Thinning hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tillymay

Reaction score
Hi a client of mine hair is thing he is only young and it's really starting to upset him can any one recommend any products / styles that would help make it look less noticeable for him thanks fellow geeks xx

I always say use thickening creams before blowdrying. Like small talk/ motor mouth (tigi)
And dont let him have a combover, they try and hang on to it sometimes but it makes it look thinner! X

Use Bed Head charge up thickening shampoos or a cheaper alternative is Elvive thickening shampoo and conditioner.

Before blow drying use a small amount of Bed Head Cocky thickening paste, concentrate on the roots. Works wonders.

When the hair is dry - style it. Then apply Nanogen hair building fibres (get them off ebay) and pat it in. Make sure you get the right shade, there's loads of different shades. There's cheaper alternative hair building fibres on Ebay, they all work the same.

Hope this helps.

Have you heard about serioxyl?
It's by L'Oreal.

It's a fab product I've been impressed.

It's has a cumulative effect.

You have a treatment, then shampoo and condition and apply a mousse. Then there is a liquid you apply daily.
It stimulates your hair out of the dormant phase into the anagen phase.

L'Oreal are/were doing a 3 month money back guarantee too.

Tori1992 - with hair loss though a lot of the time it's nothing to do with the hair growth cycles, it's because the follicle wont produce hair anymore.

If the OP's client is in the telogen phase and his hair is shedding, great. But if he's losing his hair due to male pattern baldness for example, he can only conceal it or risk taking propecia and minoxidil which only make the hair you've got left go thicker, giving the illusion your hair is growing back.

Another tip OP, when blow drying his hair blow it left to right a few times to get some natural movement into it, then start to blow it in the position you want it, then blow it going backwards concentrating on the roots (this will give so e lift) but don't over do it because it will make the hair stick up.

Basically just mould the hair into the shape you want. See it as a piece of art that you need to fix.

Sorry if that sounds patronising and like i'm trying to undermine you Tori it's just that I have this same problem and it's an area i've got lots of personal experience in. I've tried hairpieces and everything.

Thickening and conditioner.
Bed Head Cocky thickening paste
Nanogen (or any brand) hair building fibres.

Put them on your to buy list.

AllanJudge, if the client is already bald the product won't do anything obviously.

However, at the beginning of male pattern baldness it does work. I sent the products home with a member of my family to try. Because I wanted to see it for myself. And although it hasn't completely grown and covered the thinning patch, it's made HELL of a difference.

It's definitely worth a look into.

I thought it was a bit of a con. But after seeing it myself, I'm convinced.

Nioxin which is owned by Wella do Starter Kits . It's specifically targeted for thinning hair . They are numbered 1-6 and you will fall into a number depending on the level of thinning and wether your hair is chemically treated etc. they do a great scalp treatment called a "dermabrasion" which exfoliates the scalp and removes build up around the hair follicles , helps skin surface regeneration by 34% than an untreated scalp. The clients in our salon love it and all see a difference. There is also a great blow drying product called Diaboost which increases the diameter of each hair strand. Have a look into it, sure you won't be disappointed :)

Ariellas' Dressy Mist is a heat activated spray on thickner that smells neutral and adds lots of volume when blow dried in to finer hair without weighing the hair down. Usually a shorter style is better for thinning clients...you have to find the "magic length" I call it not to short like a buzz but not @ a length that looks like your trying to disguise thinning hair. A toussled messy look usually blends thinner hair spots nicely with lots of textured layers so the srorter textured hair pushes up the longer hair making textured volume.

AllanJudge, if the client is already bald the product won't do anything obviously.

However, at the beginning of male pattern baldness it does work. I sent the products home with a member of my family to try. Because I wanted to see it for myself. And although it hasn't completely grown and covered the thinning patch, it's made HELL of a difference.

It's definitely worth a look into.

I thought it was a bit of a con. But after seeing it myself, I'm convinced.

Oh yes I know.
For the hair building fibres to work you have to have surrounding hair so the fibres will grip to it (the hair).

But the products i've mentioned work so well, I use them myself and if I didn't use them i'd not leave the house.

Nioxin which is owned by Wella do Starter Kits . It's specifically targeted for thinning hair . They are numbered 1-6 and you will fall into a number depending on the level of thinning and wether your hair is chemically treated etc. they do a great scalp treatment called a "dermabrasion" which exfoliates the scalp and removes build up around the hair follicles , helps skin surface regeneration by 34% than an untreated scalp. The clients in our salon love it and all see a difference. There is also a great blow drying product called Diaboost which increases the diameter of each hair strand. Have a look into it, sure you won't be disappointed :)
A friend of mine used this because she lost her hair due to an illness and grew back really thin she now has lovely thick glossy hair because of it

A friend of mine used this because she lost her hair due to an illness and grew back really thin she now has lovely thick glossy hair because of it
It's fantastic and smells amazing as well , brand new styling range just out in our salon as well :)

:(:(
It's fantastic and smells amazing as well , brand new styling range just out in our salon as well :)
I got my self some after finding out how much it helped her, I used number 3 loved it but didn't use it long enough to notice a difference only thing was it stung my eyes if I got it in them :( loved the smell tho!

Danny McC i've just bought Nioxin number 6 on your recommendation.
The reviews are all dead good.

Nioxin we are trying first thank you every one xx

3D hair looks interesting I picked up a flyer this week

I bought Nioxin and it's made my hair feel thicker but after reading reviews on it and Nioxin themselves not making any claims, I get the impression it's to make the hair appear thicker as opposed to actually making it thicker. And at £25 i'd rather do that with cheaper alternatives which do exactly the same thing.

I'm gonna use it for 30 days though.

I bought Nioxin and it's made my hair feel thicker but after reading reviews on it and Nioxin themselves not making any claims, I get the impression it's to make the hair appear thicker as opposed to actually making it thicker. And at £25 i'd rather do that with cheaper alternatives which do exactly the same thing.

I'm gonna use it for 30 days though.

You've paid 25 for the trial kit or?

Maybe they don't make claims because they want to under promise?

You've paid 25 for the trial kit or?

Maybe they don't make claims because they want to under promise?

Yes paid £25 for the trial kit, I bought the system 6.

No I should have researched it properly, I normally do with these things. They don't make any false claims on their website of anything.

My hair does feel thicker though, but it's obviously just root boost.
I might buy some Nizoral next.

Latest posts

Back