The cost of the new NVQ

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jane

Scratchers Geek
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity I sat down and worked out how much it would cost me to do the new NVQ levels 2&3. 2 levels, 8 units & 30 assessments. Got a bit of a shock I have to say.
Eash assessment period lasts 4 hours so it is possible to do more than one in that time, (just as well if not it would cost over £1700 to complete!) If you can complete 3 assessments in a period it'll cost just under £800 or 2 assessments, just over £1000. Now this is assuming that I'm fully competent in everything that is required and need no further training.
I feel very strongly about continuing education and improving ones skills, but the NVQ isn't training is it, it's assessment of existiing skills. Although I can see that it will encourage people to do further training in order to complete it.
I suppose it all comes down to money. So if there is funding available could someone please make it public. Because it's not just the cost of the assessments, it time off work and travelling expenses.
For that amount of money I can get one hell of a lot of top notch education from of the industrys best.
I mean no disrespect to all the people who put so much time and effort into the new NVQ and for anyone thinking of doing it, please go through one of the ANT SAC,s

You are right Jane, its not cheap to do it, i have had to pay to and im an assessor!!

Most people will not do all 8 units. For example, if you do nail extensions at level 3 then there is not much point to doing the fibreglass unit at level 2. The advanced nail art unit and the photgraphic unit at level 3 are very hard so not many techs are capable of doing it. Plus not everybody likes feet!

Most techs are only doing bt22 & bt23, nail extension and rebalance. This would cost £59 plus £29 to register plus 6 assessments at £49 (these are paid as you go, normally monthly, so you spread the cost) It is an assessors job to make sure you are ready so most candidates should only need the 6 assessments.Total £382. (no vat)

If you want to do manicure, pedicure and nail art at level 2, which you can do say 6 months or a year after doing bt22 &bt23 (again, to spread the cost) then it is £59 plus 2 x £29 to register plus 3 assessments, (tight for time but can be done) then the total is £264.

So for the most popular units, it would be £646, thats a lot but not so bad!
(£205 up front and £441 spread over the assessments)

I do hope that helps!

Latest posts

Back