Struggling with confidence

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nixnax

Reaction score
Hi all. I've been qualified for about 5 months and have completed a CND master architect course which was fantastic. I have seen so much improvement in my technique, but i have a few things which are really kicking my confidence.

I am still taking 3 hours (a couple of times it has been abit longer!) for a full set of L&P and I'm really having a hard time with forms, even though i recieved the c-curve dowels from CND. I struggle with them on nails with barely any free edge, or as hard as i try, i can't quite get it to sit flush under the free edge. I try to customise (as per the young nails youtube vid) and i still can't seem to jag it.

I know i need to just bite the bullet so to speak and get myself out there, but i freeze at the thought of having someone sit for over 3 hours and trying to use forms but fumbling with them! I need to practice but not sure how to go about it. Continue with family and friends or should i offer a discounted price to the public and make the client aware that I'm new and of the time frame so I'm being up front? Apologies for such a long post but I feel like every time i take a step forward i take 5 steps back.

There are lots of skilled techs on here who love forms - I've been doing nails 13 years and personally I can't bear the faff and fiddle with forms so I use tips which I love and get s beautiful shape with. There's no law that says you have to use forms! [emoji5]️
I know that's probably not the answer you wanted - just saying! Sometimes, why keep putting yourself through it?

I'm sure a tech will be along soon to offer more constructive advice on the form situation! X

There is nothing wrong with using tips , However if you'd really like to master forms I'm sure a 1-2-1 training session would have to sorted in no time , I'm sure it's something small.

In the mean time what you can try is for clients who have a deep c curve very short natural nails is to etch out a little v in the middle of the form. It has to be even and directly in the middle but will allow to form to fit more snuggly , I'll post a pic now to explain better :)

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1474399201.559928.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1474399213.141747.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1474399223.508368.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1474399235.493271.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1474399246.826056.jpg

Don't be harsh on your self - your timing will get better with time, as your techniques did. ;)
I have the exact same issue with tips - I just can't stand them, takes me years to apply, so I get annoyed by them. I just stick with the forms - they made sense from very begining and I just got hang of them very easily. If forms don't work for you - use tips, master them, "nail" them. :)

I've only been qualified for about 6 months and I do nails 3 days a week, usually 5-9 clients, i take around 2 hr sometimes 2.5. I started advertising on my local Facebook group ( buy and sell, business groups) in my post I say I am newly qualified therefore it take me around 2 hrs. When I first advertised I was booking out so quickly!! I started out charging $20 for a full set and $15 for infills, after my technique improved and my time improved I put my prices up $5-$10. As long as you tell them you can take 3hrs, most don't care. I've also always told my clients that when my time gets down to 1.5 hrs I will be putting my prices up a few $$, and they all understand. Just remember the more practice the better you get.

Thankyou all SO much for your words of advice, they are just what i needed. I will take them on board and try not to be so hard on myself, being a perfectionist can be more of a hindrance than a help sometimes!

There is nothing wrong with using tips , However if you'd really like to master forms I'm sure a 1-2-1 training session would have to sorted in no time , I'm sure it's something small.

In the mean time what you can try is for clients who have a deep c curve very short natural nails is to etch out a little v in the middle of the form. It has to be even and directly in the middle but will allow to form to fit more snuggly , I'll post a pic now to explain better :)
Thankyou so very much for going to the effort to post those pictures. Those are the forms i use so seeing the correct placement of the 'V' helps ALOT! x

Latest posts

Back