Staff treatments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karenwarm

Reaction score
Hi,

Just looking for opinions on staff treatments, both hair & beauty should these be done for free? Or at a discounted rate and in or out of working hours?

It depends on whether the staff are employed or self employed. I think all staff should look well turned out and if all are employed, I think it only works to the good to offer treatments at quiet times to staff. Whether you do it free or reduced is up to you. I would possibly offer x amount of treatments free per month and after that it's cost. If the salon is quiet, and all jobs are done, I would allow in work time.

I used to work at Vidal Sassoon and would often get a freebie cut and colour, often more what the stylist wanted rather than what I wanted.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I let all employed or self employed have anything they want for free but I make sure they tip each other well for it so the other person is not doing it for free :)

We allow staff to have colour cut and blow ever 4 weeks for free eyebrow tinting and shaped when necessary and manicures are allowed weekly to keep all staff presentable, after all they are a walking advert for the salon

Things like massage facial which are more relaxation chill out treatments etc we allow once a month on days off.

I let staff employed and self employed have all treatments for free and products at cost + vat, however I am concerned re self employed people getting friends and family in constantly and doing stuff for free as they only pay me when they earn.

My self employed lady, who is lovely, has booked her sister in law in with me for an expensive course of treatments for her Birthday, I'm now in a quandary re the price, I don't know this women and to be honest when she's been into the salon she's never been that friendly so don't want to give any discount, but it's the nail tech who's paying ��

We say due to stock usage of se staff they still have to charge family otherwise salon would lose out
We have a set price of £30 for colour cut and Blowdry for immediate family. Friends and other family have to pay usual price
Any other discounts self employed wish to apply comes out of there cut as they are the ones willing to do the discount

I let staff employed and self employed have all treatments for free and products at cost + vat, however I am concerned re self employed people getting friends and family in constantly and doing stuff for free as they only pay me when they earn.

My self employed lady, who is lovely, has booked her sister in law in with me for an expensive course of treatments for her Birthday, I'm now in a quandary re the price, I don't know this women and to be honest when she's been into the salon she's never been that friendly so don't want to give any discount, but it's the nail tech who's paying ��

It sounds like you feel you are being taken for a mug at the moment? When making a decision regarding your business always wear your business hat and think about it practically not emotionally. This might help you to feel comfortable with setting stricter boundaries.

As she's taking an appointment that could be used by a full fee paying client, charge the full price. Her personality shouldn't dictate the price.

How are your contracts drafted?

If the self employed staff are booking people in for cut and colour with a normal fee of say £60 and charging nothing, how is that making you money? Your contracts could be worded to require them to still pay you the correct percentage that you are currently missing out on. That's why it pays to get an expert to draft your salon contracts.

They're not your friends/relatives so why should you be giving them freebies?

Also, consider setting limits on the freebies for your employed staff. Unlimited freebies and discounts is not likely to be in the best interests of the business!

Our stylist get there hair done for free every 8 weeks (colour) or cut when ever its needed as we have it written in there contract.:D

Cant have bad hair in hairdressing :o

Latest posts

Back