Started my own business and now terrified! Help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henrietta

Reaction score
Hey fellow geeks!!

I've been following lots of sound advice on here and just wanted to share my experience of starting my own little business. Sorry if this is a longish post!

I've worked in beauty for 5 years now gaining lots of experience working abroad, for little salons and big companies in the industry. I've known since starting my career that to move forward and make good money is to work for myself.

I gave up a secure job last month and started renting a little room in my nearest spa town. I've started from scratch with more or less no client base, and needless to say it's been tough.
I knew adapting to this new period in my life would be tricky as I'm a worker and find days of of not having clients tough. I do a fair amount of freelance spa work to keep my cash flow up but it can be disheartening when I feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew!

In my little business I focus on waxing, men and women's intimate etc which is great for my area because I know know one does the men's near me. I bolster this I offer gels, for hands and feet, lashes brows and a bit of massage. I don't have loads of room to operate in so I'm careful with space. It's a great place to work in and I love doing my treatments.

I don't charge cheap with my waxing because it's taken a while and extra training to perfect it. I use good products and take of my clients.

Family and friends have been amazing and so supportive and tell me that it will take time but I'll get there.

I'm just finding it hard emotionally not to feel like every day is an uphill battle. Trying to do things on a budget is hard and it makes me question my self big time:/// arghhhh!
I've paid a bit extra with yell.com and Google for my ad, I have a website and a Facebook page which I promote every week. It's seems people are looking and not booking at the mo.

Sorry to sound like i moaning and I know I'm certainly not the only one out there who I'm sure find this tough but if anyone can share advice from when they started I would be greatful for the reassurance,
Thanks guys x

Well done on starting. Been there and opened a salon with no existing clientele and the first year is so scary and stressful! It's really exciting building something from scratch and feeling in control of your own destiny but I think it's only now just over 2 years in that I can say I'm really enjoying it and can look back and feel proud of what I have achieved. I didn't start paying myself until 18months in and still I don't even get min. Wage yet for the hours I put in as I just get what's left after the bills have been paid but at least it's something and now I can compare month on month to this time last year and it has come a long way!
Just keep on doing what your doing and don't get disheartened or tempted to do silly deals. Your busy time is coming so maybe you could do a recommend a friend promotion with a reward in the new year for every client that sends you someone new? We are a bit quieter than normal at the mo but it's to be expected as people are trying to wait a few more weeks now so their hair looks nice for Xmas. December is already filling up so I'm not too worried.

Hey fellow geeks!!

I've been following lots of sound advice on here and just wanted to share my experience of starting my own little business. Sorry if this is a longish post!

I've worked in beauty for 5 years now gaining lots of experience working abroad, for little salons and big companies in the industry. I've known since starting my career that to move forward and make good money is to work for myself.

I gave up a secure job last month and started renting a little room in my nearest spa town. I've started from scratch with more or less no client base, and needless to say it's been tough.
I knew adapting to this new period in my life would be tricky as I'm a worker and find days of of not having clients tough. I do a fair amount of freelance spa work to keep my cash flow up but it can be disheartening when I feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew!

In my little business I focus on waxing, men and women's intimate etc which is great for my area because I know know one does the men's near me. I bolster this I offer gels, for hands and feet, lashes brows and a bit of massage. I don't have loads of room to operate in so I'm careful with space. It's a great place to work in and I love doing my treatments.

I don't charge cheap with my waxing because it's taken a while and extra training to perfect it. I use good products and take of my clients.

Family and friends have been amazing and so supportive and tell me that it will take time but I'll get there.

I'm just finding it hard emotionally not to feel like every day is an uphill battle. Trying to do things on a budget is hard and it makes me question my self big time:/// arghhhh!
I've paid a bit extra with yell.com and Google for my ad, I have a website and a Facebook page which I promote every week. It's seems people are looking and not booking at the mo.

Sorry to sound like i moaning and I know I'm certainly not the only one out there who I'm sure find this tough but if anyone can share advice from when they started I would be greatful for the reassurance,
Thanks guys x

I opened my salon 12 months ago, my first anniversary is in two weeks! I was new to the area and didn't have an existing client base to bring with me, so it was a huge gamble. I have never looked back. It's hard work and stressful, especially in the early days when you're waiting for the phone to ring or clients to walk through the door, but while you're waiting do some marketing. Have a look at the link 'Ways to Promote Your Business', this was my bible initially and has been a huge help...there is so much marketing you can do that you probably haven't even though of, lots of it free too. I have never paid for a google or yell ad. Don't be disheartened you will find that a lot of salons are quieter this time of year as people are spending their money and time on Christmas shopping. I find Facebook to be the best source of advertising. Post on Facebook every day with your offers and do this in the evening when people tend to browse through posts. Get some vouchers printed. Hope this helps and gives you a little encouragement and positivity xx

Well done on starting. Been there and opened a salon with no existing clientele and the first year is so scary and stressful! It's really exciting building something from scratch and feeling in control of your own destiny but I think it's only now just over 2 years in that I can say I'm really enjoying it and can look back and feel proud of what I have achieved. I didn't start paying myself until 18months in and still I don't even get min. Wage yet for the hours I put in as I just get what's left after the bills have been paid but at least it's something and now I can compare month on month to this time last year and it has come a long way!
Just keep on doing what your doing and don't get disheartened or tempted to do silly deals. Your busy time is coming so maybe you could do a recommend a friend promotion with a reward in the new year for every client that sends you someone new? We are a bit quieter than normal at the mo but it's to be expected as people are trying to wait a few more weeks now so their hair looks nice for Xmas. December is already filling up so I'm not too worried.
Awww thanks Daydreams01, means a lot to hear other people's experiences!
I know it will be worth it in the end I will be full of pride, but starting can be really scary you've got to be brave in this game!

