So disappointed - do you offer more than one brand?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bag.Puss

Reaction score
So, after training and investing with Harmony in the UK - we all know that mounts up - I've moved to the other side of the world (Australia) to find that Gelish CAN be bought by all in the local 'Superdrug' kind of store, along with the mini LED lamp and all the prep. Not only that, but you can - as a local lady pointed out - buy it on eBay for the equivalent of £10 a bottle, the ad reading 'imported from the US'.

I know being able to buy it doesn't mean you can apply it like a tech and the teeny finger lamp probably doesn't match the 18g, but still....I'm facing a bit of resistance and flapping a bit as Gelsih doesn't seem to be seen as a premium or purely professional brand.

How do you US/Canadian techs fair, Gelsih being accessible to the public? Do you offer another brand/s of overlay? What other brands can I use my 18g lamp with?

I really like working with Harmony products and am thinking if I offer another brand, I can maybe get clients in and maybe convert them, but I'm also thinking about the costs...

Help, please! Sorry to harp on.

I live in canada in the province of quebec and gelish is not sold to the public. Unless you buy it from ebay. Else than that you have to go through suppliers that only sells to qualified nail techs. But like with every product some people qualified buy and resell to public. Its bad but is always happening! I offer shellac but was thinking if adding gelish! Lol hth xx

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek

Here in Ontario the public can buy all of the Gelish products at Sally's

I offer mainly Shellac but still do a bit of Gelish along with it for those clients that need the added strength (with out paying the extra cost for smoothing gel underneath) or for the more popular colour choices.

But if you find the area you're in doesn't respect Harmony as a pro brand, I would phase it out over time to help with the cost. As colours from your Gelish supply run out, purchase another brand (making sure you also have the Base & Top for the new brand). There are brands that only require a generic 36watt lamp so you may still be able to use your Gelish one, but you'll have to inquire with the company to make sure.

I live in Mandurah, Western Australia and we can't buy gelish over the counter it is a professional only product. You can buy a cheap version of a uv gel called luminail but thats it. Where have you seen gelish available to the public?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using SalonGeek mobile app

I live in Mandurah, Western Australia and we can't buy gelish over the counter it is a professional only product. You can buy a cheap version of a uv gel called luminail but thats it. Where have you seen gelish available to the public?

I've seen it in several Priceline stores in QLD, more specifically the local mall in Cairns where I've just moved to. Displayed on a rack, front of the shop with a great range of colours, mini lamp and essentials; very much for the DIYer, the only difference being the size; all are mini. It's so disheartening as I'm already invested through training, equipment and product (love Harmony acrylic as well as gelish)

Even one of the suppliers suggested I try something else...

I offer mainly Shellac but still do a bit of Gelish along with it for those clients that need the added strength (with out paying the extra cost for smoothing gel underneath) or for the more popular colour choices.

But if you find the area you're in doesn't respect Harmony as a pro brand, I would phase it out over time to help with the cost. As colours from your Gelish supply run out, purchase another brand (making sure you also have the Base & Top for the new brand). There are brands that only require a generic 36watt lamp so you may still be able to use your Gelish one, but you'll have to inquire with the company to make sure.

Thanks for your help. Can your clients buy both Shellac and Gelish at Sally's, or just Gelish? I'm wondering if there's an altered perception, brand wise or in general, for products the public can buy?

Hoe crazy the difference from one province to another! We dont even have sally's in quebec lol!

Here in the US, you can buy pretty much anything anywhere without a license. Most "pro" stores sell to non-pros, you can get anything online and Gelish mini is sold in Sally's. Although several lines are considered professional lines, including Gelish, the easy availability of them all blurs the line a bit. In fact, I think it is no longer a solid line, but a range with harder to get brands like Young Nails, ACG, Jessica Geleration, CND Shellac, OPI GelColor, perceived as more pro, and easier to get brands like Gelish, SuperNail ProGel seen as less pro. Additionally, you have the consumer lines like Red Carpet Manicure, Sally Hansen, etc. available at Ulta, CVS and even Walmart. I think people do perceive the difference between all the pro line and these consumer products.Also, it's not just the product but the lamp. I think the investment in a pro- level lamp marks one as a professional.

