The Internet: Friend not Foe

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovethesun

Reaction score
The Internet: Friend not Foe
As a marketing professional, it is my responsibility to understand which is the most convenient, appealing and appropriate way to reach my target customers: that is from my audience’s perspective, not mine. This means that I have to regularly review which media channels offer the best value for money in terms of the objectives I am pursuing. As a business owner or manager you should be doing the same thing. The use of the internet has grown massively in the past 7 years and it has grown amongst all age segments. Despite this, many business owners are reluctant to adopt or engage with new technology. However, the Internet can be a powerful, and cost effective, tool in both the acquisition of new customers and retention of existing customers. Here is a quick overview of how of what you need to know:
· Web page
If you don’t already have a webpage invest in one. Buying a domain name costs very little and building a web site has never been simpler. You need to make sure your site is easy to navigate and contains basic contact details. The simplest way of formatting your site in a way that customers are familiar with would to be have a navigation bar across the top of the web page with links to different pages, such as contact details, about us, gallery etc. Once your website is in place put your address on all your print materials (price lists, business cards etc), include it on any advertising and incorporate it into your email signature. This will help drive traffic to your site. Once potential customers are there you can tell them all about what you do. Consider how effective photo galleries would be at showcasing your best work. You can increase the time a customer spends on a website by increasing its ‘stickiness’, this refers to how well deigned the site is, the quality of the content and visual appeal. In the service industry is it particularly important to build long-term relationships with customers, therefore, a website feature which allows clients to upload their own photos of your work or provide feedback could be a particularly beneficial at increasing customer retention.

· Pay Per Click (PPC) Advertising
Is this one way of maximising the traffic that you direct to your website. PPC involves choosing a set of keywords which are associated with your business e.g. “hairdressers Maidenhead” and paying to link your website to these words when a customer types them into a search engine, so your website appears at the top of the search results. The benefits of PPC are that you only pay when someone clicks through to your site and you can set a budget however big or small you like. It is best to be selective about which keywords you choose, don’t try to cover all of them, instead pick a few, evaluate the results and decide whether to keep or remove them. Finally, it is imperative that your landing page, the first page on your website, is appealing and encourages the customer to delve deeper and find out more, this is especially true for businesses in the beauty industry: practice what you preach!

· Online directories
These are useful for acquiring new business. There are many sites out there which allow you to register a basic listing for free, and this includes your web address. Online directories also come with the benefit of having maps, which will help new customers locate you.

· Email
Ask your existing customers for their email addresses (and their permission for you to send them information) and build a mailing list. Overcome objections by providing clients with a reason for them to provide you with their details, for example a hamper full of chocolates and wine. Email has the advantage of being FREE, which means you can afford to increase the frequency of contact with your existing customers. Send out newsletter, telling customers about the new services you are offering and thank them for their support, you could even show your gratitude with a promotion such as a ‘recommend a friend’ , that way you both benefit; you get a new customer and they get a good deal.

· Business Networking
Finally there are a number of business networking sites out there which are free to join and enable you to network with other business owners in your area. These organisations hold networking events locally where you can meet other people who are equally eager to share their skills and raise their business’ profile.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back