Spray tan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanfastic

Reaction score
Am I the only one or am I correct in feeling that it ought to be a requirement for training academies to insist before certification that candidate purchases equipment they were trained on. Would this not cut out all the questions regarding setting of the gun etc. etc. All avoidable problems if the industry was regulated

I welcome your thoughts on this.

When I initially looked into tanning, I assumed this would be the case. Thank goodness it wasn't. I trained with Fake Bake and on the course one of the girls was complaining how bad her FB spray gun was. Added to that you couldn't buy any solution as that was all out of stock. Two girls on the course were trying to buy a FB kit that was out of stock til end of August and this was in May. I told them the price of the machine I had ordered and it was a fraction of what they were expecting to pay. Sadly, so much of it is a rip off, and some solutions are tut, which you don't always know til you've trained. The problem with this would also be that how would you change solution - would you have to retrain. I do think some spray guns are almost gimmicky, but a thorough training in your gun, cleaning it, adjusting it for differnt solutions/finishes etc - now that might be an idea!!!

I think the problem is that many seem too lazy to research and seek out the answer. Everything needs to be quick and require little to no effort for some. Its annoying, especially on forums like this when the answers to there questions can be easily found. People asking for advice and then completely ignoring responses or disregarding advice given really gets to me :grr:

Although I understand your point I don't think its a practical or realistic. For those of us who spend time researching and learning about our trade its not necessary, if it was we would book ourselves on the course! Your suggestion would mean that I would have to pay to retrain if I had to buy a new gun/compressor, which I would if mine goes as my Maximist is no longer available to purchase. I don't need to retrain but would do my homework and ask questions about new equipment etc.

This is not an industry specific problem, its across many sectors. Its more a reflection of modern day society imo.

All I can say is 'knowledge is power'! Some may benefit from remembering this ;)

When I initially looked into tanning, I assumed this would be the case. Thank goodness it wasn't. I trained with Fake Bake and on the course one of the girls was complaining how bad her FB spray gun was. Added to that you couldn't buy any solution as that was all out of stock. Two girls on the course were trying to buy a FB kit that was out of stock til end of August and this was in May. I told them the price of the machine I had ordered and it was a fraction of what they were expecting to pay. Sadly, so much of it is a rip off, and some solutions are tut, which you don't always know til you've trained. The problem with this would also be that how would you change solution - would you have to retrain. I do think some spray guns are almost gimmicky, but a thorough training in your gun, cleaning it, adjusting it for differnt solutions/finishes etc - now that might be an idea!!!

Yes I see what you mean, it would be a problem wouldn't it

I think the problem is that many seem too lazy to research and seek out the answer. Everything needs to be quick and require little to no effort for some. Its annoying, especially on forums like this when the answers to there questions can be easily found. People asking for advice and then completely ignoring responses or disregarding advice given really gets to me :grr:

Although I understand your point I don't think its a practical or realistic. For those of us who spend time researching and learning about our trade its not necessary, if it was we would book ourselves on the course! Your suggestion would mean that I would have to pay to retrain if I had to buy a new gun/compressor, which I would if mine goes as my Maximist is no longer available to purchase. I don't need to retrain but would do my homework and ask questions about new equipment etc.

This is not an industry specific problem, its across many sectors. Its more a reflection of modern day society imo.

All I can say is 'knowledge is power'! Some may benefit from remembering this ;)

Well said, you are right. I will have to be dragged into the modern day kicking and screaming. LOL. I originally trained in the 80's and if I had to re train for every piece of equipment it would have been a pain, but then I did try to research etc. as you say. We are all different I suppose that is what makes the world so interesting.

Oh meant to say that it also reflects the poor standards of training provided. I trained with a well known popular brand and the training was rushed and not particularly good. I had learnt far more from doing my own research prior to training then on the course itself. I think many pay for a course hoping that it will provide them with all info they will need, when in fact it doesn't. The trainers spend most of the time talking about there brand and covering legalities to cover there own backs before you even think about doing any practical work.

The courses need to reassessed and should be extended over 2 days. 1 day for learning and 1 day for practical.

Oh meant to say that it also reflects the poor standards of training provided. I trained with a well known popular brand and the training was rushed and not particularly good. I had learnt far more from doing my own research prior to training then on the course itself. I think many pay for a course hoping that it will provide them with all info they will need, when in fact it doesn't. The trainers spend most of the time talking about there brand and covering legalities to cover there own backs before you even think about doing any practical work.

The courses need to reassessed and should be extended over 2 days. 1 day for learning and 1 day for practical.

I agree. My training was ok, but I really researched my machine, as it was the most expensive bit - I certainly didn't want a 'Pink Piggy' I wanted a machine that would and could do back to back spray tans and was easy to clean. I didn't buy a kit, as I didn't want sticky feet, and tons of solution before I knew what was what. when I ordered some trial solutions from a company, she was quite aggressive asking why I didn't train with them and why didn't I get my kit from them etc. When I trialled the solution I should have called her back and said "Because your product is crap!!!" but you don't know til you try!!!

I agree. My training was ok, but I really researched my machine, as it was the most expensive bit - I certainly didn't want a 'Pink Piggy' I wanted a machine that would and could do back to back spray tans and was easy to clean. I didn't buy a kit, as I didn't want sticky feet, and tons of solution before I knew what was what. when I ordered some trial solutions from a company, she was quite aggressive asking why I didn't train with them and why didn't I get my kit from them etc. When I trialled the solution I should have called her back and said "Because your product is crap!!!" but you don't know til you try!!!

Lol good on you. Think so many people are taken in by the hard sell tactics of some companies or are to afraid or complacent to say no. Think many get willingly sucked into brands too. I hate the aggressive tactics of some of the tanning companies is really unnecessary. The should spend more time improving their products, training and customer service imo!

Don't even get me started on Training being awful..... One of my bugbears. How can anyone be expected to learn how to do the job correctly in less than one day. I have heard some horrible stories and it is high time that the industry becomes regulated

Don't even get me started on Training being awful..... One of my bugbears. How can anyone be expected to learn how to do the job correctly in less than one day. I have heard some horrible stories and it is high time that the industry becomes regulated

Hear hear x

I trained with Nouvatan, great training, great kit and I have tried other brands of solution since but none are as good. I buy sticky feet/hairnets/paper thongs from eBay and everything else from Nouvatan.

Latest posts

Back