Un ventilated nails salons and the dangers from chemical exposure. Anyone like to make comment??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toxicnailbar

Reaction score
The passage of gasses throughout a building endangering residents above.

one from Bathgate town centre in west Lothian "Five Star Nails And Spa" operating illegally with no extraction damaging health.

Ravair Ltd, "Capture at Source" Ventilation and Extraction systems are the answer. www.ravair.co.uk.

Since I started to do nails I argued with salon owners about ventilation
I came from back office medical but, you didn't need to be a lab tech or medical assistant to recognize the dangers

few air cleaners actually remove dangerous chemicals from the air
read the particulars

my favorite salons had windows... flow through real air but, I work in So Calif... very few months a year we couldn't open windows for hours a day

it's like living near smokers... you smoke even if you don't

good for you for doing something about it, those working in it and their customers... are exposing themselves to a real danger
I wonder how many of them only purchase organic foods?

Changing to products that don’t use monomer is one option to reduce fumes.

I wish there was an odorless acetone or polish remover. That’s the big smell for me.

I’ve been thinking about the impact nail products are having on climate change. Here in the U.K. we have an obligation to take steps to achieve carbon net zero by 2050. I am assessing my carbon footprint and looking at ways to reduce it and nail products are basically planet harming chemicals. I’m not sure I want to earn my living working with them.

The ingredients used in nail polish and solvents, gels etc, all contribute to climate change in their manufacture and then we carry on using them without any real regard for their harmful impact on the planet. I’ve not had any education in how to handle my chemical emissions- in the overall scheme of things it’s unimportant, it’s not going to save the planet if nail polish etc was banned overnight. But it still leaves me with the thorny problem of how I feel about this morally.

Nail products release volatile organic compounds and these break down rapidly in the atmosphere to become air pollution and smog. I’m not sure I want to be offering planet harming services. I’m not sure I want to serve clients that don’t care about the planet and I’m morally conflicted selling to clients who don’t realise that their nail services are harming the planet. I feel all the talk about 10 free, vegan, plastic free and recycling is a distraction from the reality that we are part of the problem that needs fixing.

I’ve got Ravair purifiers - these catch and filter gases unlike most air purifiers which just filter out particles (gas molecules are too tiny to be caught by an hepa filter). And I bag my waste and it’s incinerated in a waste plant that produces electricity. My salon is stuffed with air filtering plants as well. But I still have a feeling of discomfort about this. It’s going to sit on my carbon footprint calculator as the one thing I’m not doing anything to reduce.

I’ve been thinking about the impact nail products are having on climate change. Here in the U.K. we have an obligation to take steps to achieve carbon net zero by 2050. I am assessing my carbon footprint and looking at ways to reduce it and nail products are basically planet harming chemicals. I’m not sure I want to earn my living working with them.

The ingredients used in nail polish and solvents, gels etc, all contribute to climate change in their manufacture and then we carry on using them without any real regard for their harmful impact on the planet. I’ve not had any education in how to handle my chemical emissions- in the overall scheme of things it’s unimportant, it’s not going to save the planet if nail polish etc was banned overnight. But it still leaves me with the thorny problem of how I feel about this morally.

Nail products release volatile organic compounds and these break down rapidly in the atmosphere to become air pollution and smog. I’m not sure I want to be offering planet harming services. I’m not sure I want to serve clients that don’t care about the planet and I’m morally conflicted selling to clients who don’t realise that their nail services are harming the planet. I feel all the talk about 10 free, vegan, plastic free and recycling is a distraction from the reality that we are part of the problem that needs fixing.

I’ve got Ravair purifiers - these catch and filter gases unlike most air purifiers which just filter out particles (gas molecules are too tiny to be caught by an hepa filter). And I bag my waste and it’s incinerated in a waste plant that produces electricity. My salon is stuffed with air filtering plants as well. But I still have a feeling of discomfort about this. It’s going to sit on my carbon footprint calculator as the one thing I’m not doing anything to reduce.
I have to say, what I find amazing about the bigger picture regarding pollution and indestructible materials is the Paris Accord protection of nations like China who are seriously polluting.... Pakistan asked for help from the UN about acid rain from India... and global warming and climate change, is a much bigger picture including solar cycles generally not discussed in the media. Our "hottest year ever" wasn't. Your immediate concern about the inhalation of toxic chemicals and the disposal of chemicals rarely addressed is savvy, while the stress is put on green energy, many nations are no longer working on the issues of toxic materials while they focus on tax supported money making "green energy" projects that make money for "associates". Nail services harming the planet while 30% of the pollution in Calif comes from China.. and that is the pollution that reaches us from across the Pacific... it's great to be aware but, perspective about the bigger picture... is important. And, take the lectures with a grain of salt from the elitists who travel on private jets and support mansions on every continent while they tell us on shopping bags. Friends in Hawaii are dealing with the green, indigenous people loving leaders who want to pour 40 tons of cement on a sacred mountain top and in CA, our "leadership" are plowing fields and cutting trees, pouring roads on land we thought would be parks and inner city green land... to "build homes for everyone who wants to live here". Only if they can supply their own water...

Well quite, but people cause pollution - not nations. Whilst it’s true global corporations are profiteering as the planet burns, that doesn’t mean we have to be their customers.

It’s actually Western demand for cheap goods from developing Countries that causes most of the climate changing pollution. China is the bogeyman because they use coal powered power stations to manufacture goods for the West. The US is the second largest polluter globally after China and that doesn’t count all the goods Americans buy that are made in China. The US is China’s most valued customer.

Most nail products are made in developing economies, where there are fewer regulations about pollution, where energy is coal powered and where agricultural deforestation to produce raw materials is a huge problem.

It’s about owning up to the impacts we, as individuals, have on the planet and our moral duty to our children and grandchildren. There is no Planet B.

Latest posts

Back