Thoughts and policies for children/no children in the salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButterflyQ

Reaction score
For those working in beauty salons, what are your policies, if any, for children being in the salon? Quite a few don't allow children, and others do.
I work in a salon where children and babies are welcome, but a number of times it has disrupted the treatment I'm trying to do. To list a few examples..
- Baby on mummy's lap whilst I'm doing her Shellac, causing her to smudge nails whilst jiggling and wriggling to keep baby happy
- Baby or children crying and throwing a tantrum which I can hear through the walls when I'm with clients trying to have a relaxing massage or facial.
- Young child climbing all over mummy whilst she's having her eyebrows done.
- Mum breastfeeding her new born baby whilst I'm waxing her legs (this one make me really nervous).

I understand kids are kids and babies need feeding etc, but when it affects your work or the standard of the treatment, what's the best way to deal with it?
And what do you say to clients who question your no child policy?

I know exactly what you mean butterfly as I have been in every situation.I am mobile now and my pet hate is jiggling the baby on the lap whilst doing shellac.....however I have a lot of clients who use me because I am child friendly and it's Saves them the hassle of childcare whilst having beauty treatments done....my main concern is if one of the babies were to have an accident from touching a product or implement or have hot wax drip on them then I don't think from an insurance view we would have a leg to stand on.so what I do now is I allow the child present and mom can do what ever she needs to do mid treatment to comfort the child for as long as she wants as long as it is not in the close vicinity of equipment or products. Maybe I am wrong I don't know? It will be interesting to see other views

Personally I would like to make my salon a no phone and no children zone!

I've had clients sat having their nails done making more noise on their phone than any child could, I've also had clients with children who have not respected the fact that other people are here to relax or that I don't want my property used as a toy or a climbing frame!

I once had a client book in for a Hollywood, bought her daughter in and stuck her down on the end of the bed with a Peperami and a bag of crisps!

Ah yes! Food mess and smells are other things I've experienced in the salon with children around [emoji23] interesting to hear your views, thank you! Xx

We welcome children and babies. We have a very spacious reception and a lot of clients with young children. I'm also a breastfeeding counsellor so it's a win win for our ladies. However, I'm not averse to a bit of "Oi stop climbing on my sofa" etc. We welcome them on certain days when a squeaking baby won't disturb others!

We also have clients that bring dogs but that's a whole different thread!

Vic x

As a client, I want a lovely relaxing service such as a massage and a chance to get away from being a mum myself for an hour or so. I definitely do not want to hear other people's kids kicking off or mothers yelling at them. I can go to Tesco's for that pleasure.

That said, I know some children will quietly sit watching a video on a tablet or read a book without making any fuss.

As a client, I want a lovely relaxing service such as a massage and a chance to get away from being a mum myself for an hour or so. I definitely do not want to hear other people's kids kicking off or mothers yelling at them. I can go to Tesco's for that pleasure.

That said, I know some children will quietly sit watching a video on a tablet or read a book without making any fuss.
I'm with you. I would never entertain a child if there was a massage or lovely relaxing facial taking place. Did do a Hollywood today with a baby watching - slightly disconcerting!

Vic x

I'm with you. I would never entertain a child if there was a massage or lovely relaxing facial taking place. Did do a Hollywood today with a baby watching - slightly disconcerting!

Vic x

Noooo. I couldn't do that.

I know this is different but I had a dentist appointment and had my partners little girl with me and I was not worried but anxious at how she would react with someone proding round in my mouth as she's just found her tongue and everything is what are you doing and what's that for but she was good as gold sat her in the chair in the room put CBeebies bing on for her and I didn't hear a peep! I think it all depends on the child what time of the day it is and wether parents have come prepared to keep them occupied! I don't think I could put a no children policy into action if I had my own salon as not every child is a handful!

Vic x

I once did a half leg wax whilst my client breast fed her baby!

This is a bit different but the same as well.

Our salon is in a strip mall. The bar business next to us has a female owner who is a loud bully. She uses people and scares them into complying because she is loud and intimidating.

She brought her two little girls for a cut with the stylist. Then left. Left the children so she could "go get work done" at her business. These kids tore the salon apart. Ran around breaking things, including a cabinet, and spilled food everywhere.

When the stylist finished the first girl, she brought her next door to her mother. The mother sent her back to us because "she had work to do". We were in complete disbelief. All in all we babysat for almost two hours.

Long story short, she brought the girls back today so the stylist "could watch them". I said no, our insurance won't cover without a parent present, and she had a FIT. Words were exchanged but I held my ground. She was very angry but I'm too old to care.

I expect her back any time to yell some more.

This is a bit different but the same as well.

Our salon is in a strip mall. The bar business next to us has a female owner who is a loud bully. She uses people and scares them into complying because she is loud and intimidating.

She brought her two little girls for a cut with the stylist. Then left. Left the children so she could "go get work done" at her business. These kids tore the salon apart. Ran around breaking things, including a cabinet, and spilled food everywhere.

When the stylist finished the first girl, she brought her next door to her mother. The mother sent her back to us because "she had work to do". We were in complete disbelief. All in all we babysat for almost two hours.

Long story short, she brought the girls back today so the stylist "could watch them". I said no, our insurance won't cover without a parent present, and she had a FIT. Words were exchanged but I held my ground. She was very angry but I'm too old to care.

I expect her back any time to yell some more.

Do you have the equivalent of Social Services for children in Canada? I'd have taken them in and then rung them to say they'd been abandoned at the salon. She wouldn't do it again!

Yes we do. I cannot imagine any scenario where I would have left my kids at a place of business.

Omg @attitude that is absolutely disgusting!! If she's "too busy" for her children she shouldn't of had them in the first place.
What a horrible woman! No wonder her kids run riot, seems it's the only way they get attention - beit the wrong kind of attention

Ah I totally get this
I worked on a busy brow bar with my clients sat on a bar stool kind of chair in a department store for 3 years, and the amount of times clients have begged me to have their child/baby sat on ther knee while I do their brows! Why aren't they concerned that wax could drip onto their baby's head? I've had baby's screaming the place down so badly that the whole store went quiet and customers shopping would stop and stare at me. And also make me run behind with my clients because of all the stopping and starting! So glad I do brows from home now!

Children are an occupational health and safety risk in a salon. If they wont sit down and been seen and no heard then leave them with a sitter. Id never drag my kids to a salon. What kid wants to sit quietly as their mum gets her nails done or hair waxed? I used to have a child friendly day on a mon and tue as it was my quiet days but to be honest kids are a hassle for the parent and the therapist so i soon stopped it.

Latest posts

Back