Tint or tone? Help please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janine1974

Reaction score
My client has long, tinted level 4/5 with an inch root base 5 with approx 50% grey.

She wants the roots taking to a level 6, highlights scattered throughout about the same level if not a little lighter.

She doesn't want me to remove build up of existing colour, just lift using highlights and olaplex to protect the hair. Once I've lifted the highlights, I cant decide whether to use permanent 6/3 or 7/7 or colour touch or just a toner over them? Or would anyone suggest a nice tone that's not warm?

What would you expert colour technicians advise? She doesn't want a drastic change, just gradually going lighter than the current level 4. I'm doing it Tomorrow so any help would be massively appreciated!! [emoji16][emoji3]

Or was thinking of toning with CT 7/81?

I wouldn’t decide on the toner until you’ve lifted the colour as it really depends on what’s exposed after lifting, that will need neutralising. I usually take along several tubes of colour so I’ve got my options covered.
Also, I recommend toning with CT rather than Koleston as any colour build up plus bleaching is likely to leave her hair quite porous and you need the bigger colour molecules that sit outside the cuticle layer.

I wouldn’t decide on the toner until you’ve lifted the colour as it really depends on what’s exposed after lifting, that will need neutralising. I usually take along several tubes of colour so I’ve got my options covered.
Also, I recommend toning with CT rather than Koleston as any colour build up plus bleaching is likely to leave her hair quite porous and you need the bigger colour molecules that sit outside the cuticle layer.
Yes that's true, I'm going to Sally's tonight so which would you stock up on and have as back up just in case? I'm happy to buy a few as they'll get used up anyway many thanks for your reply [emoji16]

Latest posts

Back