Treatments at hospice as a volunteer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blissful_Beauty

Reaction score
I am about to offer holistic treatments at my local hospice does any one have experience and/or advice they can give me? Thank you

All I can say is from a patients point of view. A very dear friend of one was in the hospital recovering from a large op to remove cancer from part of her body (bowels). She knew she would not get better from it but they were trying to increase her life by giving her an op. I went to visit her and she was all bright and I asked her how she was. She told me all about a girl who had come into the ward, into her room and asked her if she would like her nails painted. She said yes, and the girl did a mini mani on her, gave her a hand massage and she thought this was amazing! Then the girl went round everyone else in the room and offered the same and they all said no! She was gobsmacked because she said it had been such a lovely treat and suprise and it had really made her day.

People like you really do make a difference to patients.

I volunteer at a local cancer support centre and it is wonderful to be able to bring a bit of relief and light into peoples life. I have found it very sad at times when terminal patients lose the fight but knowing that i brightened their last months or days even helps. Be very gentle with people and respect their feelings and conditions and you won't go far wrong. Check what you can and can't do with different circumstances too. You will be doing a wonderful thing xxxx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

All I can say is from a patients point of view. A very dear friend of one was in the hospital recovering from a large op to remove cancer from part of her body (bowels). She knew she would not get better from it but they were trying to increase her life by giving her an op. I went to visit her and she was all bright and I asked her how she was. She told me all about a girl who had come into the ward, into her room and asked her if she would like her nails painted. She said yes, and the girl did a mini mani on her, gave her a hand massage and she thought this was amazing! Then the girl went round everyone else in the room and offered the same and they all said no! She was gobsmacked because she said it had been such a lovely treat and suprise and it had really made her day.

People like you really do make a difference to patients.
Thank you that's really nice, my sister in law is recovering from breast cancer and the staff have been so kind to her and as you say that makes such a big difference. X

I volunteer at a local cancer support centre and it is wonderful to be able to bring a bit of relief and light into peoples life. I have found it very sad at times when terminal patients lose the fight but knowing that i brightened their last months or days even helps. Be very gentle with people and respect their feelings and conditions and you won't go far wrong. Check what you can and can't do with different circumstances too. You will be doing a wonderful thing xxxx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek
Thank you, I did think how it may affect me I hope I will be able to do as you say it feels like something I would really like to do xx

well done for thinking you would like to do this :)
I know some hospices and cancer centers actually employ therapists/hairdressers as then they have to be in certain days and not just willy nilly (I had an interview at one such very large Scottish centre, got the job but couldnt accept as they needed an imediate start and I was 8 months pregnant :( )
best thing to contact the centre you want to work in and ask them. I am due to contact my local hospice soon to offer my services as a volunteer hairdresser :)
as has been said before it is a wonderful thing to do, I know my mum LOVED it when one of the nurses (not a therapist) painted her nails (she kept telling me how it was OPI, none of that rimmel rubbish!) and when the therapist came to do some reflexology on her. It really did make such a difference to how she felt.

Well done, and I hope it all goes well for you xxxx

well done for thinking you would like to do this :)
I know some hospices and cancer centers actually employ therapists/hairdressers as then they have to be in certain days and not just willy nilly (I had an interview at one such very large Scottish centre, got the job but couldnt accept as they needed an imediate start and I was 8 months pregnant :( )
best thing to contact the centre you want to work in and ask them. I am due to contact my local hospice soon to offer my services as a volunteer hairdresser :)
as has been said before it is a wonderful thing to do, I know my mum LOVED it when one of the nurses (not a therapist) painted her nails (she kept telling me how it was OPI, none of that rimmel rubbish!) and when the therapist came to do some reflexology on her. It really did make such a difference to how she felt.

Well done, and I hope it all goes well for you xxxx
Thank you, I enjoy giving treatments and hope I can give a few hours. It's nice to hear how it helps people feel a little better. Xxx

It's a great idea. Personally I would speak to the staff, see what's going on with each person and how they have been, that way you can tailor your talk and service to them without having to delve into their condition.
It's a lovely thing to help people recovering or extending their life. Maybe keep off day out chat and direct to things they can do there (corrie, eastenders, books) so they don't feel like they are missing out or get upset that they may never do it again.

Maybe explain each step you do and give them a lesson on the service so they can recreate it as they wish xoxo

It's wonderful, I recently lost a close friend to cancer. Before she passed I was able to use my hairdressing skills to fulfil her wishes.
I have now been considering doing this for others. I will be using it as a advertising point so people who have loved ones going through it can also book me for them, and I'll be talking to head office about directly offering stuff to the patients.

It can be such a warm uplifting feeling when you see Their smiles and joy from your services. However I sort of disagree with Tomme. I think conversation depends upon the patient. I wouldn't avoid talking about life outside completely, my friend used to enjoy all my stories about outside life, she said it kept her going, remembering there was a life beyond her 4 walls. I personally think you should go in with a smile, start with small chit chat and let them take the lea with conversations. You will get the odd few that will avoid outside life stories but others will be more than up for hearing about your weekends etc xxx

I am so glad I found this.

I am just looking into the same thing but at a Cancer Outreach Centre.

I can imagine it will be very emotionally challenging but also very rewarding. Ita hard to know what we are and are not allowed to do insurance wise though.

It's a great idea. Personally I would speak to the staff, see what's going on with each person and how they have been, that way you can tailor your talk and service to them without having to delve into their condition.
It's a lovely thing to help people recovering or extending their life. Maybe keep off day out chat and direct to things they can do there (corrie, eastenders, books) so they don't feel like they are missing out or get upset that they may never do it again.

Maybe explain each step you do and give them a lesson on the service so they can recreate it as they wish xoxo
Thank you that is re ally helpful I had been running through my mind chatting side, I have clients who like to chat during treatment others who prefer to drift off but did think as you say maybe the conversations will need to be tailored a little more than usual x

It's wonderful, I recently lost a close friend to cancer. Before she passed I was able to use my hairdressing skills to fulfil her wishes.
I have now been considering doing this for others. I will be using it as a advertising point so people who have loved ones going through it can also book me for them, and I'll be talking to head office about directly offering stuff to the patients.

It can be such a warm uplifting feeling when you see Their smiles and joy from your services. However I sort of disagree with Tomme. I think conversation depends upon the patient. I wouldn't avoid talking about life outside completely, my friend used to enjoy all my stories about outside life, she said it kept her going, remembering there was a life beyond her 4 walls. I personally think you should go in with a smile, start with small chit chat and let them take the lea with conversations. You will get the odd few that will avoid outside life stories but others will be more than up for hearing about your weekends etc xxx
Thank you, yes I think it does depend on the individual, also with no real experience of the hospice environment I wondered how I will cope with the inevitable loss of the person and possibly their wish to discuss these things with me, I'm given to understand they are quite uplifting places. Xxx

I am so glad I found this.

I am just looking into the same thing but at a Cancer Outreach Centre.

I can imagine it will be very emotionally challenging but also very rewarding. Ita hard to know what we are and are not allowed to do insurance wise though.
Thank you yes I agree I feel it will be difficult at times, best wishes in your venture a number go geeks have said they are considering this it will be really nice for us all to be able to support each other xx

Absolutely.

It a cause close to my heart.

Latest posts

Back