Too shy/quiet for this industry?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmmaLF

Reaction score
I was a very shy and quiet child. In recent years I've come out of my shell quite a bit and have no problem talking to strangers. But with some people I struggle to get a conversation going. Sometimes I find i can chat away to a client no problem, especially if they're chatty and kind of start the conversation if you know what i mean? And i'll talk for Ireland. But i find sometimes I still struggle. Like I could do a set of gel polish in complete silence with the only words coming from my mouth being 'now I'll get you to swap hands for me'. I sometimes find it hard to start a conversation. Ill try to ask if they're going somewhere that they're getting their nails done or if its just a treat but once they've answered that its just a treat then that's it. At least if they're going somewhere I can ask about it. Most of the time I'm happy enough doing it quietly as I go silent when i concentrate on doing the nails but dont want the client to feel awkward. I do find I try to start more of a conversation upstairs in the treatment when Im alone with the client and there isnt loads of people around. I think its being downstairs on the salon floor with people around listening that makes me nervous. It sounds stupid but i just feel silly asking questions or starting a conversation. God i sound like a weirdo. I know my work is good but i think its the conversation thats holding me back from building a good client base. My boss has pointed it out on a few occasions that Im too quiet with clients and says the chattiness will come with age but I dont know what to do about it for me. Any advice?

I was a very shy and quiet child. In recent years I've come out of my shell quite a bit and have no problem talking to strangers. But with some people I struggle to get a conversation going. Sometimes I find i can chat away to a client no problem, especially if they're chatty and kind of start the conversation if you know what i mean? And i'll talk for Ireland. But i find sometimes I still struggle. Like I could do a set of gel polish in complete silence with the only words coming from my mouth being 'now I'll get you to swap hands for me'. I sometimes find it hard to start a conversation. Ill try to ask if they're going somewhere that they're getting their nails done or if its just a treat but once they've answered that its just a treat then that's it. At least if they're going somewhere I can ask about it. Most of the time I'm happy enough doing it quietly as I go silent when i concentrate on doing the nails but dont want the client to feel awkward. I do find I try to start more of a conversation upstairs in the treatment when Im alone with the client and there isnt loads of people around. I think its being downstairs on the salon floor with people around listening that makes me nervous. It sounds stupid but i just feel silly asking questions or starting a conversation. God i sound like a weirdo. I know my work is good but i think its the conversation thats holding me back from building a good client base. My boss has pointed it out on a few occasions that Im too quiet with clients and says the chattiness will come with age but I dont know what to do about it for me. Any advice?

Just to let you know: I personally don't care if my tech talks or not, I just want great nails.

Some clients are harder to chat to that others.
Try asking them more about themselves or tell them things that you've been up to.
You'll get used to it. I think it is important to build up a relationship with clients.
And if they don't want to chat they'll just give short answers, in which case you'll know you don't need to chat and can stay quiet x

Im the same im quite shy, with people outside of work i struggle to make conversation, clients im a little different. I just ask the usual questions like "what you doing today... where do you live... what do you do..." some people dont give you much and there's not alot you can do about that x

I think as long as you are polite, friendly and offer a good service it's fine, everyone has different personalities and some clients may prefer someone who is more quiet!
You sound very similar to how I was when I started out working in salons. It might sound a bit strange but I used pretend to be a confident chatty person and eventually it came more natural x

The problem is I've been working in salons for about 3 years lol and I still struggle! Outside of work I can chat away I just feel awkward making awkward conversation. I'm a weirdo I know.

Think positive @EmmaLF - some people will prefer a quiet person who just gets on with giving them great nails! What you think is a weakness could be a strength :)

I just want great service and care. It doesn't matter to me if the nail tech is chatty. I'm not a super outgoing extrovert either.

Latest posts

Back