Stamping with Gelish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EjBeauty

Reaction score
Hi all :)

I am looking into purchasing some stamping plates and a stamper from MoYou, and have done some research on this forum and seen that I'd have to use a stamping polish to apply over Gelish. However, I've just seen a video on Youtube where a technician uses Gelish itself with the stamp, rather than a stamping polish (I hope this makes sense!)

I wanted to ask whether this works, but I saw in the video that it clearly does, so wanted to ask whether anyone else uses Gelish as the 'polish' for the stamps? As I am confused whether to buy stamping polish or just use my Gelish. I do hope this makes sense, it is very difficult to word!

Thanks all

You can stamp with gel polish but its not very opaque so it would only work with a colour that would only need one coat. Most gel polishes need two coats for full coverage which would be impossible to do with a stamp.

If you try it, remove the sticky layer first or your stamper will skid off

You can stamp with gel polish but its not very opaque so it would only work with a colour that would only need one coat. Most gel polishes need two coats for full coverage which would be impossible to do with a stamp.

Thank you so much for that Trinity :) makes a lot more sense now x

Any advice on stamping Trinity... brought the lot from moyo but struggle to even pick up and being on my stamper xx

Any advice on stamping Trinity... brought the lot from moyo but struggle to even pick up and being on my stamper xx

I know that feeling! I spent a fortune but couldn't get it to work.

At least you've bought everything from one place so they should all work together, I made the mistake of buying buts from various souces then finding out not all stampers wirk perfectly with all plates, or all polishes - thats frustrating I can tell you!

Never clean your stamper wuth acetone, you'll ruin it. Use a lint roller and roll the stamper over it.

When starting use a fairly simple image, the fine lacey ones for instance are hard to pick up with the wrong stamper.

When scraping, apply more polish than you think you need (you can be more economical once you master it), scrape firmly but not hard.

Roll the stamper, quickly across the image, not hard (you'll push the polish out of the grooves), not too gentle or it won't pick up.

Then roll image on to the nail. I started practising on paper rather than nails, mastered the technique then moved on to nails

Any help?

I know I’m not @Trinity but as she’s not online right now, I may be able to help.

What type of stamper do you have, ie. squishy/jelly, firm non-sticky or sticky, as this will determine how you use the stamper?

ETA: @Trinity is back online and has posted above.

I also have difficulty picking up with MoYou. Is there a difference between MoYou and MoYou London? [emoji848]

I know I’m not @Trinity but as she’s not online right now, I may be able to help.

What type of stamper do you have, ie. squishy/jelly, firm non-sticky or sticky, as this will determine how you use the stamper?

ETA: @Trinity is back online and has posted above.

Thanks so much I have a see through one don’t know if that makes a difference x

I know that feeling! I spent a fortune but couldn't get it to work.

At least you've bought everything from one place so they should all work together, I made the mistake of buying buts from various souces then finding out not all stampers wirk perfectly with all plates, or all polishes - thats frustrating I can tell you!

Never clean your stamper wuth acetone, you'll ruin it. Use a lint roller and roll the stamper over it.

When starting use a fairly simple image, the fine lacey ones for instance are hard to pick up with the wrong stamper.

When scraping, apply more polish than you think you need (you can be more economical once you master it), scrape firmly but not hard.

Roll the stamper, quickly across the image, not hard (you'll push the polish out of the grooves), not too gentle or it won't pick up.

Then roll image on to the nail. I started practising on paper rather than nails, mastered the technique then moved on to nails

Any help?

Really helpful, will have another go tomorrow and see how it goes x

Might look into a different stamper maybe

Thanks so much I have a see through one don’t know if that makes a difference x

Is the stamp head squishy/jelly like? If it is, roll the stamper lightly across the image and it should pick up.

If it’s a firm stamp head, then you will need to add more pressure when rolling.

I hope that makes sense.

Stamping takes a while to master, but once you’ve got it, there’s no end to the designs you can create.

Yes, I will try rolling it across thank you

Stamping with a gel polish can be done but is more trouble than it's worth as you need to mask off the surrounding skin and becomes a bit of a faff. I use moyou London and creative play polishes and a mixture of moyou London and yours loves plates along with the new lecente stamper and the trick is to apply gentle pressure. Best to leave the polish to dry on the stamper for a few seconds and when you roll gently over the gel polish inhibition layer there is little to no clean up of the skin due to the polish being dry it will only stick to the sticky layer and not the rest of the finger.

Stamping with a gel polish can be done but is more trouble than it's worth as you need to mask off the surrounding skin and becomes a bit of a faff. I use moyou London and creative play polishes and a mixture of moyou London and yours loves plates along with the new lecente stamper and the trick is to apply gentle pressure. Best to leave the polish to dry on the stamper for a few seconds and when you roll gently over the gel polish inhibition layer there is little to no clean up of the skin due to the polish being dry it will only stick to the sticky layer and not the rest of the finger.

I should have added that I too use regular polish for stamping and not gel polish.

Latest posts

Back