The Sun: Fish Pedi Virus Timebomb!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is more useful and educational for people to actually read the Health Protection Agency report rather than this dumbed down selective article from The Sun.
HPA - Fish pedicures unlikely to cause infection

The HPA report The Suns refers to is actually headed:
"Fish pedicures unlikely to cause infection"

I have no axe to grind on this one. As I said, I wouldn't have one of these treatments personally and I don't have them in my salon. But I do pity the salons that have invested in the treatment and will lose money because of this sensationalised article. Must have been a slow news day.

I am with you on this juicy lucy.
Has anybody read No 20 habia news?
habia are working with HPA to develop and disseminate guidance on fish pedicures.
14 states have banned in the USA have banned it.
In the Uk the RSPCA has expressed concerns of the welfare of the fish.
However HPA and HPA Scotland have downplayed the risk associated with the treatment, and have stated that they are currently unaware of any cases of infection associated with the use of Garra Rufa Fish in fish pedis in the UK.
Personally i didnt like the one i had, it removed no dead skin and they didnt file and paint my toes!

My brother owns an aquarium shop, has had it for 23 years. His staff members have caught various things from the fish over the years not least of which is Fish TB! BUT these are people whose hands are in and out of the tanks all day, thousands of fish species including wild caught ones. I'm not making any particular point here and wait to hear of the first official HIV cross infection (which, if it hasn't happened yet I think is unlikely) before making my mind up ;) .

i have always been anti fish pedicures for a number of reasons. I don't believe you can make this a hygeinic treatment. I also feel it is cruel to the fish (am a fish lover too).

I also think ultimately the only people to make money from this craze are the people who got in quick, and the people who supply the tanks and fish.
It seems there are more and more on groupon now, which suggests the craze is fizzling out.
I think the article will be the nail in the coffin.
My commercial antenna didnt fizz at fish pedis at all, I thought they would be an expensive liability for salons. I noticed too that the dragons on dragons den agreed.

As a fish keeper I don't see it as cruel UNLESS the shop isn't filtering the water to the correct level or even beyond. The fish are doing what comes naturally and despite popular opinion do not need to be starved to do the 'job'. I have kept various fish over the years that despite regular feeding still rasp relentlessly at the wood in the tank, the glass and some of them would do it to other fish if they didn't have the correct things in the tank to do what they would do in the wild.

In all the years I have kept fish I've yet (touch wood) to get any infection from water changes or having to handle the occasional sick fish. The tetras and danios love to come to your hands and nibble around your nail folds if you keep still for a moment no matter how clean my hands are.

Interestingly I did observe once when watching through the fish spa window, one tank where the fish weren't so keen and it was a lady with obviously well maintained feet. I wondered if she might have had scented cream on her feet. In my experience there are fish that will seem to eat anything but watch them more closely, flaked foods are a good example, certain flakes attract some fish, some attract others. Fish won't generally eat something that isn't agreeable.

All that being said, the place I went to in Derby did check the clients feet for open sores and signs of infections. The fish themselves aren't capable of actually breaking through the skin, they can only rasp at the dead cells and I wouldnt be expecting much change after just one visit.

Well the local fish salon near me a friend of mine went in to look and asked the girls in there how do you clean and sanitise etc a d the reply was we don't get told any of that so we don't know we just work here. So if they are telling customers that I certainly wouldn't want a fish pedi

Scary news sells. Mundane doesn't and therefore our news sheets simply beef up the mundane in order to sell. Keep this in mind next time you read the big headlines about some celeb doing something they shouldn't.

The HIV scare is based on the fact that these fish can actually start to grow teeth sharp enough to penetrate skin. Is it likely to cause any infection to spread? Not at all - however I don't think that would comfort that one person in 10 million that may go in for a pedicure and walk out with a lot more than "smoother" feet.

A bigger concern is the basic issue of sanitation. You cannot sanitise let alone disinfect fish and the water (which I believe is cleaned/checked only daily). THAT is the bigger issue and is what will result in real problems. Why on earth would you want to have a pedicure in the same water 8 others already soaked their fungal infected athletes foot festered feet in?

Ewwwww.

I tried it once - hands up in admission!

I thought the effects weren't as good as if I'd used a foot file, so never had it again. I must admit I never thought about the virus thing ... I just thought, being a beauty therapist I should try it!!

Not sure what to think about the Sun's claims ... but I guess it got papers sold, right?!

xx

It is extrememly rare for them to 'grow teeth' as their mouths and jaws are designed to rasp at algae and places where they can get at tiny invertibrates etc. I personally think that's more likely to be a deformed jaw that causes the teeth to point outward rather than the usual presentation. Look at these fish and you can see they are almost sucker mouthed. They will rasp at any surface that presents 'food.

I dare say there are some less than scrupulous fish spa owners out there but the one I saw was very well filtered with extremely clear water, impressive given the numbers of fish and feet involved.

Last edited:
"Why on earth would you want to have a pedicure in the same water 8 others already soaked their fungal infected athletes foot festered feet in?"

You wouldn't, which is why a responsible fish spa would not let you in if you had anything even remotely along those lines

Last edited:
My fish spa set up was bespoke and cost me a fortune. I worked with health and safety.
I have questionairres that every client has to fill out. Open wounds, verruca's are not allowed in. Anybody who has used nail varnish remover in the last 48hrs is not allowed in, anyone who has false tan is not allowed in. Anybody with diabetes/high blood pressure can only do 15 mins not half an hour. Strictly no children.
I have turned lots of people away on those terms. Even though I could do with the money to pay for the outlay!
There are large filters that change the water continously, plus a 3 bucket water change with a chemical to make water safe, (remove chlorine), every day. Plus an expert who comes in every few weeks to change the filters with new filters.
My water is crystal clear and my fish are happy and thriving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dawncbn, the sun could have done with interviewing a few people like us!!!!

Latest posts

Back