This nothing to do with beauty, but need some advice!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemma Little

Reaction score
I am currently at job centre claim Universal Credit, have been for almost a year. I've had a stack of work experience in kitchens, retail and a salon and it hasn't helped me get into work what so ever. I'm with this work and health programme that want me to go and do work experience in a shop which is fine, I went to speak to the store manager that was happy to offer me some work experience but she said that they was fully staffed so I could do work experience but wont get me a job. the job centre have now told me that they've signed a deal with Debenhams for work experience for 8 weeks but no jobs will be offered at the end of it. I really dont want to do because it wont lead me to anywhere. what can I say to the job centre so I dont have to do?

I am currently at job centre claim Universal Credit, have been for almost a year. I've had a stack of work experience in kitchens, retail and a salon and it hasn't helped me get into work what so ever. I'm with this work and health programme that want me to go and do work experience in a shop which is fine, I went to speak to the store manager that was happy to offer me some work experience but she said that they was fully staffed so I could do work experience but wont get me a job. the job centre have now told me that they've signed a deal with Debenhams for work experience for 8 weeks but no jobs will be offered at the end of it. I really dont want to do because it wont lead me to anywhere. what can I say to the job centre so I dont have to do?

why is it a bad thing if there is no job at the end of it?
it gets your foot in the door. whats to say in 8 weeks time a staff member may leave and a position will become available, if you show willing and work well they will look straight to you to fill that post and they won't have to retrain new staff and go through the whole palaver of interviewing and advertising etc. i think it's an excellent opportunity. get in there, make friends, hone in on your skills and grab the bull by the horns!!! if you make a good impression your name will be the first in line for future posts x
if you say you don't want to do it your universal credit may be taken from you x

I have done work experience in a salon for 6 months, never got offered a job in that field, had work experience at mark and spencer never had a job after that, ive been a kitchen assistant haven't had anyone chase after me for a job? my CV is full of Work Experience/volunteer No paid work. had a meeting at my local M&CO store and they just said that they can offer me some work experience but they are fully staffed so I wont get a job at the end off it. I dressed in interview clothing and took my cv with me.

how old are you? do you have any qualifications in hair or beauty?
it's difficult to say from an employers perspective without meeting you personally.
is there any particular work field that interests you, that you fancy having a go at?
the world really is your oyster!!
we are so fortunate to live in a country where we can do and be whatever the hell we want as long as we work to achieve it, although i am saying this and i am nearly in my 30s i wish i had this mindset when i left school, there really is no limit to what you can achieve xx

That sounds pretty rubbish. It’s demoralising enough looking for work but what you’ve described sounds almost like going back to victorian times and the system of the poor house for the wretched underclass. :eek:

At least an Apprenticeship scheme, whilst poorly paid, leads to a qualification at the end of it.

I’d speak to your local Citizens Advice and find out if your benefits are affected if you refuse to do the supposed work experience, when presumably you don’t really need seeing as you have already amassed plenty of work experience. :rolleyes:

how old are you? do you have any qualifications in hair or beauty?
it's difficult to say from an employers perspective without meeting you personally.
is there any particular work field that interests you, that you fancy having a go at?
the world really is your oyster!!
we are so fortunate to live in a country where we can do and be whatever the hell we want as long as we work to achieve it, although i am saying this and i am nearly in my 30s i wish i had this mindset when i left school, there really is no limit to what you can achieve xx
I hold a Level 2 beauty therpay qualifaction and I am 22 I would like to do nails and make up but I haven't got the money to pay for the courses to do nails and Im not willing to save up to do it if im unsuccessful.

I hold a Level 2 beauty therpay qualifaction and I am 22 I would like to do nails and make up but I haven't got the money to pay for the courses to do nails and Im not willing to save up to do it if im unsuccessful.
If you've already got level 2 Beauty Therapy (which includes manicure and pedicure), I'm pretty sure you would be eligible to do a level 3 nail or Makeup course and as you're over 19 you would be entitled to the Adult Learner Loan if you studied at college. You don't have to pay anything back until you are earning over £21k.

That sounds pretty rubbish. It’s demoralising enough looking for work but what you’ve described sounds almost like going back to victorian times and the system of the poor house for the wretched underclass. :eek:

At least an Apprenticeship scheme, whilst poorly paid, leads to a qualification at the end of it.

I’d speak to your local Citizens Advice and find out if your benefits are affected if you refuse to do the supposed work experience, when presumably you don’t really need seeing as you have already amassed plenty of work experience. :rolleyes:
Your payments stop if you refuse to do it. My brother recently had a similar situation of go work in Poundland for 8 weeks unpaid. He was going to suck it up and do it but sadly my nan who is currently gravely ill was taken to the hospital and even then they weren't interested in the reason he didn't attend. He was at her bedside and they wanted him to come in straight away.

Your payments stop if you refuse to do it. My brother recently had a similar situation of go work in Poundland for 8 weeks unpaid. He was going to suck it up and do it but sadly my nan who is currently gravely ill was taken to the hospital and even then they weren't interested in the reason he didn't attend. He was at her bedside and they wanted him to come in straight away.

Your poor brother in both senses of the word. Kick you when you’re down eh?
Why are privately owned companies given free labour by this government?
Who are the shareholders raking in the profits from this little back handed deal?
I can see the Tory press lapping it up. :rolleyes:

I can see some benefits to short term voluntary work for a longer term unemployed person, but it should be entirely voluntary on the part of the worker.

I’m 21 and Have me level 2 and 3 qualifaction I would defo recomed do anther course because now days salon wise people just want some that can do everything you can defo get a loan for it and I think it would benefit you because you have the experience and that’s also important and you would probley find some people will hire you while your training that what happens with me studying my level 3 I got a job in a salon doing level 2 treatment and I’ve been there ever since so look into that

you are accountable and responsible for your own actions, the only way you will be unsuccessful is if you allow yourself to be unsuccessful, do your research, put your graft in, reap the rewards! nothing is ever handed to us xx

you are accountable and responsible for your own actions, the only way you will be unsuccessful is if you allow yourself to be unsuccessful, do your research, put your graft in, reap the rewards! nothing is ever handed to us xx

Sassy Stylist is right, you've had a rough ride so far, but only you can change that. Read posts on here, salons and spas are crying out for staff, get proactive, email every salon or spa in your area, let them know you're looking for work, go in for an interview with a positive attitude and good work ethic you will get a job easily. Staff that want to work hard, and have positive attitudes, but cant quite do everything are much more valuable than someone who has a bad attitude or is lazy.

Most salons will give you more training or send you on courses if they think you need it too aswell.

You create your own destiny, and right now you are needed!

Latest posts

Back