I moved my salon premises to the main high street from my husbands office premises which was very industrial, so in effect I had my regular clientele (both male & female) but the salon was new to the area, and by no means did I have enough clientele to keep me in wages and pay all my bills & rent etc. My salon has one treatment room, spray tan room and main reception/retail & nail bar. Ive been open nearly 3 years now and it has been hard work both physically & emotionally at one point I nearly had a breakdown and gave up but I couldn't bear the thought of quitting! - I worked alone until I took the decision to employ a p/t nail tech earlier this year, so any wages I took I now pay out in wages to my employee but it's worked out better for me as she is fantastic and has bought in extra clientele. My business is still growing and now I'm enjoying the challenges it brings with it. I also take a small wage now that enables me to live off. I'm currently looking for bigger premises but until I find the right one I'll keep looking.
I think you are right where you are meant to be at the moment - start enjoying the challenges and set yourself goals for your first, second years of business no matter how big or small. Sometimes it helps to speak or meet up with others in the same position, do you have a local business chambre you could join? Normally other like minded business people are there and enable local networking xx

I believe that you shouldn't of left your secure job until you knew you had a clientele.. Having clients to help you get started is always the best to start with your business but it takes time, you'll get there you just have to be patient! Good luck!

I started up myself in may renting a chair with virtually no clients. It's tough. I haven't gave up my job yet as can't afford it . But without it I wouldn't have been able to to do it. Hang in there . Good luck. Xx

Hey fellow geeks!!

Thanks guys x

Hi, just wanted to say that I am in the same position as you, I rent a room in a hairsalon lucky for me the way that it's designed looks like a shop with my own entrance, I have been open for 3 weeks now And I been getting about 1 to 2 clients a day it's really hard and
Sometimes you do wonder IS it always going to be like this , the one thing that I found very helpful for me is just going outside the shop and handing out my price list and talking to people bout what treatments I offer, this has nearly always got someone in the door hope it helps, And thanks for posting this at

Last edited by a moderator:
With a busy time like Christmas coming up you could use this to your advantage, and maybe try a 'recommend a friend' offer where your existing clients refer friends to you in return for a discount on their next treatment? And then for the new clients who come in maybe try a loyalty card, with 20% off when you've had 5 treatments? This will encourage them to book for other appointments if they know they can save a bit in the future :)
Just some ideas to try and help your business grow! It's always tough in the beginning but I've always found word of mouth is the best advert for your work so just continue to do a good job and the clients will come!
Hope this helps xxxx

Awww I know the feeling! It's tough and makes you think omg! Unfortunately I couldn't take clients with me from my last job as they were a completely different demographic and we're having luxury facials only. So i make sure I tell everyone what I doing l, give out business cards to everyone. I'm learning Twitter and using it locally to promote myself. I think it's just getting people to know I'm here

Last edited by a moderator:
Awww I know the feeling! It's tough and makes you think omg! Unfortunately I couldn't take clients with me from my last job as they were a completely different demographic and we're having luxury facials only. So i make sure I tell everyone what I doing l, give out business cards to everyone. I'm learning Twitter and using it locally to promote myself. I think it's just getting people to know I'm here
It us from what I read on here it takes 1 to 2 years so hopefully we will get there, and it's a good thing that I love doing what I do otherwise I don't think I would be here 24/7 and be earning nothing

Keep going, have patience, you will get there.

I started with no customers and remember those early days they were frustrating but exciting

Things run smoothly for me now but it took time

If you're offering high quality Brazilians/waxing word will spread quickly - really focus on promoting that as it sounds like it makes you unique in your area.

Hi Henrietta,

Congratulations to you and to everyone on this thread who has recently started out. It takes real courage to start out on your own, however big or small you begin.

Both @daydreams01 and @katie_deanne have suggested implementing a Referral Scheme which is an excellent idea. Word of mouth is always a great way to get new clients and the best way to get high quality clients that will come to you and keep coming back. Don't be tempted to do silly discounts to get people in . . . . this just cheapens what you do - but it sounds like you already realise that.

At the risk of stating the very obvious, your number one focus should be to get more clients. I know that sounds stupid to say, but sometimes it takes seeing it written down before it becomes clear. When you're not doing treatments EVERYTHING you do should be about getting new clients. You might need to step out of your comfort zone (pun intended) to really make things work. There are multiple threads on here with loads of great ideas to get you started and if you want a step-by-step walk through of how to create an amazing referral scheme take a look at How to Get and Keep all the Clients You Want for Your Salon.

For ways to boost business with some special offers that don't involve discounts there check this out: 10 Special Offers that Don't Involve Discounts!

I should point out that these are both articles on my website SalonBusinessSecrets.com, but I think they are pretty good (if I do say so myself) and they are completely free. You also mention that you are starting to learn Twitter . . . while you are on my site, there is a guide that I have created all about social media for salons. You will find it on the home page in the corner . . . again it's a free download.

I would love to know what you think?

Keep going and I wish you all the best of luck

-Adam

i will say that you should try Wahanda is working with my salon really good

Congratulations! I have just had my second birthday in my little salon and mostly we are fully booked but some days can still be so quiet. When we opened I didn't have a single client and there was weeks where I would sit there with only an eyebrow shape or file and paint booked in. When I look back I can't believe how much has changed in the last two years. I was really lucky to have a lot of support but I have found Facebook, website, twitter and Instagram (Hashtag your local area) fantastic, they have really helped and now (I never thought I would say this looking back) I am about to sign a new lease for another larger salon. Leaflet dropping is really good and if you have a local magazine they are great to get in too. It's so hard to start with but in a year or so from now you will be reaping in the rewards (mentally and financially) wishing you all the luck in the world. L x

Latest posts

Back