Traditional courses vs private courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bougeac

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I learned my basic craft back in 1993 at the vidal sassoon academy. I did a 9 month intensive course which taught all the basics of cutting/colouring etc.

After completing the course i found that there was a fair amount of resentment towards me in some salons where people had qualified down the "traditional route" eg a 3 year apprenticeship where you go to college once a week and for the rest of the time you are working in a salon.

The attitude was sometimes "hey this girl has only been in hairdressing for 9 months and i took 3 years to be able to have the right to work on a salon floor".

In actual fact, i quit my first stylist job after a couple of weeks due to the negativity i was getting (even though i could cut hair well).

I eventually found a job at a really nice salon where the owner himself had got into hairdressing via a similair route to me.

Anyways, what do you guys think?

chris x

I am close to completing my saks course which was a six month course and I can understand where you're coming from. I did work experience not so long back as part of the course and i got the same attitude from some of the staff!

Latest posts

Back