Someone in my area falsely promoting Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooey

Reaction score
As the title says really... What would yo do? There aren't enough rules and regulations in this industry to do anything serious about it... But it is really annoying me! Said person files & buffs the natural nail prior to application & removal- giving Shellac a bad name, promotes gelish & Shellac as the SAME thing... Clients go in there, ask for Shellac and come out (not knowingly) with gelish... 'Nuff said!!!

ah that goes on every where, just do your own thing. if you do a good job your clients will be happy and keep coming back to you, that's all that really matters i think.

With the Shellac salon certification coming out across the UK soon this will help clients become more aware if salons who aren't offering the full system!

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using SalonGeek

As the title says really... What would yo do? There aren't enough rules and regulations in this industry to do anything serious about it... But it is really annoying me! Said person files & buffs the natural nail prior to application & removal- giving Shellac a bad name, promotes gelish & Shellac as the SAME thing... Clients go in there, ask for Shellac and come out (not knowingly) with gelish... 'Nuff said!!!

Happening a lot in my area too, really annoying when you've trained and spent out on the proper kit only to find people purporting to be doing the same when its not

What's bugging me at the moment is techs offering "Shellac" for £8/9 but for that they just slap it on, shaping is an optional extra and again so is cuticle work, they'll happily paint it on and cure it without doing any prep unless you say you want it . . . can you imagine what it would look like not to mention how long it would last, or rather wouldn't.

Its true to say a lot of clients will just not return and may find their way to our door, but a whole lot more will just shrug and say "well that Shellac's rubbish" and be put off and that enrages me :irked:

With the Shellac salon certification coming out across the UK soon this will help clients become more aware if salons who aren't offering the full system!

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using SalonGeek

Hi, what shallac certification is coming out as I've not heard of this.

I asked CND to Shellac Certify me ages ago. Still have not heard back.

The best thing you can do is educate your clients. Tell them why Shellac is the best. I actually have a sign beside my desk that explains why I choose to offer Shellac, all the benefits, the proper application and removal. It also explains what should NOT happen during a Shellac service or removal.

I get a couple clients a week coming in, usually from the same NSS, being shocked that they were lied to. It takes me ages to remove the product on their nails, because it's a different base and top coat.

Just wanted to share this story as well:

I had a client come in and bring a friend to "chat with" which I specifically state I do not allow on my website (due to space constraints). Anyways, she brought her friend and as I begin to do the clients nails, the friend starts talking about how Shellac ruins nails, all gel polishes and soak-off gels are the same, CND is just using it as a marketing ploy, you can use any lamp and any base/top coat etc etc. I literally could not believe my ears.

I respectfully explained to her that Shellac does not ruin nails, I am a trained CND nail technician and Shellac is not like any other product. She laughed at me and put her hand in my face (seriously) and told me I had no idea what I was talking about because SHE was a salon owner in the Middle East. I informed her that I was actually the owner of the salon she was sitting in and I did not appreciate her coming into my establishment and being disrespectful. She laughed again and told me to get back to work and then continued speaking to my client in their native tongue, so I put down my file and told both of them to please leave the premises.

I think she was honestly shocked, and I was probably the first person to stand up to her in her entire life. In retrospect, I'm surprised I didn't snap and kick her butt.

I believe in Shellac and all my CND products so much that I will defend them until I'm blue in the face. I don't even worry about those other salon's and NSS places lying or using inferior products, because my clients are fully confident they're getting the REAL Shellac service when they see me, and they see the difference themselves.

/rant. :green:

I have a local salon saying the same thing! I also heard from my clients (their former clients) that they offer shellac as a nail hardener?! I always inform my clients about shellac and it's true way of application.

Got a flyer the other day that a new salon advertises shellac as a half gel half polish, ugh! I wish I hand a stick to whack these people with :p

Eskimonailtech after reading your post I also feel like I want to slap her ;)

I can't myself understand the mentality of people. Do they even have brains?

