Starting self employed full time

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

facelashbrow

Reaction score
Hi all

I am in a full time day job that I hate with a passion and been working on the side in makeup and eyelash extensions, although that has slowed down whilst I have been working more and more in my day job. The past three days have been so horrible and stressful that I have been crying and stressed and desperate to leave. I said to my hubby I want to leave and he has said I need to stay until I have another job to go to.

I think I should hand in my notice and then for my notice period of 4 weeks, really hammer it with flyering and promoting and doing lots of peoples lashes to get my speed up. I kind of think I need to be thrown in at the deep end. He just doesnt think I would get it going, he said I should work part time and do this on my spare days. I just cant bear the thought of being here another day.

To make it more complicated I am 6 weeks pregnant. I know if I left I would be entitled to matenrity allowance so I am not to worried about that at this point. However its the in between period of having enough money to live on.

I could just cry and cry and I have 3 very unhappy day job clients to call which I am dreading, sick of being shouted at and having no support at work.

Does anyone have any advice or experience to share because I just dont know what to do.

Hi all

I am in a full time day job that I hate with a passion and been working on the side in makeup and eyelash extensions, although that has slowed down whilst I have been working more and more in my day job. The past three days have been so horrible and stressful that I have been crying and stressed and desperate to leave. I said to my hubby I want to leave and he has said I need to stay until I have another job to go to.

I think I should hand in my notice and then for my notice period of 4 weeks, really hammer it with flyering and promoting and doing lots of peoples lashes to get my speed up. I kind of think I need to be thrown in at the deep end. He just doesnt think I would get it going, he said I should work part time and do this on my spare days. I just cant bear the thought of being here another day.

To make it more complicated I am 6 weeks pregnant. I know if I left I would be entitled to matenrity allowance so I am not to worried about that at this point. However its the in between period of having enough money to live on.

I could just cry and cry and I have 3 very unhappy day job clients to call which I am dreading, sick of being shouted at and having no support at work.

Does anyone have any advice or experience to share because I just dont know what to do.

I know what it's like to be in a job where you're desperate to get out of there.

I don't know what to suggest because I don't know your financial situation but in your shoes I would sit down and do some maths..."can I afford to leave immediately even if business is slow with self employment?" is what I'd be asking myself. Because you want to be able to leave but not so much so that you have a new pressure to earn a high amount straight away as self employed.

Ideally maybe you could stick your job now out and then concentrate on business while on maternity but it really depends how badly you want to get out of your current job I guess.

It's not a nice situation to be in so I wish you the best with it.

Please do not leave, make an emergency appointment for your gp and get signed off for stress. Your health and the health of yoyr baby are the most important thing right now. You need time out to look at your options. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I was in same position almost 2years ago...in a job I absolutely hated but I knew if I left I would be entitled to nothing. Try stick it out you can go on maternity as early as 29 weeks that's what I did. And as for self employment its hard enough starting on your own anyway without the added stress of a growing belly and what will be a lovely but life altering bundle of joy! Just take a back seat if you have to work and relax its horrible to think your 'working' the system as such but at the end of the day you need money to live and so does your baby now! It's gut wrenching that feeling of working somewhere you hate hope it all works out x

I am in the same situation. I work part time as I have a 3 yr old but hate my day job. I have just qualified as a nail tech and am promoting that as a mobile business at the mo and hoping I get enough clients to pack my other job in and hopefully maybe get a job in a salon. You need to think of the finances. My partner is self employed and it is risky not knowing when you have work or not but I guess that's the same for everyone at the mo. just do your maths before you rush into anything and like the above said, you can always start your maternity early! Believe me it will soon come around! Anyway good luck with whatever you decide to do & congrats! :) xxx

It's horrible being in that position but I would try stick it out. I'm self employed and pregnant just now. If I'm off sick I get nothing and your maternity allowance pay goes on how much you make and how much NI you've paid so not very straight forward. I'm trying to work mine out just now and I'm pretty stressed wondering if I'm going to get.
I got signed off by the doctor a few weeks ago and I couldn't stay off because no sick pay. It's up to you but if you need the money please think about it. I would do as someone else said and get signed off by the doctor until your back on your feet. X

Try & stick it out if you can its hard but it will soon fly! I felt the same a couple years ago was signed off for depression then left only had a month without pay before my maternity allowance started I went back to college instead & did my level 2 beauty.

I am in the same position, its really not nice. I am going to work monday-friday and i really would like to be self employed nail tech full time. I always had the idea that it would work out wonderful if i left but its not as simple as that. Whilst your working you need to promote your business im still finding this hard now. We are not in a good situation right now on the financial ste of things therefore people arent always regulars therefore we cannot guarantee a regualr income. (i cant anyway ha!) So my advice would be stick it out and take the other girls advice also and get signed off with stress you dont need the pressure at a time like this! xxx

I am excatly same situation hun, hate my full time day job, but can't afford to quit and stress of not working would b too great so I considered either being signed off or asking to go part time

Latest posts

Back