Starting out as makeup artist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisamv

Reaction score
Hi. I’ve done makeup in the past but only slightly. Probably about 5 bridals. I did do a Bridal course tho and enjoyed it, but have since been focusing on nails.
I’ve decided to branch back into makeup but make more of a commitment to it. I’ve booked a couple of fab courses for June and am waiting till after then to get most of my kit (so I can see what they recommend)
My struggle now is a couple of things.. firstly my name. I would’ve just gone on with my actual full name but I’m getting married next year so it will change!
My first names Lisa and middle Marie but I’m not keen on it. Any ideas? Also Would you just concentrate on make up or add nails in too to the name? Like make up and nail artist?
I am still carrying on with my nails but eventually want make up to overtake them.

Also... for the first clients... obviously it’s wedding season and prom season coming up, I have one prom booked in already but would you run a Facebook competition to get a few more? I could just do with some photos for mr portfolio so thought this was a good way to get some as with proms they have their hair done too so could her some good pics. Obviously I’ll do friends and family also.
And any other tips you have would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Lisa

I really like it when it’s straight to the point like:
Lisa Marie Marie make up
Make up & nails by Lisa Marie
Make up by Lisa
Make up by Marisa (mar from Marie & sa from Lisa)
Just play around with a few names and see what you like.
If you are eventually going to drop nails then I wouldn’t worry too much about incorporating it into the name as people will see you do nails in your photos.

I did an offer for 2 weekends and just charged £15 for a full face with lashes which covered my product cost. I booked everyone back to back and got lots of images for my portfolio & website from that. Plus it really helped build my confidence & get my speed up.
Get some good photos of your make up and sponsor some posts for a few days.
I always Post on selling pages etc to put my name about & post up any times I want to fill on my Facebook & Instagram pages and 90% of the time fill my gaps that way.
Don’t buy loads of things thinking you’ll need them in your kit, you probably won’t use half of the things that you think you’ll need.

I’d definitely recommend reading bridal make up artists blogs etc so you can get a feel for what products they use and the results you’ll get from them.

Also go to lots of make up counters & ask for samples!
And set up trade accounts with a lash brand & make up brands you like so you can get your trade discounts. x

Thank you so much for that, some really good advice! Do you work from a salon or are you just mobile?
I need to look into trade accounts next. I’m holding off buying more of my kit until I’ve done some more of my makeup training as I’m going to see what I use there and what I think of the products they recommend.

Thanks again

Thank you so much for that, some really good advice! Do you work from a salon or are you just mobile?
I need to look into trade accounts next. I’m holding off buying more of my kit until I’ve done some more of my makeup training as I’m going to see what I use there and what I think of the products they recommend.

Thanks again

I was mobile & helped in a local shop here and there but now only work from my home salon. x

Latest posts

Back