Two coats, too thin?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulieJ

Reaction score
Morning geeks. I use mainly Shellac but have a few Gelish and ibd shades too. Is it right that I can see the free edge of the nail showing when I've done two coats of colour? it's very faint but I don't like it. Should I be doing a third coat or am I applying the colour coats too thin? I feel this way about pretty much all my colours. These are last nights nails ibd Bling Cherries two coats. Thanks in advance for your advice x ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1398929195.047957.jpg

Morning geeks. I use mainly Shellac but have a few Gelish and ibd shades too. Is it right that I can see the free edge of the nail showing when I've done two coats of colour? it's very faint but I don't like it. Should I be doing a third coat or am I applying the colour coats too thin? I feel this way about pretty much all my colours. These are last nights nails ibd Bling Cherries two coats. Thanks in advance for your advice xView attachment 63767

If you're not happy with the opacity, then I'd rather do 3 thin coats to get a nice coverage. Don't be afraid of doing a 3rd layer if you're not happy, and have applied it super thin.

I've found with IBD I've had to do 3 coats with quite a few colours until I'm happy with the coverage.

Not so much with Shellac (apart from Grape Gum & Mint Convertible!)

xx

I rarely have to do 3 coats with shellac but with IBD and gelish seems i always do 3 coats

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek

so with Shellac, I shouldn't be able to see the free edge through it at all, after 2 coats? So I. may be applying it too thin? x

It depends what colour it is - if it's meant to be "opaque" then I personally would like it to be just that. If it's a sheer, like Hot Chilis for example, then you may see the nail through after a couple of coats.

I have IBD Bing Cherries as per your pic, and it's supposed to be opaque and mine covers in 2 coats. So yes, maybe you are doing it a bit too thin xx

and you are running the brush along the free edge to cap it as well? On each layer? xx

Hi Julie - It is very rare that I don't put three coats of gel polish on my clients. I just don't like wimpy looking color, so I ususally apply three coats to get a lush color look... Jan

thanks for all your replies. It's just that I read so often about doing base coat, 2 coats & top coat. I can still see the smile line faintly. Am I being picky? How many of you apply 2 coats of an opaque colour and get no see through at all and how many of you do 3 coats? please xx

It depends, for example Hot Chillis is quite sheer, i usually do 2 coats then ask the client if she likes it or would like another coat, if she's not sure I would put another coat on the little finger to show her what it would look like with 3, and then either continue or wipe that 3rd coat off the little finger with Dsperse and topcoat. I figure if you ask them to decide, they can't grumble. x

I don't think I two coat with any of my colours now, like someone mentioned earlier I like a good solid colour so I'd prefer to do three with all of them then I know it looks good normally and if you hold it up to the light xx

I find I need 3 coats (sometimes 4!) of most shellac shades! Only metallic shades like silver chrome, strawberry smoothie & iced cap can manage properly with 2 coats I find. And a few others too like tutti fruitti xxxx

Most are fine with 2 coats but grape gum is 3, maybe applying a little to sparsely? I can do red baroness or tutti fruiti with one coat if they are having zillionaire etc over the top these seem to be the most opaque colours I've found so far x

Latest posts

Back