Tinting - bottom lashes help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanitybeauty1

Reaction score
I've noticed lately that when I do a lash tint the bottom lashes are never as dark as the top lashes!

My technique is Vaseline on any surrounding skin, a skin protection guard under bottom lashes or half a cotton disc dampened which ever I have to hand. Apply mixed tint to top lashes which do coat bottom ones but not as much and apply cotton disc on top. Am I doing something wrong?

Has anyone got any tips on how to tint the bottom ones better without having client to leave eyes open and literally coating them too? Would a disposable mascara wand help? Can't imagine getting much product on the lashes that way.

Any tips would be great! X

Has any client ever comment about this. Do you put the moon shape cotton disc under or over the bottom lashes ?

How long do you leave the tint on.

A few have asked if i can put more on, most of them don't but I can tell that they should be darker in my opinion and if im having to add more tint because a client has asked for darker than i need to find a better technique rather than using more product and more of my time.

I put the disc underneath the lower lashes.

The tint I use says 10-15 min for lashes which is what i do, normally do around 10 minutes though.

I think the problem is that I'm not able to get enough product on the lower lashes. x

I always ask the client to look up then I stroke a little bit of tint into bottom lashes, a tiny bit usually 'clumps' them together if you know what I mean so you don't need to use much, do this on both eyes then ask client to close and tint as normal, I always get really good feedback from clients with this and they always say 'the last place never bothered with bottom lashes!' So they do notice the little things :) xx

I've noticed lately that when I do a lash tint the bottom lashes are never as dark as the top lashes!

My technique is Vaseline on any surrounding skin, a skin protection guard under bottom lashes or half a cotton disc dampened which ever I have to hand. Apply mixed tint to top lashes which do coat bottom ones but not as much and apply cotton disc on top. Am I doing something wrong?

Has anyone got any tips on how to tint the bottom ones better without having client to leave eyes open and literally coating them too? Would a disposable mascara wand help? Can't imagine getting much product on the lashes that way.

Any tips would be great! X

Just to add I've never had any clients say its overly uncomfortable when I tint the bottom lashes, as long as they're looking as far up as they can xx

In the salon I am in, the tint we use stays on for 20 minutes. We never bother we bottom lashes.

I always ask the client to look up then I stroke a little bit of tint into bottom lashes, a tiny bit usually 'clumps' them together if you know what I mean so you don't need to use much, do this on both eyes then ask client to close and tint as normal, I always get really good feedback from clients with this and they always say 'the last place never bothered with bottom lashes!' So they do notice the little things :) xx

Thank you! I was thinking thats what i need to do but was worried incase it stings at all, and i get worried it may move into tear duct if you know what i mean lol I will try this with my next client :) thanks again x

When you first apply the tint, with their eyes closed you can brush up from under the lower lashes first. This helps to catch all the lower lashes but saves them from keeping their eyes open while you brush tint on to the lower lashes.
Then brush tint down on to the top lashes. When you have a good coverage I then put cotton wool pads on and leave for 10 mins.
Hope you understand what I mean. Xx

I was taught the old fashioned way. Vaseline the top and bottom. Put on your half moon cotton wool disk or tinting paper. Ask client to look up and the with their eyes open paint the bottom lashes. Once they are covered ask them to close their eyes and paint the top lashes. You do have to be confident and have a steady hand. Doing it this way grabs those hard bottom lashes. I know modern tinting is not taught this way anymore, but the old fashioned way is still the best.

I was taught not to tint unless the eyes were closed, just incase tint gets in.

I find with older ladies the lower lashes sink back in with the eyes closed so next to no tint gets on the bottom, & it annoys me! Id love to get them tinted. Xx

Argh can I just say I.would never tint the bottom lashes with the eye open it would only take the ceiling lights to cause the eye to water while looking up.to then cause all the tint to.run into.the eye!!!!

Are you brushing it under the lashes like you.do when applying mascara aswell.as on the top of the lashes ? Cause that's how I.get the bottom lashes x

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek mobile app

Straighten out your cotton pad after they've closed their eyes. Sometimes when they close the pad can move a bit and some bottom lashes go underneath! I hold it gently as they close. Then I make sure I have lots of tint on, I do the first eye then the second with a normal amount, then go back to the first with the leftover tint etc. I'm very confident with tinting and the bottom lashes always come out lovely, but personally I wouldn't feel comfortable asking the client to look up while I tint the bottom lashes when I'm happy with my result everytkme xx

The only time I ever ask a client to look up for me to paint bottom lashes is when they're very sparse and short. It's totally fine to do this and I've had no problem and neither has a client. Otherwise just make sure you paint on plenty of tint and brush in different directions to catch all the hairs, also check on tint half way through to check progress

I was taught this way too but I don't do it. I find there's a better result if the tints not too runny. It adheres to the lashes better and I leave on for 10 mins x

Latest posts

Back