If you have to promote the product you use as 'like Shellac' because it is obvious clients ASK for Shellac, Then why not just buy Shellac?

While I was just looking at other nail & beauty websites I came a across a salon in Sheffield that on their drop down menu under nails says 'Gelish (also known as Shellac)' !!!!!! I agree why not just get Shellac instead of blatantly lying as Gelish & Shellac are very different products.

I can't myself understand the mentality of people. Do they even have brains?

If you have to promote the product you use as 'like Shellac' because it is obvious clients ASK for Shellac, Then why not just buy Shellac?

I have been chatting recently to another nail tech about Shellac. I told her that I'm saving my pennies and can't wait to gear up with Shellac on Excel and go on the course. she said she is "shocked" that I want to spend so much money and that she'll first buy Shellac of eBay and if her customers like it she'll invest in the original one.?&£*%#????

I can't get this logic!!!

I have a local salon saying the same thing! I also heard from my clients (their former clients) that they offer shellac as a nail hardener?! I always inform my clients about shellac and it's true way of application.

Got a flyer the other day that a new salon advertises shellac as a half gel half polish, ugh! I wish I hand a stick to whack these people with :p

I was actually told this when I rang to first buy my Shellac so I can see why they have said this.

In actual fact, it has attributes of polish in that it is applied this way onto a natural in buffed nail but attributes of a gel in that it has awesome staying power.

Most people will only pass on what they are told. New information state that the "half polish, half gel" statement is no longer the phrase of the month.

I offer shellac and gelish. I have clients that have tried both and LIKE both. So I let them decide. For me both products have similar durability and have BOTH seen my business increase. Win win all round.....

hiya i tried the shellac last year before i went on holiday to turkey and was very disappointed with the outcome.the polish faded and some chipped. also my nails became quite brittle and had to use nail strenghner. it has kinda put me off as i wanted to do a course in it so i can offer it at my salon.is the gelish maybe better?

ah that goes on every where, just do your own thing. if you do a good job your clients will be happy and keep coming back to you, that's all that really matters i think.

I agree....we all just need to concentrate on our own work and business.
Tom, **** & Harry can do what they like as long as I am doing everything right my clients are happy and will spread the word ;)

hiya i tried the shellac last year before i went on holiday to turkey and was very disappointed with the outcome.the polish faded and some chipped. also my nails became quite brittle and had to use nail strenghner. it has kinda put me off as i wanted to do a course in it so i can offer it at my salon.is the gelish maybe better?

This depends on how the tech prepped the nails, applied the shellac. Was it real shellac or another product? Were you given aftercare advice and told to apply solar oil everyday? I have never had shellac fade, so this i find wierd

Sun creams can affect your Shellac. Also, when you get out of the water you must dry your nails as leaving them to dry in the sun will also affect the results xx

I had a funny one today, soeone rang my salon saying she was a nail tech, and asked to buy some shellac top+base and a colour coat off us. One of my stylists took the call, and explained that we dont sell it. She then asked where we got it from! The stylist said it was from the distributer (she didnt know the name of SS).
The "nail tech" then got huffy!!!! Stylist explained that shellac had to be used with a CND lamp and the full system otherwise it wouldnt work (Are you all proud of how well trained and versed my hairdressers are?!).
Stylist thinks it was a non nail person chancing her arm.

I had a funny one today, soeone rang my salon saying she was a nail tech, and asked to buy some shellac top+base and a colour coat off us. One of my stylists took the call, and explained that we dont sell it. She then asked where we got it from! The stylist said it was from the distributer (she didnt know the name of SS).
The "nail tech" then got huffy!!!! Stylist explained that shellac had to be used with a CND lamp and the full system otherwise it wouldnt work (Are you all proud of how well trained and versed my hairdressers are?!).

Wow! The cheek of some people! Well done to your hairdresser =]

Impressed with their knowledge! Well done. :hug:

Latest posts

Back