Thriving salon vs average salon: what's the difference?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saleon

Reaction score
Some salons do quite well for themselves, and others barely scrape by. I have some ideas on the differences but still, I mostly wonder why such a large spread :idea:

What you think are the key differences between a salon that makes $80,000-$100,000 a year (a thriving salon) for the owners...

...compared to one that that makes say $30,000 to $40,000 (a "getting by" type of salon)?

Attitude, skill and customer service...if any of these 3 things are slacking, the salon will slack....

Never get too complacent in your clients and craft.

Confusion is a lifestyle - not a state of mind :eek:

Never stop learning, and never underestimate the power of retail.

Attitude, skill and customer service...if any of these 3 things are slacking, the salon will slack....

Never get too complacent in your clients and craft.

Confusion is a lifestyle - not a state of mind :eek:

I 100% agree with attitude. Clients really do pick up on the environment within a salon- especially regulars. I can think of many examples over the years where clients have commented about other staff members if they didn't seem happy or they could tell if the boss was in that day etc. You have to remember not to cross the line and always be happy and friendly even if you are not or don't feel good. Do not get complacent.

Never stop learning, and never underestimate the power of retail.

I would say that retail has taken my salon from average to thriving. We are going to have to go vat registered this year. Most salons will baulk at this quoting having to earn 20% more to earn the same. Our retail is so high that getting our vat back will be fan bloody tastic.

As Lynn says, the power of retail is really underestimated in the beauty and hair business. I made it my mission to retail wherever and whenever with my only proviso being that if they didn't need it I wouldn't sell it to them, so no sale was better than any sale!

It has transformed my business.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

And never take your existing client base for granted. So many people do offers for new clients, forgetting that it is their existing clients who are paying their bills week in week out.

Remember to let your existing clients know how important they are to you and your business!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Can I asked what kind of things you are retailing ??

I agree customer service is important and training 😃

understanding the difference between turnover and profit

I think it all about the salon culture that you create. I think it all about the personal touch.
People don't just want to look great (lots of technically great stylists out there), they want to feel amazing.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

For me it's the personal touch too .... Remembering the last colour they had or the product they bought ... Following up things and making them feel special and individuals as they are instead of another client :) go that extra mile ... I've been known to drop a coat of my clients who lives the opposite way to me on the way home she was so grateful and when I moved so did she with me :) consistency is key too so many of us can get lazy and think of it's only such n such she can put her coat on her lap etc why should she ... She's a long standing customer so give her the long standing customer service that she deserves after all our industry is a added luxury to people's lives 👍👍👍

Also changing things slightly adding new treatments or a new retail item in the salon / changing the treatment rooms slightly creates a sense of a ever changing growing company ... Not stayed and boring but reviving customers by them noticing that energy thought time and money is putting money back into the buisness to allow customers to be inquisitive and excited for us and the brands :)

Last edited:
Almost forgot... Consistency!

Can I asked what kind of things you are retailing ??

I agree customer service is important and training 😃

Everything. Skincare, make up, varnish, varnish remover and so on. We also offer free P and P so those that have bought from us in the past hopefully re buy over the phone. We also retail loads of gift vouchers promoting them with the fact that they have no expiry and are still valid if they are lost or mislaid as we have a computer record!
X

I have to say, as a home salon the only thing i retail is solar oil. I'd like to retail more but am unsure how to deal with the sales in my tax return as i do it myself, so i havent introduced anything else.

Any tips? Xx

I have to say, as a home salon the only thing i retail is solar oil. I'd like to retail more but am unsure how to deal with the sales in my tax return as i do it myself, so i havent introduced anything else.

Any tips? Xx

If you are a sole trader, you do it like everything else. Your purchases are an expense and your retail is a profit just like a treatment x

Talk to a bookkeeper or the Revenue about this; they will be happy to advise you. Don't lose out on the retail revenue simply because of a bookkeeping query!

This is something I want to concentrate on next year is retailing.

If you are a sole trader, you do it like everything else. Your purchases are an expense and your retail is a profit just like a treatment x

Thank you so much x

100% customer service! We have a customer service award :D we are very down to earth but still proffesional and we are having to train our other therapists in treatments to be able to take on new clients.
My 2nd is the therapists, We took on a therapist (my 2nd cousin) 12 months ago who came back from Australia after spending her time there as a therapist, she has made our business twice as successful, she is a bit rubbish at maths and spelling names ha! but everything else from customer service, quality of treatments to retailing she is spot on and is constantly booked with her regulars, she has encouraged the other therapists including me to succeed to our full potential and it helps that we are all family members so we all have the same goal! we have clients who just book an hour out every week to have a chat and a few treatments its all about the atmosphere!

God I sound like a real boaster but I am just so proud of the salons success xx

Latest posts

Back