Stomach in knots about opening!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've suggested to the girl I'm sharing with that we both do the same offers and same prices. As we haven't opened yet I don't know how it's all going to pan out but we have discussed all our ideas, compromised to suit both of us and are going to try and work together rather than compete. She's more holistic and I'm more nails/beauty anyway. I have 15 years more experience aswell and I don't want to make her feel threatened of anything. As we are renting in a hairdressers we have decided to just call it beauty at headstart (which is the salon name). We are having identical leaflets printed but she will have her number and I will have mine. Same Facebook page too. I think by working together you will gain more custom and eventually clients will decide who they prefer to do their treatments xxx

I am also setting up in 4 weeks time just for 2 days a week initially with a beauty therapist, she is doing the nails, tanning and waxing and I am doing the peels, derma roller, makeup, botox etc (I am a Nurse also). Business wise no idea treatments love doing them. Good luck, I also think that building up from nothing we may be twiddling thumbs for a while.

I've suggested to the girl I'm sharing with that we both do the same offers and same prices. As we haven't opened yet I don't know how it's all going to pan out but we have discussed all our ideas, compromised to suit both of us and are going to try and work together rather than compete. She's more holistic and I'm more nails/beauty anyway. I have 15 years more experience aswell and I don't want to make her feel threatened of anything. As we are renting in a hairdressers we have decided to just call it beauty at headstart (which is the salon name). We are having identical leaflets printed but she will have her number and I will have mine. Same Facebook page too. I think by working together you will gain more custom and eventually clients will decide who they prefer to do their treatments xxx

Do you both offer exactly same treatments? We offers mostly the same but I hv things she doesn't and vice versa.so we are unsure what to do with this as I'm only PT and she is FT...for eg. If someone asks for pedicure which she not qualified in, I'm only available eve and weekends..so if we hv same leaflets might be misleading about out availability :-/ confusing! Any advice would be welcome

Well maybe you need to make it clear on your price lists when certain treatments are only available at evenings/weekends I.e - Pedicures available with Helen weekends/evenings only xxx

Suggested same leaflet, not gonna work...other gal initially agreed then that day arrived with her printed leaflets and humongous sign made for the side of the building with her logo:-/ she has a lot of financial backing from parents and unfortunately I can't afford things like this so I'm just going to have to work a little harder as I'm getting the impression I may have to work alone!onwards and upwards I suppose!

Suggested same leaflet, not gonna work...other gal initially agreed then that day arrived with her printed leaflets and humongous sign made for the side of the building with her logo:-/ she has a lot of financial backing from parents and unfortunately I can't afford things like this so I'm just going to have to work a little harder as I'm getting the impression I may have to work alone!onwards and upwards I suppose!

Where are you based? I'm in co down :)

First wk over...I made my rent and a little more! Iv no clients booked for this wk eek:-/ but fingers crossed they will come!

Well done Helen that's brilliant!! I'm opening in 3 weeks haven't finished decorating or got my stock yet. That's brilliant that you made profit on your first week! Keep me updated xxx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Wooooooo congraaats!!

Thankyou all...it was a v small profit but it's a start!cant seem to shake these nerves lol now am worried about no appointments this wk, but I'm sure it'll be okay.i enjoyed the buzz of the salon and hopefully will increase in confidence in time

Hi Helen how's it going??!! Xx

Well one month in and it's okay! I'm getting more bookings but they aren't constant. im still making my rent and I'm making a tiny bit more than that.Iv introduced a loyalty card and I've done one groupon deal to get ppl through the door, some have re-booked too so that's good!and I'm constantly updating facebook to tell ppl what I'm offering. Last Friday had absolutely no one and was disheartened but I'm trying to keep level headed about it. Finding the hairdressers who I rent from, can be a little sharp with each other but trying to keep out of that;-/ I'm wrecked, because I work full time in another job too but I'm getting experience!

It sounds like you're doing all the right things. Well done.

Keep searching this site for marketing ideas - there are some great ones already posted here.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Keep plugging away Helen I'm sure it will be worth it in the end! How did u go about sorting out Groupon deal? Xx

Keep plugging away Helen I'm sure it will be worth it in the end! How did u go about sorting out Groupon deal? Xx

Did a groupon deal which has brought in good few ppl and some have rebooked. You have caught me on a day that I'm feeling bit disheartened! After the groupon deal, the other therapist wanted to join in on my efforts and be seen as a united front rather than two different business's, which in turn means joining my offers etc...I'm finding it difficult to work alongside this therapist who is full time. I'm trying to promote myself part time and try to plug her for things which I don't offer but this is not being done by her. Because I'm nt there during day I now have less bookings-iv tried doing offers but ppl are booking them..with her and it appears that she is not telling ppl that I'm also there, so I feel that my efforts are being wasted.

Lisa I just realised I didn't answer your question lol I contacted groupon directly..they take 65% cut of your price. And u must do a half price offer. I didn't make much money but I suppose I'm just looking to get new customers in firstly

Lisa I just realised I didn't answer your question lol I contacted groupon directly..they take 65% cut of your price. And u must do a half price offer. I didn't make much money but I suppose I'm just looking to get new customers in firstly

Helen

I've just posted a thread. Do you rent your room form the hairdressers? If so, how to you take payment - is it direct to you or via the hairdressers then they transfer the money to you?

I'm in a similar position to you - I work full-time, do mobile therapy and I'm renting a room on a Saturday but I'm having some issues with the owner. The room is in a holistic shop/centre and business is not the main focus.

Helen

I've just posted a thread. Do you rent your room form the hairdressers? If so, how to you take payment - is it direct to you or via the hairdressers then they transfer the money to you?

I'm in a similar position to you - I work full-time, do mobile therapy and I'm renting a room on a Saturday but I'm having some issues with the owner. The room is in a holistic shop/centre and business is not the main focus.

Hi, I rent a room and nail table. I take in my own money but pay the hairdressers below a set rent every wk.
I work full time in another on but try do 2 evenings and a Saturday. I'm part time but another therapist is full time and she rents separate rooms. The hairdressers are okay but I'm finding my beauty colleague a little difficult

Latest posts

Back