That said, business here for gel polish manicures is booming - the fastest growing segment of the salon market. Gelish is a huge chunk of that market, along with OPI GelColor and CND Shellac. A number of people may attempt to DIY, either with a consumer kit or a pro product, but the vast majority give it up.

I would recommend that you make your decision based on whether the product meets your overall needs, not just the perception of it a pro brand - within reason, of course. I would look askance at a pro who trotted out RCM or Gelish mini and a consumer level lamp!

Wow theres definitely no gelish at the priceline stores over here... I use cnd shellac but have used gelish, I buy both from a professional supplier. I do find that clients prefer shellac, although I think its more that they just know the name of it better...

The Gelish Mini bottles are readily available from Price Attack and Hairhouse Warehouse here in Adelaide for $20.

Thanks for your help. Can your clients buy both Shellac and Gelish at Sally's, or just Gelish? I'm wondering if there's an altered perception, brand wise or in general, for products the public can buy?

No they can't buy Shellac from Sally's - CND only sell through specific pro only distributors - Harmony license some distributors that sell to the public as well as pros (Sally's here in Canada, not sure of other countries). That's their brands choice, however much we all disagree ;)

Hoe crazy the difference from one province to another! We dont even have sally's in quebec lol!

You're lucky you don't have them! Sally's sells so much pro products to the public!

Here in the US, you can buy pretty much anything anywhere without a license. Most "pro" stores sell to non-pros, you can get anything online and Gelish mini is sold in Sally's. Although several lines are considered professional lines, including Gelish, the easy availability of them all blurs the line a bit. In fact, I think it is no longer a solid line, but a range with harder to get brands like Young Nails, ACG, Jessica Geleration, CND Shellac, OPI GelColor, perceived as more pro, and easier to get brands like Gelish, SuperNail ProGel seen as less pro. Additionally, you have the consumer lines like Red Carpet Manicure, Sally Hansen, etc. available at Ulta, CVS and even Walmart. I think people do perceive the difference between all the pro line and these consumer products.Also, it's not just the product but the lamp. I think the investment in a pro- level lamp marks one as a professional.

That said, business here for gel polish manicures is booming - the fastest growing segment of the salon market. Gelish is a huge chunk of that market, along with OPI GelColor and CND Shellac. A number of people may attempt to DIY, either with a consumer kit or a pro product, but the vast majority give it up.

I would recommend that you make your decision based on whether the product meets your overall needs, not just the perception of it a pro brand - within reason, of course. I would look askance at a pro who trotted out RCM or Gelish mini and a consumer level lamp!

Thanks for your detailed reply. I agree with your comments on DIYer's using both pro and consumer products; you aren't going to get the results with an inferior product or application.

Whilst I'm disappointed Gelish doesn't have the brand presence here in Aus as it does in the UK, I do believe in the product but I'm not convinced I'd be doing myself any favours offering 'only' the brand clients can pick up at their local mall.

Hmm. I think I'll have to ponder the some more.

Wow theres definitely no gelish at the priceline stores over here... I use cnd shellac but have used gelish, I buy both from a professional supplier. I do find that clients prefer shellac, although I think its more that they just know the name of it better...

Glad there's no Gelish at your local Priceline! The thing about Shellac, for me, is changing my lamp. I possibly going to need to branch out, and 'Shellac' is what clients all ask for, even if its just in more generic terms. Still, I love my 18g...

The Gelish Mini bottles are readily available from Price Attack and Hairhouse Warehouse here in Adelaide for $20.

Thanks; Adelaide, too :(

Do you use Gelish, and if so, does the retail effect your business?

Yes I've seen the Gelish mini's in at hairhouse warehouse... also saw them on ebay, one was called Gelish, looked exactly like it but wasn't even from Nail Harmony, it was CCO. I wrote to the seller, but she stupidly told me that the Gelish brand she was selling was CCO and apparantly that is ok. Ultra cheap as well. I recently saw Orly in a chemist as well. I use OPI and NSI polish pro, and would also use Shellac if I had the CND lamp for it. (I've even seen Shellac sold on eBay). However, clients are still getting it done professionally. Maybe People want a larger choice in colours and can't stock the amount that a professional would.

Latest posts

Back