The Sun: Fish Pedi Virus Timebomb!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely agree with you and geeg! :)

I guess it's the usual Sun scaremongering. People still go swimming in the sea after all - and you can bet your bottom dollar that the sewage pipe that's not that far upstream from the beach is going to be kicking out all sorts of nasty bacteria, viruses, fecal matter, used tampons and condoms, etc... I'd vote for having a fish pedicure over going swimming in the sea as far as hygiene risks are concerned!

I guess it's the usual Sun scaremongering. People still go swimming in the sea after all - and you can bet your bottom dollar that the sewage pipe that's not that far upstream from the beach is going to be kicking out all sorts of nasty bacteria, viruses, fecal matter, used tampons and condoms, etc... I'd vote for having a fish pedicure over going swimming in the sea as far as hygiene risks are concerned!

Not everywhere is like that and it sure is not like that here on our beaches on the costa blanca. shame on you Ruth! lol Even if what you suggest were true in some areas, the concentration can hardly be compared to a fish tank. To be fair, If we are going to be anywhere near accurate in comments we need to compare like for like.

I'd have to say most of the beaches here in Florida are pretty pristine.

Tried it in Bangkok because I just wanted to see what it would do. Done absolutely nothing and did not take any skin off my feet. Relaxing? Scary more like and I felt sorry for those wee fishies. Would rather have a nice proper pedicure any day with nice clean water that is fresh out of the tap and no one else's feet have been stuck in. It's just a gimmick and totally revolting in my opinion :(

Not everywhere is like that and it sure is not like that here on our beaches on the costa blanca. shame on you Ruth! lol Even if what you suggest were true in some areas, the concentration can hardly be compared to a fish tank. To be fair, If we are going to be anywhere near accurate in comments we need to compare like for like.

Good point! Although there were reports on television not so long ago about people getting nasty bacterial infections from contaminated water in certain parts of Devon and Cornwall when swimming and surfing in the sea. So there are definite instances of polluted seawater causing ill health, whereas I doubt if there have been any recorded instances of infections being picked up from spa pedicures.

But each to their own, I guess!

I'm certainly going to be suspicious if whitebait makes a comeback on the menu at my local pubs!!! :eek:

I too think fish pedi's are unhygenic and just gross (and not to mention stressing for the fish). A friend of mine went for one a little while back and said she enjoyed it and would have another one, so there are folks out there who do like the treatment and don't really give much thought to it.

I posted a link to the thread Geeg is on about a while back on the FB page of a gents barbers near me who kept posting they were getting one and counting down each day until it arrived. I just wanted to give them a different side to the story which they may not have thought about. I couldn't PM them with this because it is a business page, so I said I wasn't causing trouble but was just concerned as people who had them were now discounting heavily on them and not making their money back.

Guess what? My post was deleted! So I now hope they have read this and are wondering if perhaps they should've taken my advice...

xx

I'm with Deanosnana here. I've always found the idea of fish pedis disgusting. Most states in the US have already banned them because they cannot be hygenically maintained.

After all, how do you sanitize a fish?

A select few states - not most!

Why are people focussing on the negative points raised in the Sun newspaper?

Did you not read the bit about risks being VERY LOW if correct procedures are followed?

Are there any actual cases within the UK where people have contracted such nasty diseases as a direct result of having a fish pedi? I don't believe there are. My fish spa has been assessed by The Environmental Health Agency and they are perfectly happy that I am experienced enough and have adequate equipment to provide this treatment safely for both my fish and my clients.

The article is scare mongery. I agree consumers should be careful to choose a salon that has been assessed by Environmental Health, if needs be even ask to see the summary of the assessment. I would have no problems showing mine as I know I work with health and safety as my number one priority.

Im completely against them I no sum 1 that contracted gout from having a fish pedi and I also think fish should b fish and swim around happily and freely not being stuck in a grotty tank eating skin all day it's discusting and I make a point of telling all my friends and family never to have one

Im completely against them I no sum 1 that contracted gout from having a fish pedi and I also think fish should b fish and swim around happily and freely not being stuck in a grotty tank eating skin all day it's discusting and I make a point of telling all my friends and family never to have one

Are you sure it was gout? Because I'm pretty sure gout is not contageous.

Are you sure it was gout? Because I'm pretty sure gout is not contageous.

Well Said Katmoz33

LMAO! Just goes to show you how people can let their mouth run away without thinking.

I can understand it is not for everyone but if you are going to bad mouth it, make sure you state facts and don't make it up as you go along lol x

I've just read the Health Protection Agency's report that The Sun newspaper refers to. The Sun have really sensationalised the story and have picked out only negative lines from the original report.

Personally I wouldn't have one of these treatments, but I hate this kind of selective journalism and the story is likely to have a huge impact on a lot of small businesses.

HPA - Fish pedicures unlikely to cause infection

I've just read the Health Protection Agency's report that The Sun newspaper refers to. The Sun have really sensationalised the story and have picked out only negative lines from the original report.

Personally I wouldn't have one of these treatments, but I hate this kind of selective journalism and the story is likely to have a huge impact on a lot of small businesses.

Sad truth is people like to read these shocking headlines!
Even if they are usually a very distant version of the truth....its pathetic really. :-/

Gorgeous-tips, Im sure you provide a responsisble treatment ofcourse your on this site.

Can I ask what sort of health and safety standards a provider of this treatment must meet. I.e how often are you required to change the water, clean the tank and what with, how do care for the fish etc etc etc. Think people would find this useful to know......

Guess there two debates here are objections about

1) The treatment in itself - do people just not feel comfortable with idea of fish nibbling at there feet

or

2) How it is provided - i.e. hygiene & cleaniness, wealthfare of fish, training of staff etc

Thought this link to the article may help:

Fish foot spa virus bombshell | The Sun |News

I think it is more useful and educational for people to actually read the Health Protection Agency report rather than this dumbed down selective article from The Sun.

The HPA report The Suns refers to is actually headed:
"Fish pedicures unlikely to cause infection
"

I have no axe to grind on this one. As I said, I wouldn't have one of these treatments personally and I don't have them in my salon. But I do pity the salons that have invested in the treatment and will lose money because of this sensationalised article. Must have been a slow news day.

Latest posts

Back