Student rant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is all common sense. And of course I don't complain at school I do what I have to. I was just venting to you all, That's it. I'm just eager to learn and realizing that I am not learning anything at school is kind of upsetting to me.

Thank you all for the feed back though. Made me look at it in a different light.

KHS your sarcasm is not needed.

My rant was not so much that I mind doing those things at home and work. But paying so much money for school I wasn't expecting it. Towels, sweeping that's okay. Taking the tiny trash cans out full of women's used pads and tampons, picking up cigarette buts outside... That just seems like a bit much.

Hmm I'm pretty sure the having to take out used tampons is illegal due to possibly getting aids/HIV I could be wrong though

Hmm I'm pretty sure the having to take out used tampons is illegal due to possibly getting aids/HIV I could be wrong though

Last I checked, tampons get flushed.
However, you are wearing gloves when cleaning and taking garbage out regardless of what's in there, it is still our duty. Oh, I don't think it's illegal. Is every public place or business supossed to hire a HAZMAT team to come empty their trash bins?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

back when i was an apprentice had to clean all the things i used, had to clean the tools i used after every client, wiping mirrors, clean trolleys, clean mirrors/stations, products shelf, counter everything, if i didnt then i wouldnt get my sign off towards my sign off... you think its a waste of time, however now i am quite a neat freak, im very over the top when it comes to cleaning, i clean absolutely everything all the time my clippers, clipper combs etc and its all thanks to my cosmetology school and also my work colleagues i have been privelidged to work with :) honestly cleaning is something you have to learn to love, because in hairdressing everything is all about team work, we all help clean the salon, when a stylist has finished with a client to help with salon work flow we help sweep the hair, make the station look tidy, and when its your turn the free stylists do the same to me.

So I'm disappointed in my cosmetology school and was wondering if the schools you all are attending or attended have the same issues? My biggest issue is that after spending all this money to be in school they have us doing janitorial work. Taking the garbage out every night, laundry, folding, cleaning all the mirrors in the whole school, sweeping the whole school, there is a long list of things needed. I def think we should clean up after ourselves but I feel like I pay to much money to take garbage out every night! This is not the type of education I'm paying for.

For Gods sake get a grip. Who else will clean up?

You dont just start at the top.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

I went to a pretty expensive private college to study CIBTAC and yep we cleaned up after ourselves, just like I do now and have done every other place I've worked. We did laundry, disinfecting and sterilising everything, sweeping, cleaning, mopping, folding, paperwork, restocking and everything else in between including hazardous waste disposal. For the very simple reason that you do all of this when you work, and I wouldn't employ someone that didn't understand exactly how spotless a clinic, salon or spa needs to be. That's what doing it at college teaches you and helps you understand, it shows the importance of keeping on top of this every day. It's one of the responsibilities that you must undertake whether you own your own business or start at the bottom brand new, it's part of being in the industry.

When I trained we were shown how to fold towels. I just kept my mouth shut and my head down and folded towels. One of my fellow students would stand there ranting "I didn't come here to learn to fold towels".
Some months after we qualified I went to her home salon for a leg wax. Her towels were in a right mess. She clearly didn't think it was important whereas I think a client can walk in and make an immediate judgement.

Grin and bear it. Good luck

Vicki x

And yes the towel folding! I now have OCD with this as they all have to look exactly the same before closure, my colleague doesn't have this same obsession and I wonder what her house looks like if she can ignore a pile of screwed up towel for weeks at a time.

My old manager when I was training 3-4 years ago had me scrubbing the chairs with a toothbrush to get off the old hairspray. I used to protest about silly jobs like that because I would of preferred her to teach me something or assess me on something if I had nothing to do and all cleaning jobs had been done and it wasn't busy. But yes its all part of it and all my friends at school were shocked I could actually put a wash on and clean things lol. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you all for the feed back though. Made me look at it in a different light.

KHS your sarcasm is not needed.

:D I'm sorry but what did you expect? We all paid a load of cash, £1,000's for our training too, cleaning and taking out the rubbish is all part of salon life.
At 44 yrs old I'm still cleaning and putting rubbish out, Beit it's my salon, but we ALL do it in the salon, and wash up the cups.

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
Have to agree with the above, I'm in my 40,s with my own salon and still spend loads of time cleaning! Have great staff who all do their bit but would never expect them to do something I wouldn't do. We all muck in, a tidy salon is a happy salon!

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Last I checked, tampons get flushed.
However, you are wearing gloves when cleaning and taking garbage out regardless of what's in there, it is still our duty. Oh, I don't think it's illegal. Is every public place or business supossed to hire a HAZMAT team to come empty their trash bins?

Just for general information for salon staff outside of Europe reading these posts, You must NEVER flush tampons or any sanitary matter down any toilet in Europe! The systems aren't designed to cope with them and blockages are inevitable.

Plus there are stringent rules regarding health and safety when disposing of hazardous material inc. sharps such as used razor blades.

Just for general information for salon staff outside of Europe reading these posts, You must NEVER flush tampons or any sanitary matter down any toilet in Europe! The systems aren't designed to cope with them and blockages are inevitable.

Plus there are stringent rules regarding health and safety when disposing of hazardous material inc. sharps such as used razor blades.

I am so very glad that I personality don't contribute to our landfills or septic systems.
We have sharps disposal bins that are handed back to the pharmacy for proper disposal. But honestly, handling garbage whatever is in it shouldn't be a concern.
Wear your protective gear, that's what it's there for.

I am doing an apprenticeship and what you are describing is literally my job description.

What annoys me more than all
Of this is that we paid thousands for our training and then any Joe Bloggs buys cheap crap from eBay and advertise as therapists?! It cheapens the trade so much and does my head in!

I wouldn't stress about the so called therapists that buy a lamp and try to do nails. They will never excel. One dimensional treatments like this have no foundation. Concentrate your efforts on being the best you can be. Our learning never stops - nor does our towel folding, our washing up and our cleaning.

Strive for perfection and feel mightily superior to those that buy a lamp from eBay with no training or qualifications and think they are offering the same service as you.

We are coming out of a recession. I have noticed this big time in my business. Cheap is everywhere but classy, elegant wonderful treatments are the ones that will make you money.

Vicki x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
What annoys me more than all
Of this is that we paid thousands for our training and then any Joe Bloggs buys cheap crap from eBay and advertise as therapists?! It cheapens the trade so much and does my head in!

People like this don't bother me and shouldn't bother other therapists or hairdressers.
Clients can tell when they are getting a quality service.
Those that are unqualified will eventually get caught out and even worse, sued.
We should all just worry about our own lives and businesses.
Live and let live.

Latest posts

Back