Taking no show payments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren.SS

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering who here takes payments for no show clients and how you do it? I understand you have to be very careful with the card details etc however the process is still very murky for me. I am thinking of using GenBook which takes the card details and stores them on secure servers, then it says to use third party payment things to process it. I wouldn't know how to do that though. For those who do take fees please could you let me know how you do it and what equipment, precautions etc that you use?

Thanks

I too am interested in how to go about this.
I would like to take deposits. I'm mobile and have turned up to a ladies house to find she's gone out.
She didn't answer her phone and 2 days later texted to say she had completely forgot!!!!

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

See, this is why I want a strict no show policy going on! The simple way I can think of right now is if they phone back to rebook is charge them for it then. However this is relying on them coming back (One could argue no big deal if they don't come back, you don't need customers like that, however you lose money which sort of defeats the purpose of the whole policy!).

I'm just wondering if it's a case of needing a whole virtual terminal or some other fancy (aka expensive setup) in that case it's out of my reach.

Paypal seems a good safe option for taking deposits?

Yes and no. I've read quite a few things on here from Geeks who say there's an issue of charge backs and a couple of other things. Can't remember what precisely, sorry my brain is fried! Also I know that if I ask for paypal buttons it's going to racket up the cost on my website hugely as then it's classed as e-commerce :| And a customer can just ignore an invoice asking for payment for a no show.

I would use paypal if I were you hun, safe & simple to use and everyone has access to it. Just ask at the time of booking for the clients to transfer a £5 non-returnable deposit to secure the appointment or however much you'd like. You could always do bank transfer aswell if the client has online banking, then that's really simple aswell and they have a receipt of the transaction. x

Yes and no. I've read quite a few things on here from Geeks who say there's an issue of charge backs and a couple of other things. Can't remember what precisely, sorry my brain is fried! Also I know that if I ask for paypal buttons it's going to racket up the cost on my website hugely as then it's classed as e-commerce :| And a customer can just ignore an invoice asking for payment for a no show.
Ah I hadn't realised that.. then maybe direct bank transfer is the way? x

Bank transfer could be the only way. I just wonder if it's faffy? I know for my account takes three days for funds to show on my statement so how would I know they've paid? And which payment belongs to who for which time? And if they're using an online booking system... seems complicated.

I think I need a tea break, my brain has had it lol

In addition to currently doing my beauty therapy NVQ! i also run an online jewellery business and we set up an account with yoozap.co.uk (free).

With this you can take card payments over the phone, in person and you also get a QR code (for smart phones) so that people can scan it and be taken to an online payment page which is powered by PayPal. They don't need a PayPal account (although you do need to configure certain settings for this) but its great, quick and for me very convenient!

Might be a way you can request a deposit from people at the time of booking by giving them the web address or something?

I think if someone asked me to transfer a deposit with online banking I wouldnt bother booking them and find someone else. Paypal I maybe would do as its easy.

I do wonder if its worth the effort getting deposits - may put people off - if its only a few people not showing up then I wouldnt worry about it. Customer service......

I don't know Sophie, spent a long time with the search engine on here and there's been times when people have been plagued by no shows. In the beginning that can be a real threat as to whether you cover your bills or not. I don't think there's anything wrong with paying deposits, I think however it's important to make sure it's as secure and hassle free as possible though.

Lou: I'm going to look into it :)

In the mean time I'm still interested to hear off those who do a deposit/cancellation system and how they go about enforcing it, especially whether it's before or after the fact.

From what I have seen a lot of geeks have cancellation policies etc but only enforce them on repeat offenders normally on the third time approx.

I think getting people to try you is hard enough starting out and you are putting them straight on the defensive taking card details or a deposit and I think many people might be reluctant to do it. Just my thoughts. I know some won't be but starting out you don't want to limit your audience.

Yeps, just sat down and discussed it with a friend. We came to the conclusion that at least in the first vulnerable stages of the business it would be best not take deposits and just state that if they don't show up or cancel in under 24hrs, then next time they book they will be charged a cancellation fee. Decided that if it's 24hrs or less then it'll be 50% and cancellation on the day - 100%.

That way both sides benefit. Customer doesn't get put off or freaked out but I also get a little bit of protection hopefully. Also going to back it up with SMS/email reminders. Much simpler and I hope effective. Either way once I get on my feet I can change it, but right now feels like I'm trying to run before I can walk!

I think that's the right choice personally :) Sure all will go well in no time.

Yeps, just sat down and discussed it with a friend. We came to the conclusion that at least in the first vulnerable stages of the business it would be best not take deposits and just state that if they don't show up or cancel in under 24hrs, then next time they book they will be charged a cancellation fee. Decided that if it's 24hrs or less then it'll be 50% and cancellation on the day - 100%.

That way both sides benefit. Customer doesn't get put off or freaked out but I also get a little bit of protection hopefully. Also going to back it up with SMS/email reminders. Much simpler and I hope effective. Either way once I get on my feet I can change it, but right now feels like I'm trying to run before I can walk!

Latest posts

Back