Teaching/assessor/college

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickiemma

Reaction score
Hiya!
What qualifications etc do you need to become a teacher/assessor if hairdressing? And does anyone know roughly the length of the course if done 1 day per week?
Thanks!

Hiya!
What qualifications etc do you need to become a teacher/assessor if hairdressing? And does anyone know roughly the length of the course if done 1 day per week?
Thanks!

As far as I know you need: level 3 in chosen sunject, pttls which in my college is a 12 weeks course & A1 assesors which is a 40 week course but can be done in 20 if you work hard. That's just my college though x

That's great! Thankyou! I'm going to email the college close to me and see if they have any of these courses available 😃x

I have recently done these qualifications... You need level 3 in hairdressing then do an assessors course which is now TAQA previously a1 - I did this in 12 weeks but all work is done at home and sent via email so you need to be really self motivated as Its a lot to do in a short space of time and there is a huge amount of evidence to gather. I only actually attended college once for 4 hours, Only catch is you have to have assessing hours, I volunteered at my local college and I was lucky enough to be employed by them as a lecturer by the end of it. You then have to do cert ed which is 2 years, my advice would be to try and get employed somewhere and let them put you through that as I think it's around £3000 per year minimum! Hope this helps!

Do you know where I would stand with that as I own a salon? I'm just doing a Friday and Saturday as iv just had a baby, I am very motivated and enjoy meeting deadlines etc (I know, I'm a geek! Lol) so I would have time to do it, iv emailed my local college about my level 3 so just waiting for a reply x

Your best bet is to do level 3 and then look into it whilst doing it. These qualifications change all the time and seem to have new rules bought in all the time. Speak to a taqa tutor and explain your situation and let them point you in the right direction. When I was volunteering it was only 3 hours a week which I did in a 5-8 evening session so it wasn't too demanding and then worked from home! I'm such a geek also I was in my element doing assignments and meeting deadlines! What is your plan to do with the qualifications if you don't mind me asking? X

Thankyou very much that's really helpful! Well I love learning and I'm coming upto 30 and I thought it's now or never, my baby is 4 months and I'd like to (eventually) become an assessor/teacher and leave my salon to be self sufficient... Then once she's at an age for school I'd have time with her on the wknds with her and I could still do abit in my salon, I just like a new challenge and this has been on my mind for a while but I never had the confidence to go for it before x

Id definitely do it! It's a great qualification to have, as you own a salon it may open new doors for you to In house train etc too! I was unsure whether to do it as the thought of
Going back to college put me off but it has been one of the best decisions I've made! It was never my intention to get into teaching now, I thought it could be something to fall back on when I'm older but a job vacancy came up and I thought id go for it just to experience the interview process if nothing else, but I was lucky enough to be successful and I've loved it ever since! There is so much to learn and gain from it all! X

Exactly! Oh I am glad u made the right choice! And as u day it could open up many doors for me! Iv just never really thought anyone would listen to me if I was trying to teach but as I say I'm nearly 30, and I'm guessing enrolment will be September and obviously it's not a quick thing, and as u say it's something to fall back on :) x

Exactly!! I think your making a great choice! I hope you get all the advice you need! And good luck! X

Im currently doing my cert ed at university
I do one day a week in uni and one day a week teaching in a college
I needed 3-5 years experience
Nvq level 3 in your chosen subject

Part of cert ed includes ptlls
Xxxx

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Thankyou this has been really helpful! 😊x

Latest posts

Back