Tearing at Side Wall Stress Point

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bud

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone can shed any light on this problem that keeps occurring with many of my clients - some more than others.
I mainly do gel overlays on the natural nail (using biosculpture). Many of my clients do like to grow their nails as long as possible with this system, and my gut feeling is that the nails are simply to long for their lifestyle (most tears seem to occur when either something changes in their life i.e. job etc, or when their nails get to a length they're not used to.

When the nail tears I usually buff the gel down, reapply gel, with a strip of silk over the weakened area, and rebalance.

Does anyone have any opinions on whether I should be applying silk as part of a set of overlays to give extra strength before this happens (esp for clients that this keeps happening to)?

Are there ANY other explanations that could be causing this - I am trying to encourage them to keep their nails shorter and obviously to treat with respect - but these are clients who I used to have NO probs with, have regular 2wk rebalances, and generally are pretty careful.

Thanks guys!

Sounds like you're not doing anything wrong and no probs with using silk strips, I do the same to some people. However a while ago I did note my work was going a bit downhill, went on a refresher course and found out some of the bad habits and cutting corners I had got into without realising it and now no probs again. Therefore it may be your clients with too long nails, or it may be something you are doing without realising it.

Thanks Sarah - I think it's probably a bit or both. I've already booked a workshop day with my BioSculpture Rep, so hopefully this will iron out my technique a bit!

If anyone has any ideas what i may be doing wrong - pleas epost - I have a client tomorrow night who's been having these prob for the last 2-3 rebalances so I'd like to get to the bottom of it for her!
I have noticed that this particular client's nails seem very thin weak and flexible - it there anything extra I can be doing (or get her to do as aftercare) to strengthen her natural nails as well??

Thanks!

just a quick bump-up!

Please can anyone offer any other explanations?!?!:o

Hi Laura

when we do natural overlays with biosculpture we always take the length down, however there are those clients who want tallens :rolleyes: i would suggest removing them with soak off and starting again. Use a stress strip and for extra strength you could use sculpting gel across this area. make sure you clients are following there relevant aftercare well to.

Little Angel said:
Hi Laura

when we do natural overlays with biosculpture we always take the length down, however there are those clients who want tallens :rolleyes: i would suggest removing them with soak off and starting again. Use a stress strip and for extra strength you could use sculpting gel across this area. make sure you clients are following there relevant aftercare well to.
Thanks, good idea - I'll try it tomorrow!
I probably won't soak off, as last time I soaked-off for this client, her nails were so thin they just couldn't stand it... I know this shoulnd't be the case, but she must just have naturally very thin nails as no-one else seems to have this problem.
Thanks again for your suggestions!

Latest posts

Back