Still qualified?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Father1*

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I’m looking to go self employed in beauty therapy however my qualifications were gain back in 2002 and the last time I worked in beauty was about 2004. Will I still be able to get insurance and my qualifications still stand?
I’m currently working on refreshing all my knowledge and techniques and looking to go on a few courses. Any help is much appreciated!

If you still hold your paper certificates/diplomas then yes you will still be qualified as long as they were accredited by a recognised training provider.
If you were previously insured and/or the member of a professional body I would get in touch with them to see about re-registering or what to do in your particular situation. I am a member of The FHT and insured with them too. I found that they were very helpful during the last few difficult years.
You have done all the right things in refreshing you knowledge as lots of treatments have changed. Yes you will be a bit nervous but it will be just fine .
You must be so excited, and I hope things will work out well for you.

If you still hold your paper certificates/diplomas then yes you will still be qualified as long as they were accredited by a recognised training provider.
If you were previously insured and/or the member of a professional body I would get in touch with them to see about re-registering or what to do in your particular situation. I am a member of The FHT and insured with them too. I found that they were very helpful during the last few difficult years.
You have done all the right things in refreshing you knowledge as lots of treatments have changed. Yes you will be a bit nervous but it will be just fine .
You must be so excited, and I hope things will work out well for you.
Thank you so much for replying! I still have my paper certificates city & guilds NVQ beauty therapy level 2&3.
I am very nervous as the reason I left beauty therapy was because I had contact allergy’s to fragrances products and when I worked in a spa which had aromatherapy range my skin was so sore and in a right mess, my employers weren’t supportive and didn’t understand (that’s why I left)so I’m worried this will happen to my skin again.

Working for a salon is probably out of the question as their products ranges will probably make my contact dermatitis come back so I thought I could go self employed and use the dermaviduals range as might be okay as it’s all fragrance and preservative free, I just have no idea of how much something like this would cost to set up!

Any more feedback/advice is welcome!

I'm unable to comment on your potential choice of products, but with anything you must try before you commit and ensure that all the ingredients agree with you not just the fragrance/preservative content.
It is a big outlay and take your time so that you make the right choice.
Sometimes you can end up ignoring the simplest of options. Try the kaeso Calming range. They are definitely worth considering as a starting point.

Yes, the Kaeso range would be your best bet to try and it wouldn't cost a lot to set up either. Buy their box sets first to try the ranges. Ellisons quite often have 20% off too.
Ideally if you knew your precise allergies this would help with researching products to use.
Of course, now post covid, it is quite an acceptable thing to wear tight gloves for your facials and other treatments.
'Gloves in a bottle' shielding lotion is very helpful too.

Yes, the Kaeso range would be your best bet to try and it wouldn't cost a lot to set up either. Buy their box sets first to try the ranges. Ellisons quite often have 20% off too.
Ideally if you knew your precise allergies this would help with researching products to use.
Of course, now post covid, it is quite an acceptable thing to wear tight gloves for your facials and other treatments.
'Gloves in a bottle' shielding lotion is very helpful too.
Thank you so much for all this advice, and the gloves in a bottle sounds fab! I’m going to buy that!

I'm unable to comment on your potential choice of products, but with anything you must try before you commit and ensure that all the ingredients agree with you not just the fragrance/preservative content.
It is a big outlay and take your time so that you make the right choice.
Sometimes you can end up ignoring the simplest of options. Try the kaeso Calming range. They are definitely worth considering as a starting point.
Thank you!☺️

Latest posts

Back