Someone in my area falsely promoting Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I was just looking at other nail & beauty websites I came a across a salon in Sheffield that on their drop down menu under nails says 'Gelish (also known as Shellac)' !!!!!! I agree why not just get Shellac instead of blatantly lying as Gelish & Shellac are very different products.

Arghhhh!! It's things like this that really wind me up!! Gelish and Shellac ARE totally different products, and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with offering 2 products ( in fact I am planning to myself ) but as professionals I think it is important that we differentiate between the two for our clients and not offer them as the 'same thing' especially when one buffs and one doesn't! Just because they both come in bottles and cure under a lamp does not make them the same!!! That is just such an uneducated mentality to have... Makes me wonder if these people are even qualified?!

Rant over :green:

But I also agree with you girlies that are saying we should rise above it and concentrate on our own thing :) BUT IT'S SO HARD!!! Especially when I hear time after time 'Shellac is bad' 'Shellac kills your nails' 'Shellac thins your natural nail' Like you, Eskimo - I would defend Shellac to the ground but the more I hear it, the MORE it annoys me, and the person I am on about in my original post is actually a qualified tech, but clearly has a couldnt-care-less attitude. I know she buys from S2 - so maybe I should inform them? I do not want to be mean as I'm not a mean or malicious person but when this persons actions are affecting my business, and the reputation of Shellac, surely S2 (lovely people that they are) would feel they have a duty to protect Shellac, its users, and reputation. Oh I just wish I could call the nail police :(

Mooey, it is frustrating. We have "posers" all around. They advertise Shellac knowing full well that's not what they're putting on the client. I've had to remove my share of the fake crap. And yes, we have to dispel the myth that Shellac is bad for the nails based on what other people are doing.

I've completely changed how a lot of people feel about Shellac because in the past they've had bad experiences with what they were told was Shellac or had bad applications of Shellac. They're converts now.

The only thing we can do is keep on keeping on and do what we do best....THE BEST.

Mooey, it is frustrating. We have "posers" all around. They advertise Shellac knowing full well that's not what they're putting on the client. I've had to remove my share of the fake crap. And yes, we have to dispel the myth that Shellac is bad for the nails based on what other people are doing.

I've completely changed how a lot of people feel about Shellac because in the past they've had bad experiences with what they were told was Shellac or had bad applications of Shellac. They're converts now.

The only thing we can do is keep on keeping on and do what we do best....THE BEST.

I know, I know, I need to get over it! But I just can't! It never bothered me as much when I was an employee, but as a business owner it drives me mad!! NSS is one thing, but someone who IS qualified and buys from S2 is another. I guess there isn't anything I can do about it... Just loose business from those who have been there and think Shellac is sh*t and kills their nails :mad:

Don't get me wrong - I manage to explain and convert everyone who comes to me but think of all the people out there I will never get to see and never get to put right? It's a killer for our industry and I hope one day something can be done rather than having to sit back and let it happen. COME ON THE NAIL POLICE! ;) :lol:

This depends on how the tech prepped the nails, applied the shellac. Was it real shellac or another product? Were you given aftercare advice and told to apply solar oil everyday? I have never had shellac fade, so this i find wierd
for what i could see it was shellac,and no there was no aftercare advise.

I've been to a few places in my local area to have my nails done as I really miss the pampering element of it.
However, even after I tell them I am a Mobile Nail Technician they still have done it wrong!
I have wanted to say something to them but, didn't know exactly what to say so just squirmed for the duration of the treatment.
If any of my clients end up going to these places as they are running cheaper deals etc, they always come back to me as the know the level of my training and qualifications AND that I am applying it in the way it was designed to be.
It's frustrating but they won't last if their clients aren't happy.

Latest posts

Back