Snobby clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dollface2305-x-

Reaction score
Hey geeks just wondered if any of you have experienced snobby rude clients who tell you what to do and question everything you do and how you deal with them? I had one on Saturday and I keep thinking she is going to come back and kick off. I know I shouldn't take it personally but I can't help it and I keep wondering whether I am actually any good at hairdressing

Hey geeks just wondered if any of you have experienced snobby rude clients who tell you what to do and question everything you do and how you deal with them? I had one on Saturday and I keep thinking she is going to come back and kick off. I know I shouldn't take it personally but I can't help it and I keep wondering whether I am actually any good at hairdressing

One previous client springs to mind and was very difficult to handle. Please don't allow her to undermine you or make you question your ability.
If they are really awful then I would suggest they seek treatment elsewhere as clearly they are not happy with the treatment provided by me.
The day when they turned up 2 hrs late and expected me to treat them I explained clearly that I would not be doing so ever again.

What actually constitutes a snobby rude client?

As a client my hair is extremely important to me, and I want to know what my stylist is going to do and how she is going to do it, and what the finished result should be.
Of course it should all be discussed in the consultation, but if I wanted to know something during the treatment I would ask.
If whoever was doing my hair seemed unsure or nervous I would then become nervous too and possibly ask even more questions.

I don't think I am snobby or rude, I just want my hair to look good.

I'm a nail tech and I have a couple of pernickety clients, but again they love their nails and want them to look good, I actually don't mind this as I feel the same, and I thankfully have all the answers to their questions.

Being confident in yourself and your work is the best way to deal with questioning clients, rudeness is something altogether different.

Thankyou for the advice skingeek78, I felt like passing her the scissors and being like here you go just give me my scissors back at the end

As a client my hair is extremely important to me, and I want to know what my stylist is going to do and how she is going to do it, and what the finished result should be.
Of course it should all be discussed in the consultation, but if I wanted to know something during the treatment I would ask.
If whoever was doing my hair seemed unsure or nervous I would then become nervous too and possibly ask even more questions.

I'm a nail tech and I have a couple of pernickety clients, but again they love their nails and want them to look good, I actually don't mind this as I feel the same, and I thankfully have all the answers to their questions.

Being confident in yourself and your work is the best way to deal with questioning clients, rudeness is something altogether different.

I agree Izzidoll,
To answer for me, I have high maintenance clients, some would make people run. I also expect an awful lot of questions especially at the outset because of the nature of treatments that I offer. This I can handle and I class it as part of my job but outright rude I will not, I have had people who might seem rude initially but experience tells me sometimes this is fear, I always persevere unless the alarm bells go and I believe they are not suitable for treatment. In the case I mentioned above this person questioned me professionally, constantly spoke over the top of me, refused to heed important treatment advice, was rude and created a scene with reception staff, used derogatory language and turned up consistently late. She is one of a very small number I would class as rude, she happened to be snobby, to define snobby for me, in this case she was condescending not just to me but other staff and felt that she was entitled to behave exactly as she pleased.

Thankyou for the advice skingeek78, I felt like passing her the scissors and being like here you go just give me my scissors back at the end

You have to feel comfortable, sometimes high maintenance are our best customers, they pay well and take an strong interest in how you treat them, but there is a difference between being harder to manage and rude.
If someone oversteps the boundary and you feel they have become unbearable and unmanageable then I think you are best suggesting she seek treatment elsewhere. Some people need to be involved in treatment but others just need to press buttons.

The way she was it felt like she was looking down on me, she kept making rude remarks and telling me I should be cutting her hair like this not like this, she was rude to our receptionist as soon as she sat in the chair I knew she was going to be a pain, and she thought she would be done in 20 minutes told her husband he phoned her wondered why she wasn't finished and then she got annoyed at me because I hadn't finished.

The way she was it felt like she was looking down on me, she kept making rude remarks and telling me I should be cutting her hair like this not like this, she was rude to our receptionist as soon as she sat in the chair I knew she was going to be a pain, and she thought she would be done in 20 minutes told her husband he phoned her wondered why she wasn't finished and then she got annoyed at me because I hadn't finished.

Heyyy i also have had a few customers that have under mined my abilities and i have now realised that you do not have to put yourself in that situation. Usually wen someone sits down and says "im extrrmely fussy and whatever u do i probably wont like" or "if u dont do it exactly like my last hairdresser i wont be happy" my usual responce is "im really sorry but i feel i have been hairdressing long enough to ensure you that you will recieve a perfect treatment but due to the faith not even being there in the first place i will have to refuse your custom"
This may sound harsh but i had a very very horrible lady complain about her hair (as it wasnt exactly how her last hairdresser did it) she went as far to call hmrc and when she found out i was completely legit she came back to my treatment room attacked my mom (who was bringing some tint bowls in she had washed 4 me) and took £35 out my till. I will never ever put myself or my family in that situation again.

