Toning help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimmi2506

Reaction score
Hi i am currently training and something just doesnt sit with me.
At college we use wella and when toning hair we use colour touch and the pastel developer. My question is if needing to tone with lets say a 9/18 can i use a 3% 10vol or a 6%20vol. Would the 6%20vol lift any brassy tones that needed lifting and would the 3% 10vol just deposit lighten/darken 1 shade when toning

Hi i am currently training and something just doesnt sit with me.
At college we use wella and when toning hair we use colour touch and the pastel developer. My question is if needing to tone with lets say a 9/18 can i use a 3% 10vol or a 6%20vol. Would the 6%20vol lift any brassy tones that needed lifting and would the 3% 10vol just deposit lighten/darken 1 shade when toning
If you're using colour touch to tone which is recommended then you should really be using the colour touch emulsion in 1.9% or 4%. Pastel developer is for toning with koleston perfect or illumina shades. You wouldn't tone with 6%, this is lifting rather than depositing, meaning the cuticle is opening more than needed for toning, causing more damage.

Thanks for replying ok so 1.9% max 4% for toning. What if i still needed lift so i got to a pale yellow but client wanted platinum white and I needed that extra lift would i use 6% then. Same as if i had a dark client bleached them to a level 5 client wanted lighter but obviously was still very brassy would i second bleach if hair allowed or would i use a 6%with toner for extra lift. I see people on youtube go orange and then get toned and beauriful colour.

Toning the hair isn't meant to lift it, if you need to lift the hair more you either do that wish bleach on already coloured hair, but I suppose on virgin hair you could do it with tint. You would never mix a toner with 6%, that then either becomes a permanent colour which is designed for grey coverage or lightning virgin hair 1level.
To go from orange to neutral or cool, you just need to select the right toner. If you're pulling orange your are at least a base 7, so you wouldn't tone with a 9 as that wouldn't be pigmented enough to counteract the orange on a base 7, so you would tone a blue based 7 or darker.

Latest posts

Back