Thinking of quitting and transferring hair school

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurenmaree

Reaction score
I'm so stressed out, any advice would be fab right now!

I'm currently studying a cert III in hairdressing in Melbourne, AU and stupidly enrolled at a private collage as they were more flexible, I travel 2.5 hours each way to get there as there is nothing near me and I have to travel to the city to get there. I'm committed lol

Downside..the training has been nothing but garbage. My trainer doesn't speak or understand English well, they use the supermarket brand $2 hairspray if your lucky enough to even find one in the place and there is 1 teacher to 50 students. When we learn something new (its not a class, everyone starts and finishes at different times of the month) we have to get a vhs tape of a 70's vintage to show us what to do. IF the tape works. Then we just have to do it once if lucky before they expect us to be able to proficiently be able to do it on a client. Then we spend half a day trying to chase a teacher around to see of we did it correctly etc.

The nastiness of some of the clients towards us because of these things is unbelievable.

I have frankly learnt more from YouTube then my classes after 6 months.

I've paid thousands of dollars so far for this as I'm not funded in any way, and I'm seriously considering leaving, getting credit for what I did do and going to perhaps Vic Uni, Bendigo Tafe or another school.

For the love of all things mighty, if anyone studied hair in Vic in the past, could you please give me a recommendation? I'm risking my families financial wellbeing to do this so I cant fail because some awful school refuses to teach even remotely well.

I refuse to give up but there's only so much you can learn from YouTube and no salon thus far that will even allow me to get some work experience.

If there are no recommendations, please just pray for me lol

Are you doing an apprenticeship or willing to do one? I've just finished mine in perth aus, and one day a week I attended a college, honestly I enjoyed it, being on the floor as an apprentice, and learning from the seniors. Being around clients while learning gave me more confidence around clients. :) good luck!

I would LOVE to do one and spent 2 years trying to get one but as I'm 28 and already have a cert III, salon owners cannot get funding for me and would have to fork out over $10,000 just for the tafe side let alone wage etc :(

Of course I completely understand, I wouldn't take that risk either.

I'm thinking I might just have to try and slowly, slowly save up the $15,000 it takes to go to a half decent school because I cant get a student or bank loan for this course as its not a diploma. It might take me 5 years, but what can you do? It might work a bit dif in your state.

I would happily work for $100 a week in order to get one, but alas!

Good luck with your apprenticeship, it sounds like your in the right place x

I would LOVE to do one and spent 2 years trying to get one but as I'm 28 and already have a cert III, salon owners cannot get funding for me and would have to fork out over $10,000 just for the tafe side let alone wage etc :(

Of course I completely understand, I wouldn't take that risk either.

I'm thinking I might just have to try and slowly, slowly save up the $15,000 it takes to go to a half decent school because I cant get a student or bank loan for this course as its not a diploma. It might take me 5 years, but what can you do? It might work a bit dif in your state.

I would happily work for $100 a week in order to get one, but alas!

Good luck with your apprenticeship, it sounds like your in the right place x

Hi Lauren I did my training based at a tafe in Mildura Victoria which was ran privately through a small college opened by a husband and wife team. I loved my training and went 3 days per week and worked hands on in another salon for 2.5 days for $12 an hour. My cert 3 course was around 13 grand as I did cert 2 whilst at high school but I highly recommend going through tafe ! I had a great experience especially if you are motivated which sounds like you definately are!!

Oh my god, I can't believe what I just read. That ridiculous.
I live in nsw. I done an apprentiship and I lived 2 and a half hours from closest TAFE , so I went 3 or 4 days every 3 weeks.
If I were you I would stop doing that ludacris your doing now, no point your not learning anything and if you are it's probably a dodgy way. Try your hardest to find a salon that will take you on as apprentice and explain to them what you've been doing, if they don't want to pay you more because you've got the cert III, just say you'd be happy to start off with the apprentice wage, and I'm sure they'd be fine with that, it would still be a lot more then $100 if your full time. Good luck I hope it all works out for you x

All I paid for while at TAFE was a couple maybe a few hundred dollars per semester, way better than 15,000 and I think their learning standards are a lot higher :) you will also have to pay for your books, but it will still be way cheaper

Agreed, lot of 'country' students (students with 1hourish travel from city) did block training. They would travel to the city for 2-3 weeks straight like 6 times a year or something

Have you approached the pivot point academy in Melbourne? I'm pivot point trained originally and they were great. I won a scholarship through Wella so apart from my equipment I was fully funded. I live in the UK mow.

I went to TAFE in Tamworth NSW, we used pivot point.

Well, as I read your experience I think it's more practical to find another school which you think worth your time, money, and effort. Imagine you ride for how many hours to get into that school but you find it useless. So it's better to find one. And I am also planning of going to hair school, thanks for the suggestions fellas.

That doesn't sound good, what school? I went to the Australian collage of hairdressing in Elizabeth street years ago, it was ok, I have an apprentice now at Pivot point, there great, Id talk to them, as one teacher for 50 students doesn't sound like the criteria is being met or delivered in a appropriate way, I personally love to employ mature age apprentices, at 28. Don't give up, walk the streets and see if a salon will take you on even part time! Don't give up, it's just a minor setback, every experience you can learn from, even the 70s! It's coming back...

Latest posts

Back