If the faith isnt there in the first place then let it be someome elses issue!
Obvioisly if they come in and ask alot of questions that is different. And more than happy to answer anything and if the consultation is done correctly and in depth then 9 times out of 10 the client is ususally relaxed.
My story is of course right up there with client from hell mooost clients are lovely x
Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think calling the people who pay your mortgage/rent/food bills "snobby" is a little unappreciative.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think calling the people who pay your mortgage/rent/food bills "snobby" is a little unappreciative.

I guess it depends on the definition

I can count on one hand the clients I have had like this in 16 years, I like people who ask questions because I like to give people the correct information, but there is a big difference in someone asking questions and someone being rude arrogant or thinking you are less intelligent than them because you are a hairdresser, Im firm with these people and don't let them compare me to anyone they have had in the past, I will not be spoken down to and there are some people that this is what they want to be able to do to you is undermine to make them feel superior, it won't work with me :)

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

I had a client last night who wanted a treatment. He snapped at me when I asked if he waslooking for more moisture in his hair or frizz control. I didn't get to see his tural hair as he had gel. He then refused to let me put a hot towl on him. He wanted me to massage for 4 minutes.

The previous time he came in he had told me I made him horny...

I think if you are self employed you have one of the best advantages that you can refuse to treat someone f they are being rude, aggressive, making you feel uncomfortable etc!!! Surely that's one of the positives of having your own business.
However I feel it's much highly professional if you keep your cool and remain professional as you can throughout the treatment as already mentioned these ppl are paying our bills... But again. Just because they are paying us doesn't mean we have to sit and be abused. Some clients think that they are right and that is that and of they kick up a fuss they can get things free.... And they go about it in the wrong way by kicking off or making you feel like absolute crap!!!
I would never turn anyone away.. Ever! I would never be rude either as I respect my clients 100% however if I had a horrible client in who made me feel like rubbish (as I'm very sensitive I would feel rubbish for the next 5 days) I would forget about the £22 for shellac and I would tell her that she is making me feel uncomfortable and she would need to leave. As we do not deserve that!!
But this hasn't happened to me yet where I've felt really uncomfortable... Me being me I would more than likely do the treatment, take the money double check everything was ok but never ever book that client back in!! Otherwise for whatever money they are giving you.. Leading up to a week before their appointment u are going to dread it!! I couldn't cope with that

Nicola! Xxx

Thankyou everyone for the advice think I need to try and be a little less sensitive! I'm not unappreciative I understand that they pay my bills etc but I don't appreciate being spoken to like crap and being looked down on just don't think there's any need for it xx

Thankyou everyone for the advice think I need to try and be a little less sensitive! I'm not unappreciative I understand that they pay my bills etc but I don't appreciate being spoken to like crap and being looked down on just don't think there's any need for it xx

There is a difference between a demanding client and a rude client. I don't think you were being unappreciative. Rude there is no need for x

Sometimes clients need to be managed. Taking a guess, if you thought she was 'rude and snobby' your body language would have been off to begin with. Plus, if you have that in your head, you were possibly defensive and gave off negative vibes.
Put yourself in her shoes, she's probably saying the same thing about you!
Chances are that she won't return, so problem solved.

A wise old hairdresser once told me that we all get the clients that we deserve.
Make sure you deserve the high spending ones, and not the over friendly but skint ones.
Clients are never, ever your friends, they are your living, and should be treated with the utmost respect. Coming onto a forum to slag one off is not showing respect. You'd be mortified if she was doing that to you right now. You have to BE the hairdresser that they respect, it doesn't come as standard.

I had a client last night who wanted a treatment. He snapped at me when I asked if he waslooking for more moisture in his hair or frizz control. I didn't get to see his tural hair as he had gel. He then refused to let me put a hot towl on him. He wanted me to massage for 4 minutes.

What?!? 😂 That's grose!! I think if a client had told me I made him horny, I would totally avoid doing his hair ever again Lol!!

Wouldn't call that snobby, I would call that pervy

What?!? 😂 That's grose!! I think if a client had told me I made him horny, I would totally avoid doing his hair ever again Lol!!

I can't. I'm an apprentice. XD

I would tell your manager ! Its just plain wrong x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back