The correct nail terminology

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rubytues! This is the one that never ceases to "get my goat!"
Sculptured nails??? Baaad
Sculpted nails??? Goood!

Something else that drives me mad is the misuse of the word of... I could of, should of, would of should actually be should have, could have, would have. I know that it's not strictly nail related but we do see a lot of it on here.
What hope has the correct nail terminology got if we can't even master the basics! Lol xx

NSS (Non Standard Salon) really means that the salon produces non standard nails using a monomer that contains MMA. THAT is what makes it non standard. These days people seem to think it means any old salon run by people of Asian extraction. NOT so.

Also, ANY salon that doesn't adhere to the standards set by your governing agency. In Michigan, it's the state board of cosmetology.

So, if you have a salon using CND, OPI, etc. products but they are not following sanitation procedures, this would be non-standard, in my opinion.

Also, ANY salon that doesn't adhere to the standards set by your governing agency. In Michigan, it's the state board of cosmetology.

So, if you have a salon using CND, OPI, etc. products but they are not following sanitation procedures, this would be non-standard, in my opinion.

non standard is bit nice.. wouldn't a better name for them be a dump.

non standard is bit nice.. wouldn't a better name for them be a dump.

A dump is a place where people dumps their rubbish.

It's probably not nice to call these salons and the people who work in them 'rubbish'.
Sometimes, they are just uneducated and need help.

Oooohhh! I love u Guys :* I was looking for correct nail terminology few days ago, and now we have it! Thank you All:))

How u tell if u using cover for extended nail bed when we doing longer nails??
[Sorry for my english, hope u will understand me :p ]

Do you mean 'Custom Blending'....?

A dump is a place where people dumps their rubbish.

It's probably not nice to call these salons and the people who work in them 'rubbish'.
Sometimes, they are just uneducated and need help.

that term used colloquially where i'm from would intimate a dirty place, but i'm sorry, you're right , i was a bit out of line there.

:) and hooray RUBYTUES ... absolutely right!! a scupture is a thing and a noun and the verb for sculpting it is 'to sculpt' so therefore we sculpt nails or make sculpted nails.

I'm not even a nail but this does irritate me. I saw a huge poster in a salon the other day;
SPRAY TAN
HAIR UP
FULLY SCULPTURED NAILS
£40

fully sculptured nails?? What the.....!

Rubytues! This is the one that never ceases to "get my goat!"
Sculptured nails??? Baaad
Sculpted nails??? Goood!

Something else that drives me mad is the misuse of the word of... I could of, should of, would of should actually be should have, could have, would have. I know that it's not strictly nail related but we do see a lot of it on here.
What hope has the correct nail terminology got if we can't even master the basics! Lol xx

Here here 'ol boy ;-)

Ruby Tues & Fake It

I know this is going off track but I totally agree!

I am a grammar geek & I just can't bear lack of paragraphs etc he he.

Sorry.... Back to nails :)

'fumes' are produced from smoke...

'vapour' is produced when a liquid evaporates...

Really interesting for me whos from Sweden! ;) Over here we refer to it as Acrylic or Gel-nails. I know that the nail industry is much bigger in other countries than Sweden so we often have to teach our clientes the right words. Must say i did it much more in the beginning than i do now. ;)

But many of the words i must thank my Bio Sculpture teacher for. My first teacher missed alot...

Latest posts

Back