Start up costs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purple_Ivy

Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm interested in starting my own salon after working for 20 years for someone

How do I do go it? I have seen a premises, but I am a long way from that.
How do I get funds, insurance etc?

Do you have any experience of being self employed?

Why not start off renting a chair and building up your own clientele first? That way you’d get to learn the basics of doing a business plan, marketing, stock control, managing accounts etc. without taking a big financial risk.

As a salon owner, you will need additional people skills such as managing staff and dealing with difficult clients. How do you cope with confrontation? Are you naturally assertive and a good negotiator?

I recommend you start by joining the National Hairdressers Federation. They have lots of really good resources and information.

https://www.nhbf.co.uk/home/
Also, spend time reading online blogs and guides to running your own business. Your local authority may run free short courses on setting up in business. Google is your friend so search online for any suitable courses being offered in your area. September is often the time when new short courses start.

For a bit of lighthearted entertainment but also some lessons in ‘what not to do as a Salon Owner’ watch a few episodes of Tabatha takes over on YouTube.

Good luck with your plans and let us know how it goes. x

Latest posts

Back