Trade shows

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuartW

Reaction score
My American wife is looking to attend some trade shows to see what the UK market is offering. She attended/worked many many US based shows and feels it is a great thing to do.

So, UK based trade shows featuring Nails. What is available?

TIA

My American wife is looking to attend some trade shows to see what the UK market is offering. She attended/worked many many US based shows and feels it is a great thing to do.

So, UK based trade shows featuring Nails. What is available?

TIA

Professional Beauty, ExCel London (Februarry)
Pro Beauty North, Manchester (October)
Olympia Beauty, London (September)
Irish Beauty Show, Dublin (March)
Scottish Beauty Show, Glasgow (April)

Professional Beauty, ExCel London (Februarry)
Pro Beauty North, Manchester (October)
Olympia Beauty, London (September)
Irish Beauty Show, Dublin (March)
Scottish Beauty Show, Glasgow (April)

Thank you

I wouldn't recommend Olympia Beauty London in September for nails. It's quite a small show compared to Professional Beauty. Most of the nail trade stands at Olympia this year were American brands (Cuccio and Artistic stands dominated the space) and there didn't seem to be much in the way of education or professional inspiration.

I wouldn't say that the UK leads or inspires nail trends to be honest and the markets seem to be different. I was taught that there are only 2 nail polish manufacturers in the West - one in the US and one in France and they make for all the brands. The person telling me this was the Creative Director for the largest nail brand in the World. He's rarely at the UK trade shows I attend.

In my salon we use American products and we are we constantly disappointed that our best selling, favourite colours are routinely discontinued by the American Creator. There are also supply issues. It's become such a problem that this year I went to Olympia to look for a new range. I was particularly keen to look at a European brand. There wasn't anything better than Cuccio or Artistic, so I ended up just buying 3 new Cuccio colours and the matching Veneer for a polish that I've been waiting to come into stock since February.

I wouldn't recommend Olympia Beauty London in September for nails. It's quite a small show compared to Professional Beauty. Most of the nail trade stands at Olympia this year were American brands (Cuccio and Artistic stands dominated the space) and there didn't seem to be much in the way of education or professional inspiration.

I wouldn't say that the UK leads or inspires nail trends to be honest and the markets seem to be different. I was taught that there are only 2 nail polish manufacturers in the West - one in the US and one in France and they make for all the brands. The person telling me this was the Creative Director for the largest nail brand in the World. He's rarely at the UK trade shows I attend.

In my salon we use American products and we are we constantly disappointed that our best selling, favourite colours are routinely discontinued by the American Creator. There are also supply issues. It's become such a problem that this year I went to Olympia to look for a new range. I was particularly keen to look at a European brand. There wasn't anything better than Cuccio or Artistic, so I ended up just buying 3 new Cuccio colours and the matching Veneer for a polish that I've been waiting to come into stock since February.

Thanks for your reply. Interesting reading.

My wife is 20+ years in the business all of that time in NJ USA. She only uses US/Canadian products and she feels it is difficult - but not impossible - to get them. So far she hasnt found any non US products which are as good or better. She is a pro and a perfectionist who is constantly looking at techniques etc.

She was an Educator in NJ and did a fair bit of travelling to various nail salons and also to trade shows throughout the US. She knows the US business pretty well. Her main reason for wanting to attend trade shows in UK is to see how the market differs from that in US.

Thanks for the responses so far. Lots to think about.......

I’ve used Cuccio for over 3 years and love their veneers and haven’t had any issues with out of stock items in the past. We’re you ordering online or through your rep?

Where Olympia Beauty does stand out is in the nail competition called Nailympia. 900+ contestants from 40+ countries, excellent international judges - outstanding standard. As others have said, the UK is dominated mostly by US brands. The International Beauty show in Dusseldorf might be more interesting - this is dominated by German brands and has multiple halls to all aspects of beauty. Alternatively visit Cosmoprof in Bologna to see some Italian flair, 30+ halls, and take trips to Florence and Venice :)

Like in the US, most European brands private label. Whereas in the US, it is mainly from two US factories, in Europe it is a mixture of those and factories in Germany. Real innovation is rare. It exists but not easy to identify at a trade show in a day.

Where Olympia Beauty does stand out is in the nail competition called Nailympia. 900+ contestants from 40+ countries, excellent international judges - outstanding standard. As others have said, the UK is dominated mostly by US brands. The International Beauty show in Dusseldorf might be more interesting - this is dominated by German brands and has multiple halls to all aspects of beauty. Alternatively visit Cosmoprof in Bologna to see some Italian flair, 30+ halls, and take trips to Florence and Venice :)

Like in the US, most European brands private label. Whereas in the US, it is mainly from two US factories, in Europe it is a mixture of those and factories in Germany. Real innovation is rare. It exists but not easy to identify at a trade show in a day.

Hi Bob,

Thank you for this post.

Attending the shows in Duss and Bologna would be great and no doubt very worthwhile.

Where can I get more details?

Thanks again.

EDIT: Google is my friend. March 2019

Have you looked at LCN from Germany or Bio Sculpture made in South Africa. I could be wrong but I think both of those do gels with matching nail polishes and don’t tend to discontinue colours much. Excellent quality too.

Hi Bob,

EDIT: Google is my friend. March 2019

Hotels in Bologna can be eye-wateringly expensive. Either try booking early, look for an AirBNB bargain, or rent a car and drive in 30km to visit the show. You can buy show tickets online. Lots of car parking around the show. By memory this was around 15 Euro/day. The show is huge - so you will need to do research on the show website and organise the visit. There is one big nail hall, but there are also country booths.

If you visit Dusseldorf the hotels are more reasonable but will still have show prices. The old town in Dusseldorf is nice, and it is worth visiting Cologne (cathedral and amazing Roman museum nearby) and Aachen (cathedral where all German kinds were coronated). Both these towns can be easily reached by train.

If you have any questions, you are welcome to PM me

Hotels in Bologna can be eye-wateringly expensive. Either try booking early, look for an AirBNB bargain, or rent a car and drive in 30km to visit the show. You can buy show tickets online. Lots of car parking around the show. By memory this was around 15 Euro/day. The show is huge - so you will need to do research on the show website and organise the visit. There is one big nail hall, but there are also country booths.

If you visit Dusseldorf the hotels are more reasonable but will still have show prices. The old town in Dusseldorf is nice, and it is worth visiting Cologne (cathedral and amazing Roman museum nearby) and Aachen (cathedral where all German kinds were coronated). Both these towns can be easily reached by train.

If you have any questions, you are welcome to PM me

Thank you for your information and offer to contact you.

Grateful.

Latest posts

Back