State Board

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dboo0510

Reaction score
I have my state board testing this week and I am nervous and sick.. I have been studying like crazy both written and practical but still nervous. Ive had a couple of people from my school fail their practical and i am just scared. I would appreciate any tips or advice. Some days i feel ready and confident and others i feel like im going to fail so bad.. I am in CA if that helps. Would appreciate ANY advice.

I took my state board exams in North Carolina, so I can't speak for California specifically, but these are my tips:

1. REMEMBER YOUR SANITATION! It is extremely important, and could mean the difference between passing and failing if you forget to sanitize your hands, close the trash bag, dispose of things properly, etc.

2. Remember what is required of you. It is all in the Candidate Information Bulletin. You are being tested on the items listed there. Nothing more, nothing less.

3. Do your best. Do as you were taught. If you see another candidate doing something differently, don't panic. Do as your instructors taught you to do.

4. Don't panic if you don't finish a procedure.

5. Check your kit bag, and then check it again.

6. Keep your kit bag CLOSED when you're not taking something out of it, or putting something into it.

7. Listen to their instructions. Follow them to the letter. If they instruct you to stop, stop immediately.

8. If you fail...you fail. It happens. You just have to try again.

9. On the written examination, if you don't know the answer to a question, make an educated guess. Try to find something in common between some of the answers, and use that to help you. The answer may even be in the question itself.

Good luck! If you have any specific questions, feel free to message me.

Thank You for those tips and advice. I really do appreciate it.. Right now i feel mentally exausted and my nerves are getting to me.. I keep thinking what if its not enough studying or enough practicing.. It really does help to have tips from someone who has been through it and knows what to expect. I guess my worse fear is failing.

To fail isn't so bad. It's not learning from it, thats the problem.

Try not to worry or over think things. Good luck!

Stay calm or you'll mentally block yourself - take a deep breath when you go in and do what you know! You'll pass and wonder why you ever panicked :) and as another geek said, if you do fail, learn from your mistakes, it's not the end of the world - just do it again. Very best of luck :) xx

You don't have to be perfect! Even if you make a mistake during the practical, it's important you know what the mistake was and how to fix it.

My BF swears I cut her with my nippers at my practical (I don't think I did but it was a hundred years ago...) but followed proper protocol. I passed my exam. :)

Thank you. I appreciate all the advice. Trying to stay calm is my biggest problem. I know of a couple people who have failed recently and it just has gotten me so worked up. These posts with advice are helping me alot.

Thank you. I appreciate all the advice. Trying to stay calm is my biggest problem. I know of a couple people who have failed recently and it just has gotten me so worked up. These posts with advice are helping me alot.

And just remember, for the few that failed, many more passed. :)

That is true.. Didnt think of that. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice. I passed!!

Latest posts

Back