Small Children

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachaelsbeauty

Reaction score
As a mobile beautician/nail technician it's really difficult when your client has a baby or small child especially when they are having their nails done it can take me up to an hour and a half. Can anyone give me a friendly phrase to use to my clients about ensuring someone can look after their children during appointments. Thanks

Im afraid that's why a lot of clients will choose a mobile nail tech/hairdresser etc, because they have small children. I know that was my reason, it was a faff finding childcare for 3, so I opted for a mobile hairdresser.
I will admit it can be a pain though sometimes. But, you just have to work around it!

I'm following this ..... It's so annoying but I too can't find a friendly notice :-/

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Something like:

To ensure you get the most from your treatment I'd appreciate it if babies and children were occupied during your time with me. I also carry sharp implements and chemicals and I wouldn't want any little people to hurt themselves, thank you :)

Not sure how you would word it but they should also realise that it takes you extra time whilst they "take care" of their little ones which can make you late for your next appointment. I find this really annoying as it makes me all flustered and I hate being late!

Karaxxx

I think it comes with the territory, most people chose home visits has it is convenient for them. i am not sure there is a lot you can do about it.

Kids I can deal with, its the smokers that drive me NUTS!!!
Im the most anti smoker person in the world, I seriously cant even say the word c*****ttes!!
Im ridic I know....lol! :rolleyes:

I would tell them, I will give an extra 15 minutes for free after that it is an additional fee for your time, explain that you want to give the best service and be on time to every client and when it takes all this extra time, your then late for the next client.

I had a client that would insist on breast feeding whilst I did her nails....really...I'm here for 45min of the day and you can't feed around it...(by the way it's not a problem with breast feeding it's the faff around it) it made the appointments very hard, not to mention her other young child going through all my stuff!!! 😳 I smiled sweetly because I didn't really know how to go about it without offending her! She doesn't book anymore and to be honest I had a little sigh of relief xx

I'm sorry, but I have a 28 month old, and a 16 month old. I wouldn't book anyone to do anything to me without childcare. Seriously. I love my children to the end of the earth, but they are a total pain when I'm trying to do my own nails, let alone anyone do them for me. As for hair, not a hope! Couldn't imagine them riffling through my hair clippings. As a mobile tech, I've had to deal with a 2 year old when doing a clients gel extensions. To be fair, the little girl was brilliant. Had a 4 year old when doing a gel colour. After 5 minutes of her whinging about wanting to go "she was bored" (we'd literally just started the clients nails), I wanted to strangle her!

I have no advice, just sympathy!!!!

I need a notice too, seriously I love and adore children but when parents don't stop their kids from touching my stuff I want to scream.

Only the other week a child tried drinking my santatiser, whilat mummy dearest giggled how cute he is?!?! Yes he'll be real cute when he's in hospital having his tummy pumped!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I am another one who chooses mobile so that I don't have to find childcare for my 2 yr old. I do try to ensure she's occupied but it isn't always possible.

As for the breast feeding, no you can't just do it at another time. If baby is hungry then baby needs feeding!

That unfortunately its the JOY of being a mobile therapist. You just dont know what awaits you until you're there. Either not having a way to set up properly or having kids/babies added into the equation. Its a constant improvisation and being able to be very flexible to the situation at the time. Its not ideal but thats the nature of the job. If you choose to only do jobs where there are no children/babies then you may loose clients! Its a difficult balancing act :o

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
I use small children as a selling point. 95% of my clients are mums to be or mums with small kids. You have to work around it. I tell clients that if they have small children to let me know so I can schedule extra time. At least then I know what I'm walking into. With toddlers I give them a job. If I'm waxing its their job to sit on the sofa and pass me strips or spatulas. If I'm doing nails, its their job to sit on the sofa after I've given them a sheet of couch roll to rip it up as small as they can. Kids like doing stuff. It doesn't matter what. The 2 minutes it takes me to clear up a sheet of ripped up couch roll is worth it.

I just think what would entertain my toddler and go with that.

Little kids are fine it's dogs that are harder a dog stole my nail file while I was working and u can't tell off a dog.

A lot of my clients have small children at home, and that's the reason they contacted me in the first place, and didnt go to a salon.

As annoying as it can sometimes be (especially tiny babies who start to squeal half way through mums Brazilian!) I embrace it.

If a client has a small child at home, I allow an extra 15 mins. I also carry a box of crayons, and some self designed nail template sheets. I give these to the little ones and get them to design mummy's next nails for her!

It works well, for the first 10 minutes or so, after that I kind of wing it!

Most mums are great and will already have little one sat in front of a movie, or settled with a favorite toy. But for the one or two who don't, I put on my super nanny voice and try to engage them from a distance.

Probably helps that I was a qualified nursery teacher for 11 years before turning to beauty!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

If you are mobile, it's the joys of the job!!
I was once a single mum to a disabled boy and when I needed treatments doing, I had to get a mobile therapist out ... If somebody come into MY house and told me to get somebody to watch my children, I would soon tell them where too go!!

I find it can be easier if maybe u have 2 friends having treatments together that way one can watch the kids whilst the other can have her nails done. Win-win

I do not think you can expect clients to get child are for their treatments. It s reasonable to expect them to try to have them settled if possible and not touch your equipment. The breast feeding first comment suggest the OP hasn't breastfed before. breastfed babies generally feed on demand, not every four hours like bottle fed babies. So often feeding during an appointment cannot be avoided.

I agree with letting clients know they can have an additional 15 minutes but after that there is an additional charge.

Ask the mum if you could have a glass of water, when she's out of the room tell the small child that you have a special tub filled with gunge for them to play with. Once the house is covered in wax you can act out the 'unfortunately, this is why I ask if small children can be cared for else where while I'm working. '

Latest posts

Back