Starting out

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemma Andrew

McKGem
Reaction score
Hi.

I recently qualified using the St Tropez training course. However, I really didn’t think the tan was very good. It came off of my face instantly and wore off very patchy.

So now I’m coming to buying kit and wondering if there are better guns available too! So my questions are these:

1 - which solution do people recommend?

2 - where is the best place to get samples? I want to do a lot of practice and find a solution that I feel confident in, before rushing in.

2 - which HVLP guns do people recommend?

Thank you

I love Morroccan tan and St.Tropez, I know not everyone is a fan but you will eventually find your own. It me years to find Morroccan tan and it was worth the wait.

I use a HVLP machine by Sienna X and its amazing, I'm a mobile spray tanner and I'm in and out of a clients home in a half hour.

Hi.

I recently qualified using the St Tropez training course. However, I really didn’t think the tan was very good. It came off of my face instantly and wore off very patchy.

So now I’m coming to buying kit and wondering if there are better guns available too! So my questions are these:

2 - where is the best place to get samples? I want to do a lot of practice and find a solution that I feel confident in, before rushing in.

Thank you
I also use a HVLP 5008 machine by sienna x. Ask for samples of LA Tan and siennasol. I personally love them.

I agree, LA Tan, Siennasol, just contact different companies and ask for samples. Some will charge some wont. and i use a Maximist evo with pro gun xx

Thanks for the replies ladies. I’ve been reading about the TS50 gun. Does anyone have experience with this? It’s seemingly an updated version of the Sienna X gun, but you can get it cheaper as it’s unbranded.

Thanks for the replies ladies. I’ve been reading about the TS50 gun. Does anyone have experience with this? It’s seemingly an updated version of the Sienna X gun, but you can get it cheaper as it’s unbranded.
Yeah its a good one xx

Hi.

Thank you

Hi Gemma, I think you're spot on wanting to sample a good selection of tans and then do loads of practising before rushing in.

There are lots of great brands out there and it really is a matter of personal choice at the end of the day and you will only really know which ones you prefer by tying them out on yourself and family and friends, so contact the companies and ask if they can send you some samples.

Otherwise Salon Services and other wholesalers will also sell 200/250ml bottles of brands like Tan Truth, Sienna X, White to Brown (any my local wholesalers sell Crazy Angel) so you'd get maybe 4-5 tans from a bottle.

From my own experimenting I found Sienna X a bit too 'orangey' and White to Brown not dark enough. I love Crazy Angel and Moroccan Tan, but definitely wouldn't rule out trying others.

I have had the TS20 for about 5 years and it still seems to be going strong but if it packs in I would probably go for the Ts50 as the gun looks more comfortable. It's worth considering how much use your gun is likely to get. I do beauty and Nails as well, not just Tanning so although mine is used regularly, the most tans I've ever done in a day is about 4 or 5 in prom season. If I was only doing Tanning and doing parties etc I think the TS50 would be a better choice.

Good luck with your new business.

Hi Gemma, I think you're spot on wanting to sample a good selection of tans and then do loads of practising before rushing in.

There are lots of great brands out there and it really is a matter of personal choice at the end of the day and you will only really know which ones you prefer by tying them out on yourself and family and friends, so contact the companies and ask if they can send you some samples.

Otherwise Salon Services and other wholesalers will also sell 200/250ml bottles of brands like Tan Truth, Sienna X, White to Brown (any my local wholesalers sell Crazy Angel) so you'd get maybe 4-5 tans from a bottle.

From my own experimenting I found Sienna X a bit too 'orangey' and White to Brown not dark enough. I love Crazy Angel and Moroccan Tan, but definitely wouldn't rule out trying others.

I have had the TS20 for about 5 years and it still seems to be going strong but if it packs in I would probably go for the Ts50 as the gun looks more comfortable. It's worth considering how much use your gun is likely to get. I do beauty and Nails as well, not just Tanning so although mine is used regularly, the most tans I've ever done in a day is about 4 or 5 in prom season. If I was only doing Tanning and doing parties etc I think the TS50 would be a better choice.

Good luck with your new business.
This is a really good and thorough reply. Thanks so much for taking the time xx

I would definitely recommend you have a look at Maxi mist machines. After lots of problems with my tanning essentials machine I love my maxi mist! I use St Tropez and Nouvatan solutions...I started out with St Tropez and have a few loyal clients that love it. Most of my clients have Nouvatan now though (it’s my fave too!) get some samples of different brands and give them a try x

Thanks again guys. You’ve all been brilliant xx

Thanks for the good feedback ladies...yes we can supply samples to you.

Just a little bit of praise for the TS20 which has been around a while but is still in our opinion one of the best starter machines. Very easy to use and very little can go wrong with it. Gives a really nice spray tan.

Happy Spraying

Latest posts

Back