UK qualifications?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bellamy

Reaction score
Hi, just interested to know what you guys in the uk have to do to become a qualified hairdresser?

Ive done an nvq level 2. You dont need an awful lot to be honest 😂 the word qualified doesnt really mean anything to me lol x

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Mainstream is An nvq or a vrq there are 3 levels you can get employment usually with a level 2 but most people do the level 3 as well (advanced cuts & colour correction)

You can also do private academy courses which cost a lot but apparantly are better

Where are you from?

Ive done an nvq level 2. You dont need an awful lot to be honest 😂 the word qualified doesnt really mean anything to me lol x

I know what you mean a girl in my class did all her assessments on a block, except a shampoo and set which she failed twice on a real client, couldn't mix up colours at all and didn't have a placement at all has the same qualification as me who did a placement the full year I was at college, picked up extra units I didn't even need, did all my assessments on paying clients, could mix up colours, tone, etc. yet we both have the same qualification to which was a pass or fail and we both passed, so irritated!!!

I know what you mean a girl in my class did all her assessments on a block, except a shampoo and set which she failed twice on a real client, couldn't mix up colours at all and didn't have a placement at all has the same qualification as me who did a placement the full year I was at college, picked up extra units I didn't even need, did all my assessments on paying clients, could mix up colours, tone, etc. yet we both have the same qualification to which was a pass or fail and we both passed, so irritated!!!

They're not bothered who they pass... they get bonuses I think each time they pass a pwrson x

Education is crap for the most part. You pay the money and get your certificates or degrees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm from Australia, so I have no idea what the nvq and that mean lol. Over here we have to to an apprenticeship for 3 years before we can be called qualified, an apprenticeship is full time working in a salon (learning on the job) and going to TAFE 1 day a week or 3 days every 3 weeks, TAFE, which is where we learn everything, colours, cutting, perms, blow drys pin curls, and all the theory things we need to know, if we fail something we just have to do it again till we pass. Most salons here will not let their staff do anyone's hair unless they are qualified or doing apprenticeship and will usually tell clients before hand that they are still learning so and so..
I don't know if I'm wrong but do lots of people over there do their courses then just work mobile or from home?
Their is also private college things that you can go to but they cost a bit I think. :)

I agree the word qualified doesn't really mean anything either lol, I think you learn the most by being busy and working things out for yourself :)

I trained in Australia and it was a four year apprenticeship and then you got your qualification. You attended college, 1 day a week for the first three years. If you're planning on working here in the uk you will need to bring your government certificate saying you're qualified but won't have a problem at all.

The apprenticeships are only 3 years now, I went to TAFE 3 or 4 days every three weeks as I lived a long way from there , the girls who lived closer went once a week. I'm staying in Australia just intrigued as to how things are done differently in different places :))

Yeah i basically mean an apprenticeship. Took me 2 years for my level 2 then i was qualified. I think it only takes a year if you're in full time college

An apprenticeship is pretty much the same in the uk too

Cool I was just wandering

Latest posts

Back