TV Licence in salon or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkthistle

Reaction score
I read an article today that said there was a loophole in the TV licence law meaning if you can't actually watch live tv there is no need to pay a licence....watching on demand and on youtube etc apparently cant be charged for...I was under the impression that as my salon computer can be used to watch TV programmes I have to pay...but today I tried to stream tv and it wasn't compatible without extra downloads. I don't have a freeview box or anything. What's your thoughts before I volunteer £145?

Not that I generally have time to watch anything at work lol

If you have a TV you have to pay

If not you should be ok as long as you don't start watching tv on it

I've seen this too, and when I'm due to pay my home licence next year I'm going to ring the licensing people, tell them they have no permission to knock my door and I won't be watching live shows.

The licence is from the bbc, which says you are only paying it for live performances, not pre recorded. Xoxo

This is from TV licensing website
TV Licensing - How to tell us you don't watch TV

A reminder of the law
The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorders.
You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.

I can well imagine, even if you can't watch live tv now, they'll close the loophole to say, if it's possible you will still need a licence. I would think you'll get quite a few visits from them too, demanding the licence fee! They like to do that.

This is from TV licensing website
TV Licensing - How to tell us you don't watch TV

A reminder of the law
The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorders.
You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.

I can well imagine, even if you can't watch live tv now, they'll close the loophole to say, if it's possible you will still need a licence. I would think you'll get quite a few visits from them too, demanding the licence fee! They like to do that.

Years back when my mum was cheeky she would turn the colour off the tv when the checkers came, as you don't need a licence for black and white. But.... Because we had a video player we had to have a licence.

To say that, I use my phone and the pc at the salon to watch tv when its quiet, and no licence there. Xoxo

Still need to pay the performing rights to play my iTunes in a public place though lol...always paying out to someone

If you are watching live TV or if you have recorded from live TV then you need a licence. If you are watching from your laptop, computer etc and it is not live then you don't.

We have just looked into this for my son going to Uni and it is fairly clear. If you have your TV connected to an ariel that can receive live TV or a Virgin Media box etc then they will assume that you are watching live TV but if you are doing everything through your computer then it will be ok.:wink2:

I think you'll find that if you have a device that is capable of receiving TV the licencing authority will assume you use it. Obviously its harder for them to keep up with mobile devices.
Business premises which play music or tv also have to have a performance licence and the cost of this is based on the size of the venue.
then again how bothered are they going to be about small businesses and tracking them down?

An old boyfriend of mine got rid of his tv, hdd drive, sky box etc & replaced it with a large screen projector.

He used to hook his laptop up to it & watch stuff on the internet that was not live. So stuff on you tube, free streaming movies, iplayer that kinda thing.

He got a knock on the door from the tv people, he allowed them in to see that he didnt have a tv, the aerial socket had been removed.

The guy said it was fine just as long as he did not watch anything LIVE.

Latest posts

Back