brands then wondered if I should pitch a Neals Yard range initially...but not sure that's the right thing to do...hope someone can help

Thanks x

If she is selling dermalogica I would take that as a pro, I think people just buy into dermalogica because they are good at marketing, I think the products are terrible.
If you are going to be focusing on skin and results driven facials I would look at products like Aestheticare skin care ranges and dermaquest. (We currently use aestheticare and used to have dermaquest)
For general skin care for pamper, relaxation facials I like Elemis and Espa.

You are going to get lots of recommendations but really you need to narrow it down do lots of research and see which are the right products for you.
Xx

So you've got two issues at the moment: what to use for now and what to use in the future. If you're going to invest in a high end brand later (and it sounds like that's what you want to do) then it doesn't make much sense to buy another one for now. Better to save your money, because you'll need to buy quite a bit of stock for use and retail. Also it does sound like you're overthinking things a little, I'd concentrate on reading up on the kind of brand you eventually want and in the meantime offer normal unbranded facial treatments (underrated imo).

If she is selling dermalogica I would take that as a pro, I think people just buy into dermalogica because they are good at marketing, I think the products are terrible.
If you are going to be focusing on skin and results driven facials I would look at products like Aestheticare skin care ranges and dermaquest. (We currently use aestheticare and used to have dermaquest)
For general skin care for pamper, relaxation facials I like Elemis and Espa.

You are going to get lots of recommendations but really you need to narrow it down do lots of research and see which are the right products for you.
Xx

Hi Paige...I am not a keen dermalogica fan either to be honest...at the moment I think I will head towards relaxing facials...but obviously I don't want to be too short sighted and ignore the other side of skincare completely .

I will look into Elemis and Espa a bit more thanks...and the aestheticare and dermaquest obviously too.

Thanks for taking the time to reply...lots of food for though and V helpful..thanks x

So you've got two issues at the moment: what to use for now and what to use in the future. If you're going to invest in a high end brand later (and it sounds like that's what you want to do) then it doesn't make much sense to buy another one for now. Better to save your money, because you'll need to buy quite a bit of stock for use and retail. Also it does sound like you're overthinking things a little, I'd concentrate on reading up on the kind of brand you eventually want and in the meantime offer normal unbranded facial treatments (underrated imo).
Thanks PamieD...you too are offering good advice...and I certainly take on board the unbranded facial products in the interim...I will do some more research (as I have said above)..to be honest you are definitely right...I am a self confessed over thinker..salon geek is brilliant for me .. loads of help and advice out there...as you say ..further research to be made I think so thanks for replying..I am very grateful..you are very kind to help out x

Hey, I don't know the salon. But for skin care you can have the massage therapy at home also. Because massage is the only way which protects the skin from fast aging. Refer cellublue.com for this massage therapy as it is the name of the small suction cup which is used for massaging only.

Equally, I dislike Dermalogica and their training was pretty bad.
It's such a difficult decision to make when starting out and budget is minimal. As PamieD suggests above, start with a more affordable range that you can buy in small amounts. Gradually you'll build up clients and in a year or so you'll know which brand will go down best with their likes, age and spending habits.

Equally, I dislike Dermalogica and their training was pretty bad.
It's such a difficult decision to make when starting out and budget is minimal. As PamieD suggests above, start with a more affordable range that you can buy in small amounts. Gradually you'll build up clients and in a year or so you'll know which brand will go down best with their likes, age and spending habits.
Hi..that's brilliant..thanks for your help...I think the sensibly priced skincare range and then consider further investment later....will probably use the beauty suppliers products that I trained with who have been supplying business for 28 years so they are obviously doing it right !. Thanks or the reply x

Hi Everybody...

I am a qualified therapist and am looking for a good skincare range to use in the small salon I am opening...I know I will be unable to have an account without actually being physically trained by the range supplier (which I will be doing)..but in the meantime I would like to offer facials to clients in the interim.. do you have any suggestions as to my initial skincare range?

There is another therapist in the same building using dermalogica so I would like to avoid that one as I think it's good for clients to have a choice and also it seems silly to use the same product when I would either need to fall in line with her prices or be prepared to justify a higher or lower price (ie..will it look greedy and unreasonable and put off clients, after all why would they want to pay more .. or would it look cheap and nasty and possibly appear that I was offering a lesser service) ..any suggestions/advice welcome

I have considered all of the salon brands then wondered if I should pitch a Neals Yard range initially...but not sure that's the right thing to do...hope someone can help

Thanks x

Hello! I wondered if you had look at Katherine Daniels Cosmetics? I would really recommend looking at this brand!

Have a look at Eve Taylor. Very reasonably priced, small opening order and great results. You won't want to change to another brand once you've used Eve Taylor.

Hi Everybody...

Thanks x

Hi. I completely agree in having something different from demalogica. Have you looked into the Neals Yard ethos ect clients love it. Im a neals yard consultant in Hertfordshire. We use it in our salon and I also do it on the side. Our clients absolutely love it. Its such a well known brand that it really does sell itself. I was surprised at how many people were already using their skincare. Have you seen the £50 joining offer running this month? Its a great opportunity to get the full starter kit for the lowest price. Please let me know if you would like anymore information. I'd be happy to help.
Lauren
x

Hello! I wondered if you had look at Katherine Daniels Cosmetics? I would really recommend looking at this brand!
Hi Kristie...that's brilliant...I will have a look...thanks so much xxx

Hi. I completely agree in having something different from demalogica. Have you looked into the Neals Yard ethos ect clients love it. Im a neals yard consultant in Hertfordshire. We use it in our salon and I also do it on the side. Our clients absolutely love it. Its such a well known brand that it really does sell itself. I was surprised at how many people were already using their skincare. Have you seen the £50 joining offer running this month? Its a great opportunity to get the full starter kit for the lowest price. Please let me know if you would like anymore information. I'd be happy to help.
Lauren
x
Hi Lauren that's really helpful..thank you very much x

Have a look at Eve Taylor. Very reasonably priced, small opening order and great results. You won't want to change to another brand once you've used Eve Taylor.
Hi White satin ...I will def have a look...thanks for your help x

did you get sorted with a range? So difficult to make a decision, I know when I first started out I used Solutions by hive and clients were polite, they enjoyed the relaxation but never had great results or were interested in buying. I stuck with it for a while then went to a more professional brand, Repechage, clients were shocked at the price increase but once that experienced the facial they were quickly hooked. It will be difficult to go from an interim brand to professional.

Hi Everybody...

Thanks x
Have thought about natural elements it all natural ingredients and essential oils if you would like more information drop me a message

I tried emailing them but it won't let me register. How do you go about starting off with the small packages and what not

If you are looking for a skin care range which will sit well with facial electro therapy then take a look at Crystal Clear. They do the full range of units and products ranges.
Good opening package deals too . For example microdermabrasion unit plus products and training round about the £2,500 mark to give you a guideline ...

I tried emailing them but it won't let me register. How do you go about starting off with the small packages and what not

Have you tried phoning them? You need to send copies of your facial qualifications before you can register.

Look no further than Eve Taylor if you want a longstanding, reputable, professional ONLY brand at sensible pricing...you will not change once you start with them. Fabulous. S xxx

Latest posts

Back