Toning?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HairByJade

Reaction score
Hi, I am a qualified hairdresser but at college never covered toners, and not really used them myself

Was looking for some advice please...

I have a client who has dark brown hair which currently has a red tinge through due to previously having purple then red hair, now back to brown!

She has asked me for blonde highlights for the summer, I have taken a strand and tested the hair
I applied bleach and left for 50 minutes but has left a horrible orange! Really quite orange in fact.

Any suggestions as to what toner or I could use or how I can achieve this and get to a nice blonde highlight?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Sorry but you're not gonna get blonde from just a toner if its orange.

When doing colour correction I make no promises.
Look at your colour star and opposite orange is blue.
So you need a blue ash toner to neutralise the orange but cams right, its not gonna go blonde this time x

Ok, so what would you suggest, it's harder as my client is after highlights not like I can do little by little as you can with a full head?

This chart should help, which would you say it is? X

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1432245004.668351.jpg

image.jpg
Hair colour is dark brown and after strand testing it is defo orange! I have attached the photo it's not the best tho x

So in your colour line you'd need one to neutralise orange on that level.

If I wasn't confident in it I wouldn't do it to be fair.
Do you know your colour star/ what neutralises which colour?

Because it might go lighter on the client due to her body heat.
So you'd need to be prepared for that and know what to use if that happened x

Not 100% confident but I like a challenge and if I don't take it on I never will. Yeah I know my colour star! This is an awkward one with it being highlights :( I was just looking for some help

You could get a lovely caramel tone with it lifting to that stage. What volume peroxide did you use?

Without knowing what colour line you use I cant really help more than I've tried to.
You need to tone at the level it lifts to.
I'd use 6% with bleach though, slower and cleaner.

I agree with Jamie and with Rachel. You could seriously get a gorgeous caramel tone at that level BUT don't do this unless your confident in what you are doing. This is a bit more than a simple 'challenge'.

If you were with Wella, I would do a mild lightener all over to cleanse some of the old colour out, then dry off and highlight, flooding in between. And be honest with your client: let her know that it will be a work in progress. Under promise so you can over deliver if that makes sense.

Latest posts

Back